Family matters! Particularly when it comes to planning a wedding. They may get on your nerves and push every button you have along the way, but at the end of the day, they've got your back and you ought to do the same. So for the sake of keeping the peace and bringing everyone together during this special time, we suggest choosing your words wisely and thinking before you speak, brides.
"Sorry, I don't want your help."
It's okay to think this, but when you have family members who'd really like to be involved in some form or manner, it's nice to give them something to do that way they feel important. It doesn't have to be anything crazy or big and can be as simple as handling the RSVPs, addressing envelopes, assembling the welcomes bags or just helping you choose between a few décor options you've already narrowed down to your favorites.
"That's the worst idea I've ever heard."
Maybe it is a terrible idea that you'd never actually consider, but mom doesn't really need to know that, now does she? Avoid hurt feelings and keep an open mind (or at least pretend) by kindly thanking her for the suggestion and telling her you'll take it into consideration. Oftentimes, people just want to feel like they've been heard. Whether or not you take the idea and run with it isn't all that critical.
"Well, if we had more money we could..."
Whatever you do, please don't try and guilt trip your poor parents into spending more on the wedding than they've budgeted for. If mom and dad are footing the bill and have already laid down the law on how much they can afford to give you, it's your job to supplement whatever extras you and your fiancé would like to have on the big day. Be thankful they're being so generous in the first place!
"I don't care what you want."
We're not saying you should be a total pushover and give into your family's every demand, however, it's not cool to not even consider compromising. For example, if mom is dying for you to get married by a priest and you're just not into it, perhaps you could let her pick (or do it together) a short religious reading to be read during the ceremony. Sometimes it's nice to just keep the peace.
"You have terrible taste."
If you don't have anything nice to say, you probably shouldn't say it at all. This is especially true when it comes to weddings and personal style. So next time your sister-in-law sends you pics of princess-style ball gowns or lavish ballroom weddings just smile and nod and tell her, "Oh, how pretty", then go ahead and do exactly as you prefer.
"It's all about me!"
Calm down, bridezilla. While the wedding is 90% about you and your fiancé, the other 10% is about friends and family coming together to support you as a couple on this wonderful journey called marriage. Instead of being bratty, try and be thankful that you have a family who actually wants to be involved and that texts you with their ideas, even if they're not always wanted.