Achieving the perfect couple photo is not easy. You have to consider lighting, background, and of course, the matter of both you and your partner liking how you look in the photo. But, after you’ve agreed on a photo comes the next tough decision: choosing an Instagram caption for couples that is the perfect balance of thoughtful and fun—without being cheesy. And hey, some people are into cheesy, punny captions, so you can’t totally eliminate those options, either. As matchmaker Rori Sassoon says, Instagram captions can "make or break" a post.
Meet the Expert
Rori Sassoon is a matchmaker and relationship expert.
"Whether you want to be tasteful, sassy, or sentimental, the caption is crucial. For a romantic post, use a past memory as the basis. Think about writing a short love letter to your special someone. If you’re opting for your funnier, less serious side, employ an inside joke or pun. It’s okay to be tastefully cheesy," Sassoon suggests. "Let’s say pop culture is your thing. Maybe they’re the Carrie to your Big, or vice versa. Have you been through Titanic circumstances together? Perhaps I sense a Jack x Rose allusion in your future."
Sassoon also says that no matter what you post, it’s never a bad idea to run it by your partner before you go live, especially if they’re particular about social media PDA. Looking for some thought-starters when it comes to your next caption? Here are 50 ideas.
- "I love your eyes, your smile, and how good of a dog parent you are."
- "Home is wherever I’m with you."
- "Better together."
- "You stole my heart, but I’ll let you keep it."
- "Best thing that’s ever happened to me."
- "Loving you since [insert anniversary year here]."
- "Every day, I love you more."
- "Life isn’t perfect, but we are."
- "I’m the luckiest."
- "Together is my favorite place to be."
- "I love your eyes, your smile, and the way that you never remember to put the cap back on the tube of toothpaste."
- "You’re the peanut butter to my jelly" or "You’re the cheese to my macaroni."
- "I love you a latte."
- "I love you even when I’m hungry."
- "We both like taking long romantic walks... to the fridge."
- "I love you more than pizza."
- "We go together like hot sauce and everything."
- "For you, I’ll bring out the good Champagne."
- "Relationships are just two people constantly asking one another what they want to eat, until one of them dies."
- "It all started with Netflix and Chill."
- "Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage." — Lao-Tzu
- "That's how you know you love someone, I guess, when you can't experience anything without wishing the other person were there to see it, too." — The Descendents by Kaui Hart Hemmings
- "We were together even when we were apart." — Death Before Daylight by Shannon A. Thompson
- "It's enough for me to be sure that you and I exist at this moment." — One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Márquez
- "I love her and that's the beginning and end of everything." — The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
- "If I had a flower for every time I thought of you...I could walk through my garden forever." — Alfred Tennyson
- "I am who I am because of you. You are every reason, every hope, and every dream I’ve ever had." — The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks
- "The best thing to hold onto in life is each other." — Audrey Hepburn
- "I’ve tried so many times to think of a new way to say it, and it’s still I love you." — Zelda Fitzgerald
- "He’s more myself than I am. Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same." — Emily Brontë
Pop Culture References
- "You meet thousands of people and none of them really touch you. And then you meet one person and your life is changed forever." — Love & Other Drugs
- "Do you ever put your arms out and just spin and spin and spin? Well, that's what love is like. Everything inside of you tells you to stop before you fall, but you just keep going." — Practical Magic
- "Look, you want to know what marriage is really like? Fine. You wake up, she's there. You come back from work, she's there. You fall asleep, she's there. You eat dinner, she's there. You know? I mean, I know that sounds like a bad thing, but it's not." — Everybody Loves Raymond
- "But for now, let me say...without hope or agenda...to me, you are perfect. And my wasted heart will love you." — Love Actually
- "Yes, I'm drunk. And you're beautiful. And tomorrow morning, I'll be sober but you'll still be beautiful." — The Dreamers
- "I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible." — When Harry Met Sally
- "I think I’d miss you even if we never met." — The Wedding Date
- "Our love is like the wind. I can’t see it, but I can feel it." — A Walk to Remember
- "True love is putting someone else before yourself." — Frozen
- "I will never stop trying. Because when you find the one...you never give up." — Crazy, Stupid, Love
- "You’re the closest to heaven that I’ll ever be." — "Iris" by the Goo Goo Dolls
- "I love you more than I have ever found a way to say to you." — "The Luckiest" by Ben Folds
- "All that you are is all that I’ll ever need." — "Tenerife Sea" by Ed Sheeran
- "No amount of coffee, no amount of crying/No amount of whiskey, no amount of wine/No, no, no, no, no, nothing else will do/I've gotta have you, I've gotta have you." — "Gotta Have You" by The Weepies
- "If I never get to see the Northern lights/Or if I never get to see the Eiffel Tower at night/Oh if all I got is your hand in my hand/Baby I could die a happy man yeah." — "Die A Happy Man" by Thomas Rhett
- "You’re my end and my beginning even when I lose, I’m winning." — "All of Me" by John Legend
- "Come with me my love to the sea of love." — "Sea of Love" by Cat Power
- "Can we always be this close forever and ever?" — "Love" by Taylor Swift
- "Even though I don’t tell you all the time you had my heart a long long time ago/In case you didn’t know, you’ve got all of me." — "In Case You Didn’t Know" by Brett Young
- "You know I'd never ask you to change/If perfect's what you're searching for then just stay the same." — "Just The Way You Are" by Bruno Mars