When you close your eyes and imagine a a bride walking down the aisle, what do you hear? Most likely, it's strains of Mendelssohn's "The Wedding March" or Pachelbel's "Canon in D." Classical wedding music provides an elegance unlike any other, and it's no wonder so many brides choose classic wedding processional songs. "The Wedding March" and "Canon in D" are just the tip of the iceberg, however. There are plenty more lovely options, all of which provide a lovely backdrop for the wedding processional.
Read on to discover our favorite classical songs for weddings.
Best Classical Music for Weddings
1. "Canon in D, P.37," by Johann Pachelbel, Edward Brewer and the Orpheus Chamber Orchestra
2. "A Midsummer Night's Dream, Op. 61: IX. Wedding March," by Felix Mendelssohn, London Symphony Orchestra and Peter Maag
3. "Wedding March," by Andrew Grossman, Lana Ross and Anna Moor
4. "Suite Bergamasque: III. Clair de Lune (arr. A. Reed): Clair de Lune," by Claude Debussy, Alfred Reed, Slovak Radio Symphony Orchestra and Keith Clark
5. "Bridal Chorus" "Treulich Geführt", Dgg , Lohengrin, Act 3," by Andrew Grossman, Anna Moor and Lana Ross
6. "Ave Maria," by Johann Sebastian Bach, Charles Gounod, Nora Shulman and Judy Loman
7. "Water Music Suite: Air," by George Frideric Handel, London Symphony Orchestra and George Szell
8. "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring, BWV 147," by Andrew Grossman, Anna Moor and Lana Ross
9. "Lakmé: El Dúo de la Flor," by Mado Robin, Libero De Luca, Agnes Disney, Jean Borthayre, Claudine Collart, Simeon LeMaitre and Léo Delibes
10. "Concerto No. 1 in E major, Op. 8, RV 269, "La Primavera" (Spring): I. Allegro," by Antonio Vivaldi, Alberto Lizzio and Musici di San Marco
11. "Lohengrin, WWV 75, Act 2: "Gesegnet soll sie schreiten" (Attacca)," by Leonore Kirschstein, Heinz Imdahl, Hans Helm, Walter Kreppel, Herbert Schachtschneider and Ruth Hesse
12. "Trumpet Voluntary," by Elixer
13. "Ode To Joy," by The O'Neill Brothers
14. "Serenade,"Eine kleine Nachtmusik, K 525: II. Romanza - Andante," by the Latvian Philharmonic Chamber Orchestra
15. "The 4 Seasons: Violin Concerto in F minor, Op. 8, No. 4, RV 297, "L'inverno" (Winter): II. Largo," by Karoly Botvay
16. "Salut d'Amour," by the Mostar Symphony Orchestra
17. "Cantata, BWV 202, 'Wedding Cantata': Weichet nur, betrübte Schatten," by Musica Antiqua New York
18. "The Carnival of the Animals: XIV. The Swan," by Bernhard Jarvis
19. "The Blue Danube, Op. 314," by the Metropolitan Philharmonic Orchestra
20. "The Marriage of Figaro, K. 492: Act I. - Overture," by the Metropolitan Philharmonic Orchestra
21. “Arioso,” by Johann Sebastian Bach
22. “Fur Elise,” by Ludwig Van Beethoven
23. "Solomon, HWV 67: The Arrival of the Queen of Sheba," by Georg Friedrich Handel
24. "Gymnopédie No.1," by Erik Satie
25. "Music for the Royal Fireworks, HWV 351," by Georg Friedrich Handel
Spotify Classical Wedding Music Playlist
Though we're all about updating and personalizing every part of a ceremony and reception to your liking, there's something about classical wedding music that strike up the most sentimental feelings. Naturally, we curated a Spotify playlist of our favorite classical music songs for the purist in all brides!
Most brides assume they should include at least one classical song in their wedding playlist, but after listening to these, we have a feeling that more than one will make the cut! Sit back, relax, and enjoy these songs that couples have gotten married to for decades.