Destination Weddings


Travel experts Mr & Mrs Smith tell you everything you need to know about planning a stylish fiesta

Need to know
Civil ceremonies require a consecutive 21-day residency period before you apply in person for the marriage permit. There’s no residency requirement if you’re Catholic or have a home in Spain. You’ll need a Certificate of No Impediment, approved translations of all necessary documentation (with apostille stamps) and an affidavit stating your address.

Wow, that’s simple. Anything else?
Catholic weddings require Mr and Mrs Smiths to attend pre-Cana courses that’ll need to be approved by the local Catholic church in Spain. To be married in a Catholic church, you’ll need to consult the archbishop in the region you’ve chosen and supply the following documents: a baptism certificate and a signed statement in Spanish confirming you’re both single and over 18 and that there’s no reason why you shouldn’t marry.

Useful contacts
Spanish tourist

Spanish embassy U.S.

Spanish embassy U.K. (+44-020-7235-5555)

Where to stay in Spain
Mr and Mrs Smith love the 21st-century farmhouse Can Simoneta. This secluded Mallorcan boutique hotel has private access to its own cove, and its Capdepera cliff top looks out to the Mediterranean.

Click here for more recommended wedding hotels in Spain.

See our other How to Get Married In... guides

How to get married in the Caribbean
How to get married in Barbados
How to get married in France
How to get married in Mexico
How to get married in Italy
How to get married in Greece
How to get married in Europe

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from