Finding the perfect neutral polish for your wedding day is often easier than it looks — what looks gorge on one person can look less than flattering on another. Your best bet: "Look for something that matches your skin, and then go a shade or two lighter or darker," says Essie manicurist Julie Kandalec. "You'll know you've found the one when it doesn't look totally obvious on your hands. If you can't help but stare at the color, it needs to be tweaked." Here, the shades she loves for every skin tone.
1. If you have medium skin with cool undertones: A sheer, sandy beige with a light opalescent finish, like Butter London Yummy Mummy, will subtly brighten. When going neutral, don't be afraid to experiment with different finishes, Kandalec says. "Opalescence and shimmer can look beautiful on a bride." $15, available at Butter London
2. If you have dark skin with cool undertones: A semi-sheer lilac (yes, lilac!) shows up just enough on dark skin to make a pretty impact, Kandalec says. Try Formula X Sheer Strength in Fierce. $16, available at Sephora
3. If you have light skin with warm undertones: A sheer white, like Nails Inc NailKale Illuminator Polish in Bright Street, won't compete with any yellow in your complexion. $14, available at Net-A-Porter
4. If you have dark skin with warm undertones: A shimmery café au lait shade, like Essie Mamba, has a peachy undertone that will look gorgeous on you. (PS: The fact that it's semi-sheer makes application especially easy, if you're doing it yourself, Kandalec says.) $8.50, available at Essie
6. If you have light skin with cool undertones: Try an opaque, mauve nude like OPI Tickle My France-y. It will complement your skin tone without looking chalky. $9.50, available at Ulta