ST KITTS & NEVIS
WHY WE LOVE IT
- Sister islands blessed with lush vegetation, tropical flowers, dormant volcanoes, white-sand beaches, and colonial architecture.
- An abundance of romantic retreats; many 18th-century plantations have been converted into small hotels.
- Not just for beach bums: adrenaline junkies can windsurf the two miles between the islands, bike the old sugar roads, and explore the islands on horseback.
- See the St. Kitts Music Festival in June; Alexander Hamilton's birthplace on Nevis.
- Good buys: bowls from Newcastle Pottery, Nevis; Caribelle batik and John Warden clothes from St. Kitts; hot sauce and honey; commemorative issues from the Nevis Philatelic Bureau.
WHEN TO GO
High season is December to March; seek bargains any other time—summer heat is tempered by steady northeasterly winds; May to November rains are not severe, and hurricanes come with warnings.