It’s no surprise that Sarah Buscho, cofounder of the luxe organic skin-care brand Earth Tu Face, got married under a persimmon tree in northern California—in her father’s backyard!
Both the ceremony and reception, which took place over Memorial Day weekend, were entirely outside. “I grew up in my father’s organic garden; it’s where my love of plants was born,” Buscho says (which eventually lead to the creation of her skin-care line, made entirely of plants and herbs). “The wedding had a relaxed, bohemian feel. We were surrounded by rosebushes, olive trees, citrus, pomegranate trees, fig trees, beds of irises, calendula, sunflowers, and vegetables; it was completely inspired by nature.”
Th same goes for her pre-wedding beauty regimen: Buscho went the holistic, natural route to prepare for her wedding day.
Here’s how she did it.
1. I drink organic celery juice in the morning. It’s detoxifying, and it strengthens your entire digestive system. It gives me more energy too. [Ed. note: Just pile fresh celery in a juicer; you don’t need to add a thing!]
2. Before bed, I mix hazelnut milk and honey into a cup of Traditional Medicinals Organic Chamomile with Lavender. It makes me feel like I’m indulging while nourishing my nervous system. It helps me sleep deeper and longer—rest central. (Organic Chamomile with Lavender, $5.29, Traditional Medicinals)
3. At least once a week, I do an at-home facial, usually combined with a relaxing mineral bath. First, I make a liquid mask consisting of one part rosewater [Ed. note: It helps tone and tighten skin] and one part organic apple-cider vinegar, a natural exfoliator. Its main ingredient is acetic acid, but it also contains lactic, citric, and malic acids, all of which soften and remove dead skin cells. I apply it on my skin with a brush after an herbal steam and leave it on for one to three minutes.
4. After the liquid mask, I use Earth Tu Face Honey + Coconut Mask. It’s antioxidant-rich with honey, coconut, rose petals, and lavender buds, which heal inflammation, tighten pores, plump the skin, and give you an instant glow. (Honey + Coconut Mask, $52, Earth Tu Face)
5. Then, to me, bathing feels incomplete without adding minerals to the water. Magnesium, which most people need more of, is absorbed through the skin and helps us relax, sleep, and feel healthier. It’s actually easier for some people to get magnesium topically rather than orally. Ancient Minerals makes bath flakes that are full of magnesium and other trace minerals that I add to the bath with essential oils and dried garden rose petals. (Magnesium bath flakes, $9.75, Ancient Minerals; available on Amazon)
6. To be truly hydrated on the wedding day, you need to be consistent. I love our Jenni Kayne Rose and Geranium Body Lotion, which was inspired by Jenni’s own garden: natural and filled with plant extracts and healing organic essential oils. (Rose and geranium lotion, $65, Jenni Kayne x Earth Tu)
7. Speaking of hydration, getting enough essential fatty acids is super important to get your skin, nails, and hair looking their best. A bonus is that they’re anti-inflammatory and help boost moods. I take Ultimate Omega by Nordic Naturals, the lemon flavor. They have high levels of EPA/DHA, which is crucial to give you that healthy glow from the inside. ("Ultimate Omega" omega-3 vitamins, $59.44, Nordic Naturals; available on Amazon)
8. I recently added mermaid peach, pink, and purple streaks into my hair, and I wanted to keep it for the wedding! To maintain its health, I’ve been masking as much as I can with Rahua’s Color Full Hair Mask, which adds gloss and hydration and also keeps these wash-away colors staying put longer. ("Color Full" hair mask, $62, Rahua)
9. I discovered Glo Minerals during a makeup trial, and I love their lip colors. They’re cruelty free, they go on smoothly, and they last a long time. Demure and Sorbet are my favorite shades. (Suede matte crayon, $18, Glo Minerals)
10. Tenoverten is free of eight harsh chemicals typically found in nail polish, so I’ve been playing with its pastel collections. Shades 045 Madison and 027 Essex tug on my heartstrings. Love! ("Madison" nail polish, $18, Tenoverten)