Five ways to honor a Polish heritage
- Pass your shoe. Whoever wants to dance with you has to ante up some cash before taking a spin.
- Share a goblet of wine and a piece of bread sprinkled with salt as your first meal. Bread symbolizes a full pantry, salt represents difficult times ahead, wine symbolizes an abundance of good friends.
- Kiss the groom as a way of "sweetening" the atmosphere when guests shout "gorzko" ("bitter") at the reception.
- Toss your veil to the single women. Superstition holds that whoever catches it will be next to marry.
- Throw a casual poprawiny ("let's do it again") brunch the next day.