What's Your Favorite Birth Control?

Online Users: 1,246 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 87
Posted: Dec 24, 2005 4:01 AM

I've never had to take any before, but I don't want to have sex for the first time with a condom, so I'm trying to find the right one. I tried to take birth control once and it was so horrible my fiance almost moved out! He, or anyone else for that matter, couldn't stand being around me I was so manic and I bled the entire time I was on it. I know everyone's body is different, but I thought I'd ask and try to see what the more popular brands are and I'll start with them first to find the right one for me.

Posted: Dec 24, 2005 7:20 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Well, myself Im on the patch. Its not for everyone, but it has worked great for me so far. However, with the recent warnings on it about strokes, Im going in next month to talk to the OB about other possibilities. As for you, maybe try a low hormone pill, like Ortho-lo. Or better yet, just go for something without any hormones in it. I think the Nuva Ring is hormone free...I could be wrong as Im not very familiar with it. These are just a few suggestions. It definately sounds like you need something with low or no hormones though. A good friend of mine had the exact symptoms you were describing. Almost every pill she tried had the same effect, irritable and bleeding for 18 to 20 days....could be why she was irritable though. Anyway, she is able to use Ortho-lo without all of the crazy attached side effects. Hope this helps a little. Im sure there are others here who can offer more advice. Best of luck in your search. If I find out about anything new at my appointment next month, Ill be sure to let you know.

Posted: Dec 24, 2005 7:19 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I am on Yasmin and I love it. It is low hormone and does not have a lot of fillers which is good for people with sensitive stomachs. I was on Depo-Provera for two years and would not recomend it to anyone. It was awful. Also, there having difficulties with people getting pregnant on the patch because the dosage is off for some people. Plus, if you have sensitive skni like me it can give you bad rashes.

Posted: Dec 27, 2005 9:30 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I was on the patch for 2 years and loved it...very easy to do, a lot of leeway if you forget to change it on the exact day or put it back on on the exact day...and it takes effect quickly...you only have to wait a week after you first put it on (with the pill you are supposed to wait a month). I would still be on it except I am really lazy and don't want to go to the gyno to get probed again for a new prescription. But again like someone else said, with all of the problems they are having I was thinking of trying to nuevo ring.

I tried the pill for three months and had an awful time with it. I don't know anyone who recommends depo either.

If you are looking for non-hormonal, there is always the good old fashioned diaphram...we've also used this spermicide thing that wasn't too bad...its a film (kind of like those listerine mint strips) that you put inside about half an hour before you do anything...it desolves and works for about 3 hours.

Posted: Dec 27, 2005 12:50 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I am on the Pill ortho nova 777 and like it. I have never had any problems at all and my periods only last a day maybe a day and a half.

Posted: Dec 27, 2005 2:06 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I use Yasmine too and it is pretty good. I have very light periods with a little if any cramping. The only thing that I have found with ALL BC pills that I have taken is breast tenderness. That might just be me though. I am lucky and don't have cramps heardly ever so I guess I'll take a day or two of sore boobs.

Posted: Dec 27, 2005 5:08 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Also on the Patch. The only complaint I have is that it sometimes irritates my skin when I remove it. I've been thinking of switching to something even more permanent though. If anyone has any dish on IUDs or Nuva Ring, please share. Smile

Posted: Dec 27, 2005 9:26 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Norinyl. Used to be on Ortho 777 but then my HMO changed their contract. Mad Norinyl is okay but I get cramps sometimes.

I would go back to your Dr. and try something else. Sometimes you need to try several different formulations before you find the one that works best for you.

Posted: Dec 27, 2005 10:48 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Do your mother or sisters take the pill? I had to go on it when I was 16 (not for sex, but I had such bad pain that time of the month). My mom sent me to the doctor with a note saying what worked for her and my sister. They both tried several until they found what worked. He prescribed me the same thing and I've been on it for the past 5 years.

Everyone's body is different, but your mother or sister is probably the closest to you. Its a very good starting point.

Posted: Dec 27, 2005 11:49 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I was on the Ortho Nova (Novum? I thought that's what it was?) 777 also, for 12 years and never has a problem with it either. Eli, if I remember right from previous posts, your skinny like me. One of the reasons I was afraid to go on it was it could cause weight gain or loss and I was afraid of either losing to much or gaining alot and neither happened. I went off of them a year and a half ago, only because I was breaking up with my ex-boyfriend and decided if I ever had another relationship (FH!) he would be responsible for the birth control. I didn't notice any changes when I went off them, except my periods went from 3 days (Tuesday thru Thursday, like clockwork) to a little longer and not quite as regular.

Posted: Dec 28, 2005 3:53 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Unfortunately, my mom has had her tubes tied for ten years and my sisters are not sexually active and won't be for a long time. I'm the oldest. So I'm pretty much on my own. Frown

Yeah I'm skinny, but I'm not really worried about gaining weight.

Thank you everyone. I hope I still have enough time left to try out some things before the wedding.

Posted: Jan 5, 2006 12:34 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

The MIRENA..

It's the new IUD...good for 5yrs and you can take it out anytime...I have had mine in for 13mos now. I haven't had a period since last February. It's great. In the beginning 3mos I lightly bled...just enough for a pantyliner. After that...nada. My hubby-to-be and I both love it!!! If we want to get pregnant...I just get it taken out.

TraciSmile

Posted: Jan 5, 2006 1:32 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I've been thru a few...but Ortho Tricyclen was probably the longest I stayed on, and then switched to Ortho Lo when it came out. And I use the generic, which is $10 each month. That doesn't work for everyone, though. I've heard some pretty bad things about the Nuva Ring or whatever it's called, as far as side effects. And my friend said her boyfriend doesn't like it b/c he "hits" it (TMI? Sorry! Lol.) and it hurts. I've never had any problems with Ortho.

Posted: Jan 5, 2006 4:21 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Copper T IUD. It's good for 10 years with no pills, condoms, patches, foams or shots. No chemicals or hormones are put into your system so there's no weight gain, acne or mood swings either.
It took about 5 minutes to have it put in and I can have it removed at any time. Since there is nothing chemical in my system I could conceive right away insead of waiting like you sometimes have to do with other BC methods.
I have had mine for over 3 years now and not one problem.
If you have a good GYN they should talk to you and find the method that is best for YOU.

Posted: Jan 5, 2006 5:07 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I'm on the Paragard copper IUD as well. I love it!! I never knew birth control could be so hassle free! The first 3 months your periods may be heavier than normal. There is a risk of it being expelled, but IF it happens it usually happens within the first 3 days. Then, after that, within the first 3 months. After that, you're good to go. You just have to check it monthly. The good thing is, if it does fall out Paragard will cover the cost for a new one! Mine did get somewhat expelled in the first few days, but I had it put back in and haven't had a problem since. I love it!! My OB/GYN said that out of all of the hundreds that she's put in she's only removed two because of unhappiness. I wouldn't use anything else. There are no hormones and it's good for 10 years. When you have it removed you're immediatly able to get pregnant. I think it's the number one choice of birth control in Europe. You can check it out at http://www.paragard.com. Good luck to you, whatever you choose.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine