As exhilarating as it is to be newly engaged, it can be all too easy to get swept up in the wedding planning process and lose sight of what all those endless checklists are actually about: celebrating the love between you and your spouse-to-be. Take a break from arranging (and rearranging) the seating chart and reset your focus with these 23 incredibly romantic quotes.
Not only are these sayings—some about love, some about marriage—guaranteed to remind you of what's really important, they might also inspire your upcoming vows and possibly even your wedding décor. Whether you work any of them into your ceremony or simply let them inspire you to power on full steam ahead with wedding planning, these quotes from famous authors, poets, philosophers—and, yes, even Chandler from Friends—will surely have you swooning.
1. "I love you not only for what you are, but for what I am when I am with you. I love you not only for what you have made of yourself, but for what you are making of me." —Roy Croft
2. "To be fully seen by somebody, then, and be loved anyhow—this is a human offering that can border on miraculous." —Elizabeth Gilbert
3. "You know you're in love when you don't want to fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams." —Dr. Seuss
4. "A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person." —Mignon McLaughlin
5. "Love is like a friendship caught on fire." —Jeremy Taylor
6. "In all the world, there is no heart for me like yours. In all the world, there is no love for you like mine."—Maya Angelou
7. "What greater thing is there for two human souls, than to feel that they are joined for life—to strengthen each other in all labor, to rest on each other in all sorrow, to minister to each other in silent unspeakable memories at the moment of the last parting?"—George Eliot
8. "If you live to be 100, I hope I live to be 100 minus one day, so I never have to live without you."—Ernest H. Shepard
9. "You have made a place in my heart where I thought there was no room for anything else. You have made flowers grow where I cultivated dust and stones."—Robert Jordan
10. "Sexiness wears thin after a while and beauty fades, but to be married to a man who makes you laugh every day, ah, now that's a real treat."—Joanne Woodward
11. "There is no more lovely, friendly, and charming relationship, communion or company than a good marriage."—Martin Luther
12. "To find someone who will love you for no reason, and to shower that person with reasons, that is the ultimate happiness."—Robert Brault
13. "You make me happier than I ever thought I could be and if you let me, I will spend the rest of my life trying to make you feel the same way."—Chandler, proposing to Monica on "Friends"
14. "He felt now that he was not simply close to her, but that he did not know where he ended and she began."—Leo Tolstoy
15. "Love seems the swiftest but it is the slowest of all growths. No man or woman really knows what perfect love is until they have been married a quarter of a century."—Mark Twain
16. "Love takes off masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within."—James Baldwin
17. "Marriage flourishes when the couple works together as a team: when both husband and wife decide that winning together is more important than keeping score. Good marriages don't just happen. They are a product of hard work."—Michelle Obama
18. "I carry your heart with me (I carry it in my heart). I am never without it (anywhere I go you go, my dear; and whatever is done by only me is your doing, my darling)."—E. E. Cummings
19. "Love is the thing that is always having the last word—even when those words are 'I'm sorry,' or 'Forgive me,' or 'I love you no matter what.' "—Cleo Wade
20. "You pierce my soul. I am half agony, half hope...I have loved none but you."—Jane Austen, "Persuasion"
21. "If I had a flower for every time I thought of you...I could walk through my garden forever."—Alfred, Lord Tennyson
22. "I love you without knowing how, or when, or from where. I love you directly, without problems or pride: I love you like this because I don't know any other way to love, except in this form in which I am not nor are you, so close that your hand upon my chest is mine, so close that your eyes close with my dreams."—Pablo Neruda
23. "One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life: That word is love."—Sophocles
Additional reporting by Jillian Kramer.