BRIDES Houston: How to Get Your Marriage License

Updated 07/11/15

Harrison Studio

Before you can go to the chapel (or anywhere else) and get married, there are just a few formalities to handle ahead of the big day. While there's no blood test required in Texas anymore, every couple needs a license to tie the knot. Follow these four steps to make it official.

1. What to do first

Plan a trip to the Harris County Clerk's office — together — to apply foryour marriage license no more than 90 days and no fewer than three days before your wedding. (The license must be purchased at least 72 hours prior to, but no more than 90 days before the date of the ceremony. The 72-hour wait is automatically waived for military personnel, but military ID is required.) Both bride- and groom-to-be must be present.

2. Where to go

Monday through Friday from 8 AM to 4:30 PM, but not on holidays or weekends, you can go to these offices:

The Main Office

201 Caroline, 3rd Floor of Administration Building, Houston, TX


Branch Offices

701 W. Baker Road, Baytown, 281.422.0253

6000 Chimney Rock, Houston, 713.660.7902

16715 Clay Road, Houston, 281.859.0685

16603 Buccaneer, Clear Lake, 281.486.7250

6831 Cypresswood Dr., Spring, 281.379-1057

7900 Will Clayton Parkway, Humble, 281.540.1173

7300 North Shepherd, Houston, 713.697.5193

101 S. Richey, Suite D, Pasadena, 713.274.6230

10851 Scarsdale, Houston, 281.464.0115

3. What to bring

• One valid ID for both of you, which means a drivers license, DPS-issued ID card, valid passport, resident alien card, or other government-issued identification.

• Know your Social Security number for forms.

• $72 processing fee (we recommend bringing it in cash)

4. What to do next

Keep planning! Your marriage license expires after 90 days (immediately following the date it was issued) if you haven't tied the knot within that period.

5. Things to remember

• No witnesses needed to obtain a marriage license.

• No blood test is required in Texas anymore.

• Parental consent required if not 18

• Who can marry you: Licensed or ordained Christian ministers, and priests; Jewish rabbis; persons who are officers of religious organizations and who are duly authorized by the organization to conduct marriage ceremonies; justices of the supreme court, judges of the court of criminal appeals, justices of the court of appeals, judges of the district, county, and probate courts, judges of the county court at law, courts of domestic relations and juvenile courts, retired justices and judges of such courts, justices of the peace, retired justices of the peace, judges of a municipal court, retired judge of a municipal court or judge or magistrate of the federal court of this state; and a retired judge or magistrate of a federal court of this state.

Need more Houston wedding planing help? Browse our Houston Wedding Vendors page to find your dream dress, perfect venue and other important details!

Related Stories