Marriage License Requirements
How to make it legal in Washington, DC
• Both bride and groom must apply together, in person.
• Blood tests are required.
• Residency is not required.
• There is a five-day waiting period to receive a license.
What to Bring
• Identification: You must bring legal picture identification, such as a driver's license, alien registration card, passport, or military ID. If the form of ID does not reflect your full legal name, it must be accompanied by a certified copy of your birth certificate.
• Proof of Age: Both of you must be 18 years or older to apply for a marriage license without special legal permission.
• Proof of Prior Marriage Dissolution: You must bring a certificate of divorce or death.
• Money: A license costs $45 and is payable in cash.
Where to Go
D.C. Superior Court
H. Carl Moultrie I Courthouse
500 Indiana Avenue, N.W., Room 4485
9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday thru Friday