Sarah Ferguson, the Duchess of York, Was Reportedly Not Invited to the Royal Wedding Reception

Only 250 guests made the cut

Updated 05/07/18

David M. Benett/Dave Benett/Getty Images for Formula E

Sarah Ferguson, the Duchess of York, is reportedly being "snubbed" once again at a royal wedding. This time, however, it's not as bad. On Sunday, the Daily Mail reported that Prince Andrew's ex-wife, who was not invited to Prince William and Kate Middleton's wedding, has received an invitation to Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's wedding on May 19. Fergie will also be going to the general reception after, which is more than most of us could hope for. But she won't be going to the private second reception, which Prince Charles is throwing for an intimate guest list of 250, and she's not happy about it, the Daily Mail reported.

According to the Daily Mail, the Duchess of York has reportedly been "complaining about the 'snub' to anyone who will listen," despite the fact that certain royal sources think she's "lucky to be going at all." The tabloid reported that Ferguson only made it on the general guest list due to some intervention on the part of Prince Harry, who personally made sure she got an invitation and has reportedly introduced her to Markle.

"Numbers are limited to the evening party, she is not a member of the Royal Family any more and Prince Charles simply doesn’t have time for her," an insider told the Daily Mail. "He just can’t see why she is still such a big part of his brother’s life."

The Duchess was famously left off the 1,900-strong guest list to Prince William and Kate Middleton's wedding back in 2011. But since then, the Daily Mail reported, she's been slowly invited to a few royal events, like the Royal Ascot and the royal family's summer vacay at Balmoral Castle in Scotland. Nevertheless, the Queen still tries to make sure Fergie doesn't end up in the same room as Prince Philip, who reportedly holds a "deep-seated grudge" against Ferguson since the divorce between Ferguson and his son, according to the tabloid.

"It will be fascinating to see if the Duke of Edinburgh acknowledges her," one Daily Mail source said about Prince Philip's presence at the wedding. "He has held a grudge against her for a long, long time and normally refuses to even be in the same room as her."

This might not be a huge problem for either royal, though, because Prince Philip might have to miss the royal wedding altogether. The 96-year-old prince is reportedly still recovering from his hip replacement surgery on April 4, a palace rep said at a press briefing, so he might have to skip his grandson's nuptials.

Meanwhile, Duchess Fergie could be getting her revenge come October. In February, her daughter Princess Eugenie announced that she would be getting married to longtime boyfriend Jack Brooksbank on October 12, 2018, at St. George's Chapel at Windsor Castle—the exact same location as Prince Harry and Meghan Markle. As the mother of the bride, she'll probably have some input on the guest list, and this could be her chance to turn the tables.

Related Stories