What's Your Favorite Birth Control?

Online Users: 1,256 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 87
Posted: Feb 12, 2006 12:21 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

An IUD doesn't really do anything to your period, it stays the same as it was before because there are no hormones.

Speaking of IUD's: I didn't know that there were uh..rubber/plastic flexible kinds. I thought they were all metal. That make sme more inclined to try one out one day.

Posted: Feb 26, 2006 1:16 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I work at an ob/gyn and their are two kinds of IUD. First their is merina witch is plastic and its good for 5 years and it had hormones in it. and their is a paragaurd and thats 10 years and that is made out of copper with no hormones. The Drs i work for dont put them in unless you have had a baby because your cervix is not opean. and it is very pain full to have one put in. i use the nuva ring. you just insert in to the vagina leave it in for 3 weeks take it out have your perios and put anew one in. that simple

Posted: Feb 26, 2006 2:40 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Wow, I'm constantly amazed at the amount of incorrect info posted here on BC.

(1) 'Natural methods' only work well for a small portion of the population (mainly if your period is supper regular, for some people it does not work well at ALL. If your period sometimes moves around or you get on other women's cycles if you live with them-this is probably not for you unless it is your ONLY BC option.

(2) IUDs can cause miscarriages if you become pregnant while using one, not after removed (I've read the info myself, not sure where the poster was getting hers). Also, your gyn should be willing to consider giving you one even if you haven't had children if you can't take hormones (if they won't find a new doctor ASAP). If you have never had a child the doctor will probably give you mild pain killers (local anestetic) and they can give you medication to dialate you for insertion. Almost always inserted during your period as you are more naturally dialated then.

Coppor IUDs have no effect on the period or cramping-actually can make it heavier. Good for 10 years.

Mirena-or plastic IUD 90% of women experience a 75% reduction in period most women 'spot' for 3 days a month. 20% have NO period at all on it does help with crmaping. Does contain a small amount of progestrone. Good for 5 years.

Depo shot-a lot of people experience weight gain on this because the hormone dosage is so high, also new studies suggest it does not allow bones to properly adsorb calcium (not good).

The patch-new studies suggest a higher stroke risk. I'd have to LOVE that kind of BC to deal with that. It can happen to you do not brush this increased risk to the side.

Overall, ask your gyn what is best for you, even if you are a virgin you should start going to the gyn at 21 to be screened for cancers (I had a friend die at 26 of cervical cancer). You should always try to take the lowest dosage of hormones that will do the job. If you are not happy with any side effects don't just 'deal' call your doctor and see what can be done (more than 5-10 lbs of weight gain means you are on an incorrect dosage, moodiness is not ok, etc).

Posted: Feb 27, 2006 8:56 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

quote:
I work at an ob/gyn and their are two kinds of IUD. First their is merina witch is plastic and its good for 5 years and it had hormones in it. and their is a paragaurd and thats 10 years and that is made out of copper with no hormones. The Drs i work for dont put them in unless you have had a baby because your cervix is not opean. and it is very pain full to have one put in.

I don't have children and just got my IDU inserted last week. I have Mirena and thy say it could reduce your period or take it away completely. They have to insert the IUD during your period because your cervix is dilated. It was apinful, but I'm pretty sure that child birth is a little worse. I'll take the pain of the IUD insertion, it only lasted 2 days. I feel fine now and am really happy with it.

Posted: Feb 27, 2006 5:35 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I just browsed through these 4 pages but surrprised I din't see any one talking about what I am on --and love!

I started taking Seasonel, the where you only get a period every 3 months and love it!!

I must say, my fiance loves it too.

The first 6 months I had some spotting but after that I have no spotting and very light periods--every 3 months. It's the best ever. I could just hug and kiss whatever drug company took this to the FDA! Smile

Posted: Feb 27, 2006 9:47 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I am using Ortho Tri Cyclen and I hate it. It seems as if I am always bloated. My fingers are swelled unreal and I have to take them at night so I don't throw up all day. I have a GYN appointment in two weeks and am happy to see all these options I am always reluctant to ask questions when I am there because I am uninformed. Glad to see that there really are other options. I had planned on asking about the patch but with the recent stoke problem rising I had ruled that one out.

Posted: Feb 27, 2006 10:45 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I would like to say that anyone who is afraid to ask questions at the gyno because they don't know much about BC-you SHOULD ask at the gyno, no where else will they give you better information (what better place to become informed-even info online can be sketchy). Plus a lot of times they have handouts with comparisions as such. Don't be afraid to ask a question at the doctor-better you get informed than live in the dark (plus you will not be the first person to ask that question).

Posted: Feb 27, 2006 10:51 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

On a lighter note, for those of you who think it's unfair for almost all the birth control responsibility to be on us, you should read "Still Life with Woodpecker" by Tom Robbins.... :0)

It's pretty wacky...but the main character is so devestated because he ruined the career of a scientist who was about to come up with a male birth control pill Smile It's not what the book is about, but y'all reminded me of it Smile

Posted: Feb 28, 2006 10:11 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

There is a natural method of family planning that is VERY effective, even if the woman's cycle is irregular. It is called the Sympto-Thermal method. By taking your temperature and checking your mucus, you can know when you are fertile and when you aren't even if your cycle is different every month! It is 99% effective (for every woman) as long as it is used correctly. There are different rules that you can follow depending on how regular your cycle is. It is very simple: when we are fertile, our bodies create watery mucus (so the sperm can live and swim to the egg) When we are not fertile, our bodies do not create mucus (or the mucus is more sticky). After we ovulate, our temperatures rise and stay up until the begining of our next cycle. (During this time, we are definitely not fertile) You just have to know all of the rules: the sperm can live for a couple of days in fertile mucus, so you have to be more careful when you are first learning. Go to www.ccli.org if you want more information!

Posted: Feb 28, 2006 10:46 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I've used a diaphragm for thirty years and love it. Effective, cheap, no hormones, I know it's there because I put it in, can't be felt, and extra bonus, it works like a tampon during your period.

Posted: Feb 28, 2006 11:09 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

According to the Mayo clinic natural methods of birth control can be 98% effective for women with COMPLETELY regular cycles. For women without completely regular cycles effectiveness drops to 80%.

That's the statistics on that.

Posted: Feb 28, 2006 11:42 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Calendar Rhythm basically assumed that women would have 28-day cycles with ovulation around Day 14. It was ineffective if cycles were either shorter or longer. Modern NFP acknowledges that a woman can routinely have cycles that are shorter or longer than the “average” of 28 days, and that her cycle can even vary from month to month. NFP users make their interpretation choices based on the fertility symptoms they are currently experiencing this month, which is why it is still highly effective for women with irregular cycles, unlike Rhythm.

Posted: Feb 28, 2006 11:53 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

"The fact that some methods of NFP can be 99% effective in the avoidance of pregnancy seems unknown to most of the general public--including many health care professionals. The fact that the fertility awareness which is a key element of modern NFP is also very helpful to couples of marginal fertility in seeking pregnancy is also unknown." www.ccli.org

Posted: Feb 28, 2006 5:17 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

quote:
Originally posted by jenface311:
i use the nuva ring. you just insert in to the vagina leave it in for 3 weeks take it out have your perios and put anew one in. that simple

Is Nuva ring easy to use? I mean is it easy to fit and position? Can you feel it all the time or is it something that you can forget about because it's so comfortable?

Posted: Feb 28, 2006 5:30 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

There are so many types out there and so much to learn about them! I'm thinking of changing my birth control after we get married this summer. I've been on Depo for 9 years, and have loved it. But at the same time, even though the Dr. says there's no problem with long term use, it makes me nervous to be on it so long. What do you guys think?

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine