Confession: Carrie Bradshaw is my least favorite character on Sex and the City. Sure, she occasionally teaches us valuable lessons, but for the most part, her buddies Charlotte, Samantha and Miranda do the heavy lifting-so it pains me a teeny tiny bit to admit that, well, Carrie was actually right about a whole lot. Here are 13 wise Carrie quotes that actually spoke some truth.
1. “Maybe all men are a drug. Sometimes they bring you down, and sometimes, like now, they get you so high.”
Love is but a blinding force, and when we're in it, we're stuck riding the emotional wave all the way from cloud nine to misery town and back again.
2. "You can't stop being who you are because you're afraid, right?"
You are you for a reason, after all! Hiding it for the sake of a relationship just digs you into a deeper hole.
3. “Did I ever really love Big or was I addicted to the pain, the exquisite pain, of wanting someone so unattainable?”
Oh girl, I think we all know the answer to that.
4. "Maybe our mistakes are what make our fate."
If we didn't screw up, how would we ever learn anything? How would we ever veer off the path to experiences that are even more perfect for us?
5. "When men attempt bold gestures, generally it's considered romantic. When women do it, it's often considered desperate or psychotic."
Sigh, the world is an unfair place. Hello double standards!
6. "Occasionally a gal will find herself a little lost. And when that happens, I guess she has to let go of the coulda, shoulda, woulda, buckle up and just keep going.
Regrets solve nothing! All we can do is move forward.
7. "When it comes to relationships, maybe we're all in glass houses, and shouldn't throw stones. Because you can never really know."
The only people who truly know a relationship are the people who are in it, so the rest of us can just butt out, thank you very much-that means you too, Carrie.
8. “Sometimes you gotta quit thinking so much. If it feels right, it probably is. So just go with it.”
Love alone is not always enough, but there comes a point when no planning or second guessing in the world can tell you whether your relationship will make it. You've just gotta go for it!
9. "I used to think those people who sat alone at Starbucks writing on their laptops were pretentious posers. Now I know: They are people who have recently moved in with someone."
10. "Men who are too good looking are never good in bed because they never had to be."
11. “After a break-up, certain streets, locations, even times of day are off-limits. The city becomes a deserted battlefield, loaded with emotional landmines. You have to be very careful where you step or you could be blown to pieces."
SO MUCH YES. Baggage is the worst! One moment you're passing an old college haunt on your commute, and the next you're reliving a long lost love from three years ago. BLEAK.
12. "I think I'm in love with him and I'm terrified he's gonna leave me cause I'm not perfect."
We've all been there (more than once!) but hey, friendly reminder: the person you're into isn't perfect either! And that's a good thing! Promise.
13. “The most exciting, challenging, and significant relationship of all is the one you have with yourself."
YAS GIRL. Truer words were never spoken.
More from SELF:20 Questions Every Couple Should Know The Answers To