After this morning's reports stating that Meghan Markle's dad, Thomas Markle, wanted to still go to the royal wedding just one day after refusing to attend, Markle has dropped out of his daughter's nuptials for the second time in two days. Now, TMZ is stating that the father-of-the-bride definitely won't be able to attend the wedding, due to being scheduled for open-heart surgery.
Markle has reportedly contacted TMZ yet again to say that he is slated to go into surgery at 7:30 AM Wednesday, rendering him unable to accompany the royal bride-to-be down the aisle. "They [doctors] will go in and clear blockage, repair damage and put a stent where it is needed," he told the gossip outlet. Markle suffered a heart attack a week ago and has since suffered chest pains—aliments that he supposedly blames on his son Thomas Jr.'s public criticisms of Meghan.
Before getting the news of his surgery, Markle told TMZ earlier today that he did in fact wish to participate in the wedding, after previously dropping out due to embarrassment over being paid for posed paparazzi photos. "I hate the idea of missing one of the greatest moments in history and walking my daughter down the aisle," he said, adding, "Of course I'd walk her down the aisle. This is a historic moment. I'd like to be a part of history."
Markle told the outlet that his daughter tried calling him on Monday when he was away from his phone, and that she later sent a text saying she loved him, was concerned for his health, and has no hard feelings about the whole paparazzi photo-staging situation. As for what the Queen of England thinks about all this, Markle Sr. had this to say: "I don't think the Queen is thinking about what I'm doing." He also said that his decision to pay for paparazzi photos of himself getting ready for the royal wedding had been "stupid" but not a big deal.
Previously, Markle's headline-making paparazzi debacle had gotten so big that Kensington Palace felt the need to release a statement. “This is a deeply personal moment for Ms. Markle in the days before her wedding,” a Kensington Palace spokesman said. “She and Prince Harry ask again for understanding and respect to be extended to Mr. Markle in this difficult situation.”