FH and I don't know what to do!

Online Users: 1,279 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 0

iluhvyooh8o80335 Posts : 3 Registered: 1/23/07
FH and I don't know what to do!
Posted: Jan 13, 2013 10:53 PM

I'll give some background about my fiance and I. My fiance is in the Marine Corps but he was raised in Kentucky where all his family lives. He is stationed in Hawaii where I live, born and raised. Our wedding will (sadly) be consisting mainly of my family and friends. He has a small family and I have a fairly large family.

We thought that we would have a Las Vegas wedding because it's kind of in the middle of Hawaii and Kentucky. My family loves to go to Vegas so they would be fine with going. My family would need to know enough time in advance to save money for their tickets and hotel rooms. However, since he's in the military, he would need to get his leave approved since he would need to travel. He tried asking his Sgt. about the time he would need his leave and they said they don't know that far in advanced. We were planning on having an August wedding. We don't know when he'll know about his leave. The last thing I want is for my family to pay for their flight to Vegas only to find out his leave didn't get approved and we can't get married.

I think it would be a lot easier if we just got married in Hawaii. We would need less people to fly to Hawaii than to fly to Vegas. His brother is his best friend so it's no surprise that he will also be his Best Man. Problem is his brother's family and my fiance's groomsmen. His brother says that they can't afford to pay for everyone (a total of 5 people) to go to Hawaii. Basically if we want them to all be there, we would need to pay for them to come. When I checked the airfares, it was about $900 a person. That's $4500 for just his family and since his groomsmen won't be able to afford to come to Hawaii either, that's another 3 people we need to fly. This will come out to about $7200 just for his family and groomsmen to fly out. We can't afford that.

I seriously don't know what to do. Do we go with the Vegas wedding and take a chance that he will not be able to get approved of his leave or do we have a Hawaii wedding and idk...? It's stressing me out. I want a wedding where we could celebrate our marriage with both families.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine