Last week we taught you how to achieve a romantic, half-up wedding day hairstyle right in your very own home. But since we know not all brides are interested in keeping their hair mostly down on their big day, we dreamed up another bridal 'do that you can recreate without ever stepping into a salon. An effortless side ponytail is a staple style that every woman should know — and it's easier than you think to perfect this laid-back look.
The trick to making this style work for your wedding day comes, in part, from the romantic curls. Paired with a polished front and relaxed back, an effortless ponytail looks formal and romantic in a way that will leave your guests thinking you wake up every morning looking this great. Plus, this versatile hairstyles work for just about any event — try it for your engagement photos, add a fun accessory for your bachelorette party, or dress it up with a lacey veil on your big day. The options are endless!
Follow our step-by-step instructions to master this effortless side ponytail and watch the look come to life in the video below!
1. Prep by applying dry shampoo or texturizing spray to dry hair. Create a side part and curl sections with a one-inch barrel curling iron.
2. Brush out the curls so they don't look too perfect.
3. Secure your hair into a low side ponytail with an elastic, leaving out face-framing sections.
4. Wrap a piece of hair from the bottom of your ponytail around the elastic and secure with bobby pins.
5. Softly brush out the face-framing section of your hair, extending it so that it touches the ponytail elastic. Secure it underneath the ponytail with bobby pins.
6. You're done!
To ensure it lasts from ceremony to reception, finish with a light, flexible-hold hairspray.
Video by Fantasma Films; Hair: David Cotteblanche for Red Market Salon; Makeup: Gina Monte for Red Market Salon