When it comes to choosing your wedding cake, the options are truly endless. Buttercream, ganache, or fondant? Sugar flowers or fresh blooms? Intricate piping or a rustic semi-naked style? And we haven’t even gotten to the shape or flavors yet! All those choices are exciting (and delicious!), but none are more important than choosing your cake baker.
Some bakers will do a consultation that includes a tasting of a number of flavors, plus a discussion of your cake design, while others will simply provide you with the flavors for you to taste on your own, then discuss design after you’ve signed the contract. Many bakers do charge a fee for a cake tasting, but will then apply that amount toward the final cost of your cake if you sign a contract.
To make sure your first sweet bite as newlyweds is everything you’ve imagined, we’ve rounded up the important questions you can’t forget to ask your cake baker before the wedding. Bon appetit!
- How long have you been in business?
- What is your culinary background?
- How many wedding cakes do you make a year?
Before You Sign
- Are you licensed and insured?
- How many cakes do you deliver on the same day?
- How soon before the wedding will my cake be baked?
While this might seem like a strange question, most venues require proof of insurance from any vendor working on the property (including delivering cakes!), so make sure your baker is covered.
- What flavors and fillings do you offer?
- Do you have a set menu of flavor combinations, or can we mix-and-match cakes and fillings?
- What flavors are your specialties?
- What kinds of ingredients do you use? Do you offer organic, vegan, or gluten-free options?
- Is a tasting included in our fee? If not, how much will it cost?
- Will you do a tasting consultation, or will we simply be tasting the cake on our own?
- Do you have a portfolio of past designs we can look at?
- Did you make all of the cakes in your portfolio?
- Do we need to choose from a set selection of designs, or do you create completely custom cakes?
- We have a few inspirational ideas. Can you recreate them?
- We have no idea what we’d like! Can you offer some design suggestions based on our budget and theme?
- Are your cakes finished in buttercream or with fondant?
- Can you make sugar flowers?
- We’d like to use fresh flowers on our cake. Can you work with our florist to do so?
- What size and shape should the tiers be to feed our guest list? How big should our cake be?
- How will the cake be displayed? Do you provide or rent cake stands?
Connect your baker and your florist to ensure the blooms you want on the cake are included in your wedding order. Your cake will be delivered without decorations, then your baker will apply the fresh blooms on-site.
- How do you price your cakes?
- Do you have a minimum cost?
- Are there additional rental fees we should be aware of, such as for cakes stands, toppers, or cake knives?
- Is there a delivery fee?
- How much is the deposit? When is it due?
- When is final payment due?
- What is your refund policy if we need to cancel our order?
- When should we expect to receive a contract?
- Can we freeze the top tier? Will you provide a box so we can save it?
- If we are renting items from you (like a cake stand or topper), how and when should they be returned?
- How far in advance do we need to order our cake?
- When does our order need to be finalized?
- What delivery services do you offer?
- How do you deliver the cake? What do you do if it is damaged in transit?
Find out when and how your baker will deliver your cake, and make sure the cake table is set up before he or she arrives. Let your baker know if you plan to save the top tier of your cake so he or she can give you a box—and don’t forget to tell your caterer not to slice it!