Marriage License Requirements
How to make it legal in Boston
• You do not need signed divorce papers, if you've been married previously (but your divorce will need to be final at the time of application).
• There is a three-day waiting period to receive your license.
• Your license is valid for 60 days from the day you originally file.
• Both residents and non-residents must apply for their marriage license in person.
What to Bring
• Social Security Number: Federal Statutes requires the collection of Social Security numbers at the time of application.
• Proof of Age: Proof of age is required if you are under the age of 24 in either the form of a passport or birth certificate.
• Money: $50, cash only
Where to Go
• You must apply for your license at 1 City Hall Square in Boston between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday or Friday.
For more information, visit cityofboston.gov or call (617) 635-4179