Like it or not, the relationship you have with your in-laws can be a big determining factor in the long-term success of your marriage, as conflict with his family can quickly drive a wedge between you and your hubby. So watch what you say. It's for your own good.
1. "Oh, I wasn't raised that way." Oh no, you didn't! These could be considering fighting words to a lot of in-laws, since you're basically making the assumption that something they taught their son (your husband) wouldn't have been allowed in your home. Criticizing his parents' parenting skills is probably not the smartest move.
2. "Can't wait to have a free babysitter!" Hold up! Just because his parents are excited about having grandkids doesn't mean you can pawn your future spawn off on them anytime you want. Be considerate and when they do offer to help out down the line, show your appreciation with free dinners and nice bottles of wine.
3. "Your son is such a [insert insult here]." Complain to your friends, therapist or even a stranger about how much of a slob or jerk your hubby can be sometimes. But whatever you do, don't talk smack about your man to his mom and dad. It's definitely not the best way to get into their good graces, much less keep the peace within the family.
4. "My mom makes the best cookies!" Right after biting into a cookie his mom made for you (note: this could be any food item really). While it may be true that your mom's cookies blow his mom's out of the water, what she doesn't know won't hurt her or offend her cooking skills.
5. "We have to spend [insert important holiday here] with my parents." It's completely up to you and your husband how you split the holidays. However, if a particular decision may sting the in-laws a bit, it's best to let him be the bearer of bad news. At least if they hate the messenger, it's their son and they'll get over it faster!