The more we talk about wedding beauty, the more the conversation veers toward wellness and the superpower ingredients that will make you glow from the inside, both physically and psychologically. No one is a better example of this than California bohemian Amanda Chantal Bacon, who was at the forefront of the wellness movement when she opened her Venice, California, shop, Moon Juice, in 2011. From organic, cold-pressed juices to mineral (and seemingly magical) powders with names like Beauty Dust, Brain Dust, and Sex Dust, she sells it all. And if her perfect, makeup-free complexion is any proof, the Beauty Dust works. (We’ll let you guys try that last dust to see for yourself how it works—maybe take it with you on your honeymoon?)
But we’re serious on the low-maintenance, makeup-free thing—the only quasi-traditional beauty product Chantal Bacon uses on the regular is Odacité Clair de Lune https://odacite.com/products/clair-de-lune , “a super hydrating, calming essential oil that gives my skin a really dewy look,” she says.) What she’s high-maintenance about, however, are the glow-getting ingredients, below, that you need to incorporate into your wedding beauty regimen, stat.
1. Probiotics. You might be hearing a lot about probiotics right now, and that’s because they help solve a myriad of issues, from bloating to problematic skin, anxiety, and stress. Here’s why, in a nutshell: Probiotics are good bacteria that rid your body of the bad bacteria, and help break down food for optimal digestion. “You are what you eat, but you also are what you don’t release,” Chantal Bacon says. “A healthy gut means clearer skin.” (Overuse of antibacterial hand soaps and antibiotics—both of which kill good bacteria along with the bad—have made it necessary for almost everyone to start taking a probiotic supplement daily.) You can also get probiotics in fermented foods, like kimchi, sauerkraut, and kombucha. Try Moon Juice Probiotics or HealthForce Nutritionals Friendly Force: The Ultimate Probiotic.
2. Adaptogens. If you haven’t heard of these yet, you’re about to hear about them a lot more—they’re the latest trend in the world of wellness. Adaptogens are herbs and minerals that regulate hormones, reduce inflammation, and ease the effects of stress, whether mental, physical, or emotional. (So if you’re anxious about wedding planning, or get monthly breakouts, these could be a lifesaver for you.) Chantal Bacon’s favorite adaptogen is Schisandra Berry: “along with reducing hormone- and stress-induced inflammation—possibly the biggest enemy of happy skin—it also protects the liver from toxins,” she says. Ashwagandha is also a popular adaptogen, which you can mix into smoothies, tea, or warm water.
3. Pearl. Not just to wear for wedding jewelry, “pearl is a legendary beauty mineral that eases blemishes, inflammation, and flushing,” Chantal Bacon says. “It’s in the Beauty Dust (the aforementioned mineral powder that increases radiance), but I also like to add a pinch to smoothies, and I brush it on my face before bed.”
4. Tocotrienols. Derived from rice, tocos, as it’s known, is a great source of fat-soluble vitamin E, an antioxidant that’s essential for hydrated skin; it also helps skin heal quickly. Plus, it tastes delicious—its creamy texture makes it great to add to your morning matcha or coffee. Try Sun Potion or Moon Juice’s version.
5. Lucuma. If you have a sweet tooth, swap your sugar for low-glycemic lucuma, a tropical fruit that helps reverse the effects of aging. Sprinkle it in powder form on oatmeal—that’s what Chantal Bacon does.