As the year comes to a close, we're taking a look back to the absolute best love songs of 2017— from country to pop to R&B, the songs on this list will make you long for your love even if they're in the next room. Big names like Ed Sheeran, Miley Cyrus, and Kendrick Lamar were clearly feeling the love this year, singing about the perfect girl and blue Malibu skies, and "sippin' bubbly, feelin' lovely."
Even though only nine of the selections on our Best Love Songs of 2017 playlist contain the word 'love' in their titles, there's no shortage of lovey-dovey lyrics here. And our favorite collaborations gave us some (expert?) insight on how to make a relationship last. Alessia Cara and Zedd swear that "all you have to do is stay" to make love work. Daniel Caesar and H.E.R. beg their loves "if you love me won't you say something." And Zayn got Sia to back him up on the fact that it's all about getting someone to be there for you from "dusk till dawn."
As with most art, some of the year's top love songs illustrated reality. The members of Fifth Harmony are looking for someone to hold them down like their collaborator Gucci Mane's new wife, Keyshia Ka'oir. Their love story is one for the books. Drake, unsurprisingly, turned Teenage Fever into a tribute to now ex-fling Jennifer Lopez by sampling one of her throwback tracks for a hook.
Jay-Z upstaged everyone with title track "4:44," which he wrote one morning at that precise time, after years-long speculation about a cheating scandal. There, around the time that he and Beyoncé's twins were born, it became clear to Jay-Z that he hadn't built his marriage on "100 percent truth"—and so became his surprisingly humble, brutally honest, strikingly compassionate masterpiece. He left it all on the recording studio floor—and now he's got eight Grammy nominations to prove it.
But let's be honest, you're here to find out which love songs your guests absolutely need to hear on the dance floor when they celebrate your upcoming nuptials. The easy answer is the whole playlist. But if you only plan to sprinkle a few of this year's best love songs into the mix (there are lots of throwbacks to play throughout the night), we do have some suggestions.
See also: 47 Best Wedding Songs of 2017
For a brand spanking new first dance song (there's no rule saying we all have to start our marriages swaying to a classic!) R&B lovers will enjoy "Mood" by dvsn, and fans of country crooner Brad Paisley might like the tear-inducing lyrics of "Today." Have the DJ play Demi Lovato's "Tell Me You Love Me" or Khalid's "Location" during dinner time—they practically require listeners to bob their head or tap their feet. Dua Lipa's "Lost in Your Light" duet with Miguel and Dean's yearning "Love" featuring Syd should (literally) get the party jumping.
But don't just take our word for it. Check out our full playlist (in no particular order) and stream it on Spotify now.
39 Best Love Songs of 2017
- "Best Part" by Daniel Caesar feat. H.E.R.
- "Mood" by dvsn
- "Perfect" by Ed Sheeran
- "Love" by Kendrick Lamar
- "Love Will Save the Day" by Sheryl Crow
- "Today" by Brad Paisley
- "My Love" by Wale feat. Major Lazer, WizKid & Dua Lipa
- "Garden (Say It Like Dat)" by Sza
- "Loved by You" by Mali Music feat. Jazmine Sullivan
- "Us 4ever" by Ledisi feat. BJ the Chicago Kid
- "SUGAR" by Sir
- "Lost in Your Light" Dua Lipa feat. Lupe Fiasco
- "Sucker for You" by Matt Terry
- "Dusk Till Dawn" by Zayn feat. Sia
- "Stay" by Zedd & Alessia Cara
- "Body Like a Back Road" by Sam Hunt
- "Malibu" by Miley Cyrus
- "Now or Never" by Halsey
- "While We're Young" by Jhene Aiko
- "Tell Me You Love Me" by Demi Lovato
- "Sweetest Life" by Kwaye
- "One More Try" by Bell Biv Devoe
- "Love" by Dean feat. Syd
- "Location" by Khalid
- "Love on the Weekend" by John Mayer
- "All I Can Think About Is You" by Coldplay
- "Aaliyah" by Tory Lanez
- "The Louvre" by Lorde
- "Teenage Fever" by Drake feat. Jennifer Lopez
- "Down" by Fifth Harmony feat. Gucci Mane
- "Love Can Be" by Vince Staples feat. Ray J, Kilo Kish & Damon Albarn
- "All These Kisses" by Tammy Rivera
- "My Forever" by Tamar Braxton
- "My Love for You" by Sevyn Streeter
- "Same Time Pt. 1" by TWENTY88
- "Meant to Be" by Bebe Rexha feat. Florida Georgia Line
- "Right Girl, Wrong Time" by Jon Langston
- "ucked Up" by Lecrae
- "4:44" by Jay-Z