What's Your Favorite Birth Control?

Online Users: 1,352 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 87
Posted: Jan 28, 2006 10:33 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

quote:

I really don't understand why men don't have their own birth control...(other than vasectomy and withdrawing) why do women have to go through this? Is there a pill for men to help them produce no sperm? Is it more than a societal complex that it's the women that are taking the pills and not the men?

I'd like to know if anyone knows..!

Ugh! This bugs me too! It's like all the responsibility and uncomfort is on me. FH is sensitive to my feelings and trys to help if he can. (but really what can he do?)
Sorry if it seems if I'm bitter about this but it is one of my pet peeves....although I did see something on tv a long time ago about how they were trying to develope b'c for men. Can't Wait!

Also, about depo...a lady I work with was on it for several years and she finally had to go off of it because it had depleted the calcium in her body so badly.

Posted: Jan 28, 2006 11:20 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I hate birth control!!! I have used two different kinds and both made me depressed and sick! I used them for about four months and then gave up. We just pull out now, and it's worked for 4 years. I'm not saying you should do this because I am aware that it is not highly effective, however, it worked for us. I do this being prepared that I could get pregnant, but I will never go back on birth control. It has different effects on everyone so you might want to give it another try.

Posted: Jan 28, 2006 11:23 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

quote:
Originally posted by VegasBride:
Wow...where did you read that?? Maybe they meant if you happen to get pregnant while you have the IUD?? I've never heard that and when I talked to my OB/GYN about it before I got it and she said there's no risk of miscarriage or ectopic when you remove it and decide to get pregnant. That was probably information recycling itself from the 70's.

I don't know if it was if you had it in or not, I just know that is what it said. It wasn't from the 70's because it was about now. They said the one that caused alot of problems wasn't even on the market anymore, but it's still a risk for the new ones. I know that when I talked to several women about IUD all of them said it was painful and they hated it though.

Posted: Jan 28, 2006 11:33 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

While BC for men sounds like a good option to some, I wouldn't want FH on it. The pill has made my life so much easier and I don't get as moody as I used to. I've been on Yasmin for 2 years and I wish I would've done it sooner. Yes, it's kept me from getting pregnant, but I originally started the pill to keep me regular and help with cramps so bad I couldn't go to classes/work. While it has many side effects, I haven't had problems with any of them and it has helped with breakouts, regular periods, and when the time came, it helped with birth control. If it's something that's going to make things easier on me in more ways than one, I wouldn't expect FH to do anything like this.

Posted: Jan 29, 2006 1:58 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I am on ortho tri-cyclen lo, a BC with low hormones.

It works wonderfully for me, if anything it makes my periods easier. I don't bleed as heavy and I have no cramps at all now.

http://www.orthotri-cyclenlo.com/

Posted: Jan 29, 2006 11:22 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

quote:
Originally posted by dpratt:
I have to say that I am crazy about the NuvaRing. I have a crazy schedule and I'm sometimes forgetful, so taking a pill everyday is not for me.

I totally agree. I've been on Nuvaring for almost 3 years, and it is great. Plus, the send you a little timer that reminds you when you need to remove it or put a new one in. I have had no side effects, although I never had bad cramps or migraines before. Of couse, FH still thinks I get crabby, so there's always that. Anyways, long story short - highly recommended!

Posted: Jan 31, 2006 12:25 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I use a IUD its put in side youre utures and it last for five years. I love it dont have a period and I live a happy care free life. I got it put in after I had my son its the best form of birth contorl for me. I dont have to worry about a pill or went i have to go get more. We you want to have childern youre OBGY takes it out and I dont feel it at all. Ladies Im telling you ask youre OBGYN about this form of birth control. Wink

Posted: Jan 31, 2006 12:29 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I use Estrostep and don't even know I am on it. No side effects whatsoever. I had used Yasmin, Ortho Tri Cyclen, and Depo.

Posted: Jan 31, 2006 12:40 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

quote:
Originally posted by parvastella22:
I have tried depo and my fiance hates condoms. The results really were not my cup of tea. My doctor eventually told me that I could not use any type of hormonal pill because it had adverse reactions in me (hives, continuous bleeding) and certain materials in condoms gave me rashes.

So what else was I to rely on?

I actually use natural methods and it seems to be just as effective as anything else. There are no side effects and although people misinterpret the "rhythm method" to be very unreliable (I think it is too but I don't count days at all) there are a number of different natural methods to check out.

Did you know that your saliva changes it's celluar make-up when you ovulate? Because there are little slides which you simply lick on and will tell you if you have ovulated or will be ovulating in 3 days.

Did you also know that your temperature rises when you are on the verge of ovulating? This also is a natural method that can be combined with others to ensure you do not get pregnant when you are not ready for a baby.

I've used these methods and know my body well enough to detect when I am about to ovulate. It's worked for me so far and although no birth control is 100% (except for abstinence) I really like the feeling that I have been using simple and natural methods.

I would like some more info on natural methods if u have any sites i can go to. I also have had bad reactions to bc Hives!

Posted: Jan 31, 2006 5:16 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I was on depo for a little over a year...the year I was on was great--no periods (my breasts got tender when I normally would have been on my period), no babies! But after I went off, it seemed like my body couldn't get the hormones right and it was hell for about 6 months. Also, when you're going off depo, it can take longer to get pregnant than other forms of bc.

Posted: Jan 31, 2006 11:06 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

quote:
Originally posted by jazmine:
I use Estrostep and don't even know I am on it. No side effects whatsoever. I had used Yasmin, Ortho Tri Cyclen, and Depo.

Where can I find some info on Estrostep? Is it a pill? or what? I'd like to look at that. Big Grin

Posted: Feb 6, 2006 9:20 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

quote:
Originally posted by luvangels_2226:
I would like some more info on natural methods if u have any sites i can go to. I also have had bad reactions to bc Hives!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_family_planning

It's just a Wikipedia site but your best bet to be taught how to use NFP would probably be through the Catholic Church. There are often NFP classes at each Catholic parish to help couples understand the bodily functions of a woman's cycle. I believe abstinence and NFP are the only types of birth control Catholics are permitted to use.

Although you could also ask a doctor about it. My doctor taught me how to map out my cycles using my temperature readings, but like it says in the article NFP may not be for everyone due to changes in one's lifestyle.

Not to be gross or anything but I will get in discreet detail below. Read on if you dare!

I know when I am on the verge of ovulation because I secrete thick jelly egg-white mucus approximately 10 days before included with emotional irritation to the most irrational things. My breasts also swell to a tender as well as my nipples tend to be a lot more sensitive...Sometimes I am left wondering where my period went but it usually comes in after a dry spell (no mucus secretions).

Posted: Feb 8, 2006 9:05 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I was reading through all these posts and noticed that no one really mentioned using a diaphragm. Does anyone here use one?

I have been on BC pills for almost 8 years (Ortho Tri Cyclen and Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo) and am ready to get off the hormones. At first, everything was good, but they took some getting used to. For about the past year though I have been having problems (painful sex, sorry if TMI!) caused by the hormones in the pill. FH and I have been to my gyno two or three times with the problem, and the only answer they give me is trying different pills or other medicines. I don't want to have to take more medicine to fix what one medicine is causing, especially since I've already been on BC for so long.

FH doesn't like condoms (I'm not the biggest fan either) but will use them so I can feel better. Still, I'd like any thoughts from anyone who's used a diaphragm since I'm thinking of getting one. Thanks!!!

Posted: Feb 10, 2006 6:13 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

As far as depo, I was on it for five years and 41/2 of the 5 I loved it I never had any problems, high level of protection against pregnancy, absolutly no pms or periods. I only had a slight weight gain. However I started reacting to it- extra weight gain and acne and I went off. The thing that scared me was that I didn't get my period for the next two years- being bc free! It is just such a strong dose of hormornes. Now I'm on a generic regular dose pill- I like it but am considering a hormone free IUD

Posted: Feb 10, 2006 9:44 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Thought I would add to the discussion. I have been taking the same birth control pill for 8 years now (wow, I just counted that and I'm surprised it's been that long) it's called Lo-Ovral. I was 17 when I started b/c I had really bad cramps with my period and it was very irregular. In fact, it's a Sunday start pill and I remember when I was 17 and I had the "free" packs from my gyno, I didn't get my period for like, 2 months and had to wait to start taking it for the 1st Sunday after my period. It was like hell waiting for it to start.

Anyway, the pill is good b/c it can help regulate your cycle. If irregular periods are a problem, the pill is a huge enormous help. Also, cramps are a thing of the past. I find that I might need a few ibuprofen tablets if I'm feeling a little crampy, but nothing major like it was for the first 5 years after my period began when I was 11.

The IUD doesn't do anything for regulating your periods, does it? I looked at the website for it and I couldn't find the answer. It says it doesn't disrupt your period, but since there aren't hormones I would assume it doesn't regulate them either.

This is great info for us to share with each other! I'm glad this thread is here!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine