The Name-Change Game

Here are the rules for getting your postmarital moniker set

When you were in junior high, did you ever try signing your first name with the last name of that guy you had a crush on? In real life, taking on a new married name isn't quite so simple. It takes organization, determination, and plenty of patience.

"It's not as clear-cut as you might think," says Chicago lawyer Sandra Murphy, a former president of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers who has been practicing for more than 25 years. "Every place has different requirements of how to change. There's no formal time limit—although if you've been married ten years and then suddenly decide to change your name, people might find it a little weird."

The magic document that allows you to change your name is a completed, certified marriage license—something that's only available after the ceremony, so you can't start officially altering your moniker before the big day. Remember to make all your honeymoon reservations in your original name, since that name will be on your passport, driver's license, and credit cards.

You can start getting the word out ahead of time to friends and family (plenty of people will be asking you about it during bridal showers and at the reception). Let your office know, so you'll have new business cards and a new e-mail address when you get back from your honeymoon. You can also order cards engraved with your new married name to send out as thank-you notes—a great way to spread the news to everyone who was involved in the wedding.

The key to a successful, stress-free name change is to take it in steps—and in the right order:

Step 1: Lay Your Hands on That License.

After the wedding, your certified license will either be mailed to you or you'll have to pick it up at a government office (usually the same place you applied for the license). Ask your officiant how it works in your state, or check out's marriage site. Make a stack of photocopies, because you'll be asked to show this "proof of marriage" over and over.

Step 2: Settle Up with Social Security.

"Once you've got the Social Security card, everything flows from there," Murphy says. This part's easy: All you have to do is fill out a simple form, hand over your old card, and a new one will be mailed to you within two weeks. Download the form from Social Security's Web site,, or call 800-772-1213 to have one mailed to you.

Step 3: Tackle Money Matters

Now that Social Security knows about the all-new you, any money you earn should be in that new name. Meet with Human Resources at work to change the name on your paycheck, health insurance, office ID card, and 401k. Then go to your bank to start the name-change process there because the name on your paycheck should match the name on your bank account. Take out extra cash in advance, just in case of bureaucratic mix-ups.

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from