For those who grew up reading The Princess Bride or couldn’t get enough of it after its film adaptation came out in 1897, there’s no love story quite like that of Princess Buttercup and the charming Westley. And for those planning their wedding ceremony, you can easily take notes from this classic tale of true love against the odds.
Like many great love stories, The Princess Bride, written by William Goldman, starts out with a dazzling heroine, Buttercup, and the man she originally takes for granted, Westley (or in this case, her “farm boy”). Eventually, the pair falls hopelessly in love and of course, drama ensues when Westley leaves to earn extra money so that they can get married and Buttercup believes that he was killed while away. From there, more drama and romance follows as the dedicated couple refuses to let anything break their unwavering love and continues fighting against the odds to still be together.
Not only does a nod to The Princess Bride bring a nostalgic touch to your wedding ceremony or vows, but also it adds a timeless feel of hopeless romance and passion. Although when some think of The Princess Bride quotes, the first that may come to mind is “Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die,” there are many other lines more worthy of your nuptials than Montoya’s iconic greeting.
Whether you’re looking for a sentimental declaration to add to your vows or a punch of humor to incorporate into the ceremony, we’ve rounded up the most romantic from The Princess Bride to use in your wedding.
Check out 16 of the best wedding-worthy lines from The Princess Bride.
- “As you wish.” — Westley
- “This is true love. You think this happens every day?” — Westley
- “Hear this now: I will always come for you.” — Westley
- "Death cannot stop true love. All it can do is delay it for a while." — Westley
- “[We] are joined by the bonds of love. And you cannot track that, not with a thousand bloodhounds, and you cannot break it, not with a thousand swords.” — Buttercup
- “Since the invention of the kiss there have been five kisses that were rated the most passionate, the most pure. This one left them all behind.” — Grandpa
- “True love is the greatest thing in the world, except for a nice MLT, mutton, lettuce and tomato sandwich when the mutton is nice and lean, and the tomato is ripe.” — Miracle Max
- “I just want you to feel you’re doing well.” — Fezzik
- “I love Westley. I always have. I know now, I always will.” — Buttercup
- “You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.” — Miracle Max
- “I will never doubt again.” — Buttercup; “There will never be a need.” — Westley
- “That day, she was amazed to discover that when he was saying ‘As you wish,’ what he meant was, ‘I love you.’ And then even more amazing was the day she realized she truly loved him back.” — Grandpa
- “Mawage. Mawage is wot bwings us together today. Mawage, that blessed awangement, that dweam wifin a dweam. And wuv, tru wuv, will fowow you foweva. So tweasure your wuv.” — The Clergyman
- “It was 10 days to the wedding. The King still lived, but Buttercup’s nightmares were growing steadily worse.” — Grandpa
- “And love, true love, will follow you forever.” — The Clergyman
- “I told you I would always come for you.” — Westley