Until you're in that boat with a ring on your finger and in the midst of all the planning craziness, there are some things you just won't get about wedding planning — no matter how hard you try or how badly you want to. This one goes out to all the engaged girls out there and all the happily married brides who have been there, done that.
1. That selecting a wedding date isn't as simple as just selecting a wedding date. There are a lot of things (and people!) we have to take into consideration first so please bear with us.
2. The sheer anxiety you feel when you're forced to pick and choose bridesmaids amongst your BFFs. Ugh, why can't they all just be in your wedding? Is 15 bridesmaids too many?
3. That you genuinely wish you could give everyone a plus one. You really, really do. But that there's also this thing called a budget and you have to stick to it, believe it or not.
4. That asking, or worse, telling us, you're going to bring a plus one a few days before the wedding is enough to make us break out in hives. You have no idea how much sweat and tears went into getting that darn seating chart just right.
5. How annoyingly awesome, yet kind of necessary, it is to have a whole year to plan your wedding and say yes to the dress.
6. The agony you feel when you've finally found the perfect wedding venue only to discover that the next Saturday available isn't until two years out.
7. The fact that you'll learn a whole new language once you get engaged, which will completely baffle your single/unengaged friends and your fiancé. Now, who wants to talk table settings?
8. That not RSVP'ing to our wedding is so not the same as not RSVP'ing to the birthday party invite we sent on Facebook. We actually need to know how many people will be attending so we can plan out things like seating charts, wedding favors, food, booze, and hotel room blocks. For our own peace of mind, please send it in on time.
9. That just because we want every little detail to be perfect doesn't necessarily make us bridezillas. In fact, we want it to be perfect because we want you and all of our other guests to have fun at the wedding. Because then we have fun too.
10. That as much as we complain about the planning process, we wouldn't change it for the world because at the end of the day we get to marry the person we love and we couldn't be more excited about that.