Our editors independently research, test, and recommend the best products; you can learn more about our review process here. We may receive commissions on purchases made from our chosen links.
Wedding dresses with feathers are perfect for brides who’ve dreamed of a fanciful gown on their big day. And lately, bridal designers are delivering in spades, from Monique Lhuillier’s A-line gown with hot-pink plumes to Oscar de la Renta’s strapless silk organza dress with a full-feathered skirt (which features 81 yards of ostrich feather trim!). But not all feathered wedding dresses have to be over the top or bold. Many iterations come with delicate feathered details, incorporated as playful accents to minimal and classic designs.
“One of my favorite details right now would have to be the feather accent,” says Pia Panaligan, director of styling and visual design at David’s Bridal. “It’s very sleek and modern, especially as a trim around the neckline or hem!” The bridal expert also suggests feathers for a party dress, be it a second look at the reception or an after-party. “It gives off a fun, flirty look,” she says.
While a wedding dress with feathers can work in any year or season, BHLDN's senior brand stylist, Lindsey Love, says they’re an excellent option for 2021 brides whose weddings were postponed or those who are having a bigger celebration after intimate nuptials. “In 2021, anything goes,” she tells Brides. “The 2021 bride is excited to celebrate, and she’s letting her personality shine.” Adding, “These optimistic touches bring a sense of whimsy and fun—and who couldn’t use more of that!?”
Meet the Expert
- Pia Panaligan is the director of styling and visual design at David’s Bridal and is based in Philadelphia, PA. With a thorough knowledge of bridal fashion, current trends, and an acute eye for fit and detail, she articulates the brand's voice each season by styling their digital and print fashion editorials and brand visuals.
- Lindsey Love is a senior brand stylist at BHLDN. With a deep understanding of the BHLDN bride and product, she styles brides head to toe and provides thoughtful insight to internal teams, in order to ensure the customer’s voice is heard. Her favorite perk of the job: trying on every single gown!
No matter your style, be it feminine, boho, glamorous, or refined, there’s undoubtedly a feathered wedding dress for you. Ahead, discover 30 dresses we love for every budget.
Best Beaded & Feathered: Valentine Avoh Bridal Ginger Dress
This strapless dress by Valentine Avoh is the ultimate party look, featuring beautiful beadwork and embroidered ostrich feathers throughout the skirt. If you’re all about a festive design (or getting married around the holidays), it’s gorgeous for that type of ceremony, too!
Most Embellished: Justin Alexander Signature Lenox Off The Shoulder Beaded Gown With Marabou Feathers
Lean into a glamorous vibe on your wedding day in this fully beaded gown, with maribou feather sleeves. The detachable straps offer you the option to start sans feathers, then add them on once the celebration kicks into gear at the reception.
Considering a wedding dress with feathers? We’ve answered three common questions when shopping for this wedding dress style.
- Should I buy a wedding dress with feathers? Yes! Wedding dresses with feathers and fun and festive! They come in many different styles for all bridal tastes, from delicate detailing to bold, fully-feathered designs.
- Where and when can you wear a wedding dress with feathers? You can wear a wedding dress with feathers to any wedding year-round. We love them best for formal venues and whimsical themes.
- How do you style a wedding dress with feathers? Wedding dresses with feathers are statement-making on their own, so keeping accessories to a minimum is best. A general rule of thumb: for more ultra-glamorous and dramatic designs, simple shoes, veils, and minimal pieces of jewelry are ideal. If you choose a simpler feather wedding dress, you can consider a detailed veil, statement shoes, or bolder jewelry.