One of the smartest ways to make sure you look your best on your wedding day is by feeling your best. But it's not always that simple to tone muscle, drop extra weight, and fight annoying belly bloat. Luckily for you, we've outlined a guide with tips from top health and fitness experts, to help you get healthy in time for your wedding.
Whether you have two months, 30 days, or just one week, you'll feel your very best on your wedding day if you heed these pieces of advice.
At 60 Days: Tone Your Top Half
Want Jessica Biel's biceps for your big day? These exercises from celeb trainer Harley Pasternak will give your upper body a strong, lean line.
__Overhead Pullover: Works the "pinch zones" near your armpits. __
1. Lie face up on a bench with head near the edge, holding one dumbbell with both hands.
2. Raise arms and point to the sky. Inhale while lowering dumbbell behind your head until bent arms touch bend.
3. Exhale as you life dumbbell back over your head, stopping above chest. Do three sets of 20 reps.
Tricep Extension: Tones the muscles at the back of your arms.
1. Lying on your back on the floor, hold a dumbbell in each hand with arms raised toward the ceiling, palms facing each other.
2. Hinging at your elbows, lower dumbbells until they're next to your ears (but not touching the floor).
3. Extend your arms to return to the starting position. Do three sets of 20 reps.
Bent-Over Reverse Fly: Sculpts a sexy back.
1. Stand with feet shoulder width apart. Stick out your butt and bend forward so torso is parallel to the floor.
2. Raise arms outward like wings, then slowly lower them until they hand straight down. Keep elbows slightly bent; squeeze shoulder blades together at top of the movement. For a bigger challenge, hold light weights. Do three sets of 20 reps.
At 30 Days: Lose the Last Few
"Cutting 500 calories a day can help you drop a pound per week," says trainer Jay Cardiello, who recommends easy swaps like skim milk for whole in your latte (20 calories saved) and an English muffin in place of a bun with your burger (100 calories saved).
At 7 Days: Beat Bloat
What to eat and drink — and what to avoid — for a flatter belly on your wedding day.
Eat Bananas, Avoid Apples
Apples, peaches, and pears are packed with fructose, a big-time stomach sweller. Potassium-rich bananas, though, prevent puffiness by keeping sodium levels in check.
Drink Still Water, Avoid Sparkling Water
Water has loads of health benefits; just go with the nonbubby kind. "Carbonation can increase gas in your tummy and lead to bloating," says Cynthia Pasquella, a nutritionist in Malibu, California.
Drink Vodka, Avoid Margaritas
"It's best to skip alcohol altogether," says Pasquella. It's a diuretic, which means your body may get dehydrated and hold on to water. If you must imbibe, nix the sugary stuff and go with vodka on the rocks.
Eat Asparagus, Avoid Snow Peas
Veggies that help flush water out of your body, like asparagus, cucumbers, and celery, should be in heavy rotation during wedding prep. But peas, cauliflower, and broccoli contain sugars that are difficult to digest and feed gut bacteria.