Okay, ladies. Raise your hand if any of the following sound familiar: You've rolled your eyes when your married friends gush a little too much about their relationships on Facebook. You've carped about your hubby's faults to your friends on girls' night out. (That's why it exists, right?) You've heard him refer to you as "the boss" or, worse, "the old ball and chain" to his buddies (especially when he needs an excuse to bail on plans.)
Even the most happily hitched among us downplay the awesomeness of marriage every once in a while. But from one married woman to another, I have this request: Please stop! Instead, start bragging about your husband. Boast about your marriage. Profess your love for your husband, publicly.
Why? Not just because he deserves it, but because it will make your relationship even better. Here's why:
1. It will make him to want to do more. When you plant seeds of affirmation, they grow. Say, "My husband is amazing!" and see how long it takes for him to live up to that affirmation. I'm betting he'll rise to occasion, because that's what great men do. Bragging about your guy will inspire him to love you better.
2. It'll make him look good (or bad—in a good way). "Man, pull back a bit. You're making the rest of us look bad!" Start bragging about your man, and he'll probably start hearing that from his fellow married friends. And trust me: It's one of the most uplifting statements a man can hear from his buddies. He'll feel good about it, even if he takes a little ribbing.
3. The happiest wives in the world do it. As part of my research for my book, Happy Wives Club, I traveled to 12 countries on six continents to interview couples who have been happily married 25 years or more. One common denominator—and one of the things that struck me the most—was how unashamed these spouses were to dote on one another. The wives bragged about their husbands and their husbands boasted about them in return. These couples have clearly found a happy-marriage secret that works!
In a world when 47 percent of marriages end in divorce, we all need to see and hear from the other 53 percent. So don't be afraid to celebrate your marriage—and your man—with a little Facebook love.
*Fawn Weaver is a marriage advocate, the author of the New York Times bestselling book, *Happy Wives Club and the founder of HappyWivesClub.com.