WHY WE LOVE IT
- Two very different, very picturesque towns surrounded by desert and sea: to the northeast, San Jose del Cabo, a mission town established in the 18th century and still charming; and at the southern tip, Cabo San Lucas, whose shops, restaurants and nightclubs rock around the clock.
- Beaches galore.
- Spectacular scenery with dramatic rock outcroppings, most famously El Arco, a rock arch at the tip of Land’s End, where the Pacific Ocean meets the Sea of Cortes.
- Virtually guaranteed great weather, with an average temperature of 70 degrees (though much higher in summer) and an average annual rainfall of only 10 inches.
- A bevy of world-class luxury spas.
- Several pet-friendly hotels, in particular Esperanza, Las Ventanas and One&Only Palmilla.
- Easy access, with a variety of nonstop flights or convenient connections from Aero California, Aeromexico, Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, US Airways, Continental, Delta, Frontier, Mexicana and United.
WHEN TO GO
The high season runs from October to April, so if you're on a budget it's best to travel between May and September, when the temperature soars to 100-plus degrees but rates plummet. The little bit of rain that does fall comes during September and October.
WHAT TO PACK
Passport; resort attire (some restaurants prohibit shorts and sandals); swimwear; sunglasses, sunscreen, hat; camera.
WHAT TO BUY
Handblown glass, ceramics, Mexican artwork, Mexican fire opals, Talavera pottery, silver jewelry, cigars, tequila.
Contact the Los Cabos Tourism Board (Lazaro Cardenas Edificio Posada, Cabo San Lucas, BCS Mexico; 52-624-143-4777, 866-LOS-CABOS; visitloscabos.org). Another excellent Web resource is loscabosguide.com.
GETTING MARRIED IN LOS CABOS
You can have your ceremony on the beach, on a yacht, in a private villa or a golf clubhouse, even while scuba diving. Several resorts have wedding chapels. You'll need current passports; certified copies of both your birth certificates; a Tourist Card (which you get upon arrival in Mexico) or a visa; health certificates and blood tests (hotels will help you set up the tests, which have to have been done in the past 15 days). If you've been divorced you must wait a full year to remarry and provide a certified copy of the final divorce decree. Widows or widowers must have a certified copy of the death certificate. And you'll need two witnesses at the ceremony.