What's Your Favorite Birth Control?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 87
Posted: Feb 28, 2006 5:33 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Barbara, Why am I not suprised you posted here too....Your study that you cite is from 1981, and the latest one I could find is from 2002 from the FDA that cites a 25% FAILURE rate.

Problems with that SYMPTOTHERMAL METHOD (METHODS TOGETHER)method:
Do not depend on charting your fertility pattern if

You have irregular periods, during breast-feeding and those approaching menopause.

Your partner is unwilling to observe periods of abstinence from vaginal intercourse, practice withdrawal, or use barrier methods at unsafe times.

You have a sexually transmitted infection or frequent abnormal discharges.

You cannot keep careful records.

Charting you fertility pattern can work for you if

You have received careful instruction in the methods.

You have only one sex partner and he is equally committed to the methods you want to use.

You have the self discipline required to check and chart your fertility signs and observe the rules.

Charting your fertility pattern may not be appropriate for you if

You have more than one sex partner does.

Your sex partner isn’t equally committed to the methods you want to use.

You are temperamentally unsuited for keeping close track of your fertile days.

You have doubts about being able to abstain from vaginal intercourse for at least 10 days each month or to use a barrier method on "unsafe" days.

You wouldn’t consider having an abortion although you have a medical condition that poses a grave danger for you if you become pregnant.

You take medication that may affect your cervical mucus, body temperature, or menstrual regularity.

Posted: Mar 1, 2006 10:51 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I take Estrostep FE, and have since I was 16. I had dysemenorhhea (read: extremely painful periods) and this pill wiped it out - althought any BC pill should wipe it out. Anyways, I tried the patch for convenience purposes for about 2 months, it made me a raging hormonal mess! And then after hearing about the huge increase in stroke risk (I am a former smoker), I stopped using it and went back to Estrostep FE (the FE part is because the "sugar pills" are actually iron pills to combat iron deficiency anemia, which I have and many women get during their period bc of loss of blood).

So yeah, I suppose that is my favorite Smile

Posted: Mar 1, 2006 3:36 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

IMHO I would never put fake hormones into my body for any length of time. I have never used birth control, I just don't believe in it (not for religious reasons).

Posted: Mar 2, 2006 1:04 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I really want to go on Depo because it is so effective and easy, but I'm uneasy about it because I keep reading that it causes bone loss. My doctor actually won't give it to me, so I'd have to switch doctors if I wanted to go on it. One of my married friends is on it, and asked her doctor about it. He said if you eat enough calcium and/or take calcium supplements, there is no problem. Still, though, I'm still a little worried, so my doctor put me on the Nuva Ring.

Posted: Mar 3, 2006 12:48 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

first, i think differeent birth controls are good for different people..these are just my personal experiences. in college i had 2 friends on depo-provera. one had her period very very heavily for 6 months, until she decided to get off it. another took the depo shot and lost ALL of her hair, on her head, her eyebrow, eyelashes, etc. for me, there are too many strange side effects. and you cant just stop taking it one day...its in you for a while. i took a couple different pills, the worst was ortho tri-cyclen. i hate it. i was a super bit@h when i was on it...it has a very high dose of hormones. i eventually switched to the nuva ring. i think it is great. it is easy. it does not have to be in a special position, since it is not a barrier method. it releases loww hormone doses and because it doesnt go into your blood stream like the pill, you can get pregant quicker when you stop taking it. it allows some screw up, if you forget and leave it in, you are covered for a week. also, my fiance cant feel it most of the time and when he can, he says he likes it, it is like extra stimulation (sorry if that's too much info). it is just so easy for me and extremely effective.

Posted: Mar 3, 2006 3:06 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Actually, sunnybabi, the Depo shot has gotten a black label warning (the strongest the FDA can give without pulling the medication), because it prevents the body from being about to properly adsorb calcium, so all those calcium pills your friend is taking aren't covering her. There is a reason your doctor won't give it to you-it really is something to think about. The Depo shot contains a very high level of horomones, I have never personally known anyone who has taken it without some fairly major side effects (mainly a lot of weight gain-but some others as well). I would seriously research other methods to see if something else would do what you want before deciding Depo is worth the risk.

Posted: Mar 4, 2006 10:20 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Well, I'm not going on depo, despite how much my friend loves it. It just sounds a bit scary and risky to me. I am going on the Nuva Ring, though. I'm glad to hear other ladies saying they like it!

Posted: Mar 4, 2006 2:52 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I was on Depo for three years and I loved it. I never had to remember to take my BCP, and I only got my period once every three months. After three years my doctor adviced me to switch since it is known to cause osteoporosis after long term use. I ended up breaking my collar bone and she said I should give my body a break from Depo.

I loved not having to remember to take a pill everyday. The only thing I did not like was that over the three year span I gained 20 pounds! I lost the weight in only two months after I got off the shot.

I am now on the generic version of Ortho Tri-Cyclen and it has been really good for my acne. I get a little nervous because it is not as easy as Depo, but i think it is better for my body.

Here is a website with some comparisons between different pills:
http://www.wdxcyber.com/ncontr13.htm

Posted: Mar 5, 2006 1:08 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I am on Yasmin also. I love it!!! It's low hormone, good to my skin, and I doesn't make you gain weight.

Posted: Mar 15, 2006 11:57 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I'm on Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo.I have been on it for 3 months and have lighter periods with hardly any cramps. I love it and would recommend it.

Posted: Mar 15, 2006 12:14 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I've been on the ring, the patch and now I'm on Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo. I loved the ring, but... well... lets just say the first time we played "ring toss" in bed I decided it had to go. Then I really liked the patch, but all of the surprise warnings that came out regarding the higher risks of strokes and blood clots made me freak out so I went off of that. Right now I love Ortho Lo in some respects and not so much with others. I think because it's only my second month the bad stuff will go away. First of all, because of the low hormones I LOVE that I'm not as STARVING all the time as I was with the others, and I've started to lose weight. Also, my skin has cleared up (a definite plus). The only problem I've had is because the hormone is so low I keep spotting/getitng my period at odd times. It's better this month, but I'm still 4 days early and this morning "surprise!"..... granted last month it was over a week early... so I'm hoping that my body will find it's happy little schedule on it's own as it gets used to the lower hormones.

Posted: Mar 16, 2006 12:44 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

i've been using Alesse 28 since i've been 18 now I'm 22 and have had NO problems. I originally went on it because I had horrible cramps and needed to regulate my period and it helped with both of those. it's a low-dose pill and i don't experience any strange side-effects (like weight gain). I recommend it 100%. Oh and if you do go on the pill make sure your pharmicist doesn't switch you to a generic brand of your pill...i think that's the stupidest idea ever. generic meds only have to have I think it's 85% of effective ingredients...that's too scary when it comes to birth control, don't take any chances.

Posted: Mar 20, 2006 11:45 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Well, I've been on the ring for 2 weeks now and I love how it's so easy and convenient, but I have a huge problem with it. FH and I are virgins and waiting until we're married, but my sex drive has plummeted. Literally, I hardly have one anymore. I absolutely hate this bc I'm getting married in 3 and a half monthes and I have no sex drive...this is going to ruin my wedding night and honeymoon and marriage! I'm going to have to go off it, but I don't know what else to do. I'm afraid the pill will do the same thing, I don't want to always use condoms, and I have too many friends who have had serious problems with IUDs. HELP! I don't know what to do!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine