The key to finding wedding vendors you love? Interviewing them before you sign the contract. This is especially true with a photographer. You’ll be spending almost the entire day with the photographer you choose, so in addition to loving their style, having an in-person or phone interview is a great way to make sure you’ll be happy to have them around.
Not sure where to start when it comes to interviewing your wedding photographer of choice? We've rounded up a list of questions to ask your photographer that will help you narrow down your options when it comes to everything you need to know.
- Is my wedding date available?
- Will you be the one shooting my wedding? If not, can I meet the photographer who will be on-site?
- How many other weddings will you photograph that weekend?
- Will you have any assistants with you on our wedding day?
Some photographers always work with an assistant, while others determine if they need one based on the size of your event. If they do not always work with an assistant, adding an assistant or second photographer to your contract will most likely incur an additional fee.
- How long have you been shooting weddings? How many weddings have you photographed?
- Do you often shoot weddings that have a similar size and style to the one we are planning?
- Can we see the full galleries of a few of your recent weddings?
- Have you ever shot a wedding at our ceremony and reception venues? If not, do you plan to check the venues out in advance?
- Have you ever worked with our planner? Videographer? Florist? DJ?
- How would you describe your photography style? What would you compare your work to?
- How would you describe your working style? Do you prefer to blend into the background to capture candid moments, or do you like to be more visible and take charge to choreograph images?
- Do you shoot digitally? With film? Or both?
Pricing and Packages
- What is included in your standard package? What add-ons do the more expensive packages include?
- Can I customize a package to fit my needs?
- Do you include engagement photos in your packages? What about pre-wedding events like rehearsal dinners?
- How many hours are included in each package? How much do extra hours cost?
- Do you offer a photo booth?
- Do you offer retouching, color adjustment, or other corrective services? Are those included or an additional charge?
- Do you charge a travel fee? For what distance? What does that cover?
Most photographers have a radius outside of which they charge a travel fee. Over a certain distance, you may be required to pay for your photographer’s lodging, as well.
Prints and Albums
- Can we order prints or albums directly from you?
- What type of album do you offer? Do you provide assistance selecting images and designing the album?
- Are albums or prints included in your packages? How many pages or prints are included, and what is the turnaround time?
- How long after the wedding will we receive the images? How will they be delivered?
- Will we have the rights to the images?
- Will we receive the negatives and/or high resolution digital images? Is there a fee for that?
- Will the images be accessible online? For how long?
- When will we receive the contract?
- How much of a deposit do you require? When is it due?
- Do you accept payments in installations?
- What is your refund or cancellation policy?
- Do you have liability insurance? Does it cover your assistants, as well?
- Do you carry backup equipment?
- What is the backup plan if you are unable to shoot my wedding for an unexpected reason?
- How will you and your assistants be dressed?
- Can we request a list of specific shots we would like?
- Will you be posting about our wedding on your website and social media? Will you be submitting our photos to magazines or blogs?