Have you heard of the Newlywed Game? This wildly popular activity is the perfect way to spice up any wedding-related event. The game is most commonly played at the bridal shower, but you can play it at the couple’s engagement party, at the bride’s bachelorette party, or even at the wedding reception.
What Is the Newlywed Game?
The Newlywed Game is a fun party game that's all about quizzing the couple. From their favorite food and drink to their real first impressions of each other, it delves into a variety of topics.
If you’re thinking about playing it with the newlyweds, speak to them in advance. You should be 100% certain that they are happy to play the game at the given event.
How to Play the Newlywed Game
There are a couple of ways to play the Newlywed Game. For instance, you may choose to ask the couple questions and have them come up with answers on the fly. However, this approach can be tricky and slow, since the couple will need time to think. With that in mind, here’s a breakdown of how you can play the Newlywed Game:
Step 1: Prep Ahead of Time
Send the couple your list of questions to answer about one another. Ask them to email you their answers separately without discussing them at all! You can keep hold of the answers until the big event when all is revealed.
Step 2: Run Through Basics
When it comes to playing the game, you need to select someone to be the host. Start by introducing the game and explaining how it works. To kick-off, read each question from your list and have the couple guess what their partner has said. For example, for the question “Describe what you first thought of them in one word,” they should each guess what their spouse said about them. Next, the fun begins! You compare what the couple said about each other to their guesses.
Step 3: Keep the Score
Keeping score is relatively simple. For every answer each member of the couple gets right, they get one point. You will need to write them down as you go. Whoever has the most points at the end of the questions, knows their partner the best and wins the game!
65 Newlywed Game Questions
Ready to give it a whirl? If you’re scratching your head wondering what questions to ask, we’ve got you covered. Here are 65 Newlywed Game questions:
- How did you first meet your spouse?
- What did they wear on your first date?
- Where did you go on your first date?
- Describe what you first thought of them in one word.
- When did you know that they were ‘the one’?
- Who said “I love you” first?
- When and where was your first kiss?
- Who is a better kisser?
- Who is the tidiest?
- Who is the funniest?
- Who is their celebrity crush?
- Which one of you is a better driver?
- Who does the most cooking?
- Who is the best cook?
- Who does the most cleaning?
- What’s your spouse’s favorite TV show?
- What’s their favorite movie?
- What would your spouse’s ideal date be?
- What is their pet name for you?
- What was the first movie you saw together?
- What’s their favorite band and/or artist?
- Do you have a song and, if so, what is it?
- Which celebrity couple are you most like?
- What is their silliest fear?
- What is your spouse’s favorite junk food?
- What is their favorite ice cream flavor?
- What is their favorite candy bar?
- Name the best gift they ever gave you.
- If your spouse was a Disney character, who would they be?
- What is their star sign?
- How does your spouse like their steak cooked?
- How many cousins do they have?
- How often do you go on dates together?
- What was your spouse’s first pet called?
- If you won the lottery, what’s the first thing you’d buy together?
- Name your spouse’s favorite restaurant.
- If your spouse had a superpower, what would it be?
- What would they say your best feature is?
- What is your spouse’s best feature?
- What is your spouse’s dream job?
- Who has the worst handwriting?
- Which one of you would win at Trivial Pursuit?
- How does your partner like their eggs in the morning?
- Who is more adventurous?
- Who is more honest?
- Which of you finishes your meals first?
- Who would win in an eating contest?
- What color are your spouse’s eyes?
- What was their first job?
- Who is the better listener?
- Who is more emotional?
- What is your spouse’s favorite color?
- What was the last date you went on?
- If your spouse needed a lift at 3 AM, who would they call?
- What high school did your spouse go to?
- Who would play your spouse in a movie?
- What is your spouse’s favorite book?
- If your spouse were an animal, which would they be?
- What’s your spouse’s best personality trait?
- How many kids does your spouse want?
- What’s your spouse’s worst habit?
- What’s their hidden talent?
- How does your partner take their tea or coffee?
- What is your spouse’s ideal vacation?
- If money were no object, where would you live together?
How many questions should there be?
That depends on the amount of time you're willing to dedicate to playing the game. We suggest 15-20 questions for a fast-paced game that won't completely overtake the event.
How can I format my own questions?
Start with who, what, where, and when style questions to keep things simple and avoid confusion. Throw in a few "Who is more (likely)..." questions for a bit of competitive fun.
Can others play the game?
Of course! The game can be modified to fit whoever is attending the event. We especially love it for a bachelorette party to see how well a bride-to-be knows her squad.