What's Your Favorite Birth Control?

Online Users: 1,283 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 87
Posted: Jan 11, 2006 5:47 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I can't remember what birth control I use, but I can tell you this Eli. I have used many different kinds and some have worked, some havent worked. I bled and was moody and all. Well come to find out the dosages just were not near strong enough to do any good. Talk to your Gyno and tell him to up the dose and then try changing after that if it doesn't work.

Posted: Jan 12, 2006 7:02 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Question: What's so bad about Depo-Provera? I have a married friend who is on it and she loves it and recommended it to me?

Posted: Jan 22, 2006 8:04 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I've been on Depo Provera for almost 2 years and think it's one of the best things out there. Not only is it effective and inexpensive, you only have to think about it 4 times a year! When taken every three months it's 99% effective. I WOULD RECOMMEND DEPO TO ANYONE!!!

Posted: Jan 22, 2006 8:46 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I've been on Yasmin for 2 years and love it. It has made life so much easier. When you go to your OB/GYN, they will prescribe what they feel is best for you.

Posted: Jan 22, 2006 11:07 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Okay I have been on birth control half my life so here it goes. The 1st one was Triphasil it worked great for me and I lost weight while on it. I got changed to several others over the years due to other issues. I then tried the IUD for about 2 years but then it shifted and it HURT. So out that came. I am now on Kariva, its working great for me and no weight loss or mood swings.

I know there is a Low Dose Ortho pill, that may be your best bet. Wink Good Luck, I don't know how much time you have but if it makes you crazy call the Doc. and try a new one.

Ann

Posted: Jan 22, 2006 11:23 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

The NuvaRing is the best thing ever! It is hormonal birth control (like the Pill) but it is in very low doses because it doesn't have to go through your digestive system. I am very sensitive to any medication/hormone so I tried about every kind of Pill on the market and had various problems with all of them. I have been on NuvaRing for about a year and have had no problems at all.

Posted: Jan 23, 2006 5:01 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I have tried depo and my fiance hates condoms. The results really were not my cup of tea. My doctor eventually told me that I could not use any type of hormonal pill because it had adverse reactions in me (hives, continuous bleeding) and certain materials in condoms gave me rashes.

So what else was I to rely on?

I actually use natural methods and it seems to be just as effective as anything else. There are no side effects and although people misinterpret the "rhythm method" to be very unreliable (I think it is too but I don't count days at all) there are a number of different natural methods to check out.

Did you know that your saliva changes it's celluar make-up when you ovulate? Because there are little slides which you simply lick on and will tell you if you have ovulated or will be ovulating in 3 days.

Did you also know that your temperature rises when you are on the verge of ovulating? This also is a natural method that can be combined with others to ensure you do not get pregnant when you are not ready for a baby.

I've used these methods and know my body well enough to detect when I am about to ovulate. It's worked for me so far and although no birth control is 100% (except for abstinence) I really like the feeling that I have been using simple and natural methods.

Posted: Jan 24, 2006 10:47 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I would have liked to use a natural method. I considered the "rythm method", but I have problems with my cycle, so I have to do something else. I looked at IUD's, but I read that 30% of women have miscarriages twice or ectoptic pregnancies when they do have babies...and I'm not willing to risk that either. So, I guess my best bet is a Pill!

Posted: Jan 24, 2006 12:42 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Wow...where did you read that?? Maybe they meant if you happen to get pregnant while you have the IUD?? I've never heard that and when I talked to my OB/GYN about it before I got it and she said there's no risk of miscarriage or ectopic when you remove it and decide to get pregnant. That was probably information recycling itself from the 70's.

Posted: Jan 24, 2006 3:59 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I also bled like crazy when i first started the pills, and it continued for almost a month! Then finally I couldn't take it any more and my OBGYN told me that those pills were wrong for my body and I needed a higher dosage of estrogin. So I would talk to her and get her to perscribe something else. Try Ovocan 35...it is great and cheap!

Posted: Jan 26, 2006 9:11 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Hi Ladies!
I am new, but wanted to get in on this discussion. I agree with parvastella22 about using "natural" ways of birth control. My fiance also hates condoms, but that is too bad. We had talks about the problems I was having with the pill and he just wanted me to feel better. I was on Yasmine first, then Ortho-Cyclen, Ortho-Tri-Cyclen, Ortho-Tri-Cyclen Low, and then finally Mircette and the Nuva Ring. I had major side effects with ALL. Major water retention (my rings didn't fit), swollen breasts, depression, mood swings, etc. I have been off the pill now for about 5-6 months and I feel SO MUCH BETTER! I truly believe if you are RESPONSIBLE about intercourse you will be just fine. So to anyone that is scared to go off the pill because they think they will get pregnant, don't worry. Think about how many people don't get pregnant on their first try when they are trying to have kids. There is a reason for that....it is not that easy to get pregnant. I am not saying to go out and have a bunch of unprotected sex, but I am saying that if you are responsible about it, you will be just fine.

Posted: Jan 26, 2006 11:14 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I have to say that I am crazy about the NuvaRing. I have a crazy schedule and I'm sometimes forgetful, so taking a pill everyday is not for me. The ring is small, flexible, put it in once a month, take it out three weeks later, and you're protected. Plus, since it is locally releasing the hormones it is a much lower dose (read: less side effects). The convenience is great and you don't have to have a Dr. put it in, plus you can't feel it at all.

Posted: Jan 27, 2006 11:22 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I didn't read ALL the posts on here yet, but from the ones I did read, I haven't heard anything about the one I'm currently taking. It's called Estrostep and I think it's relatively new. It kinda freaks me out though - I've never had sex, and don't plan to until my wedding, but I've been taking the birth control for almost a month now and haven't noticed anything different. Which make me wonder if it's really working. How do you know?

Posted: Jan 27, 2006 11:59 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I've read on these posts that some women have had a problem with Depo Provera, and I had talked over it with my doctor along with mostly every other birth control...

I guess bleeding for 4 weeks on end with a birth control is "normal" but I really freaked out when I kept on bleeding. It's almost like saying that losing your hair for 4 weeks is normal for Rogaine or something.

But my doctor explained that Depo had been given dosage 2x as strong as usual BC, reasoning why so many women had the common side-effect of continuous bleeding. He also noted that it's been recalled or something to that effect, that articles in medical magazines were published discouraging the perscription.

But again every woman is different. I have had irregular periods before Depo (was it Depo that helped it? I'm not sure!) but now my periods are quite frequent and on time. My mother told me that she had irregular periods up until she got pregnant; which possibly tuned her body into a regular cycle.

I highly suggest natural methods if you can help it. If your mate isn't sacrificing his money or time to help you prevent pregnancy it's not fair for you to be taking that extra step to take all the medical risks that come with taking the pill, patch, or inserting the rings.

I really don't understand why men don't have their own birth control...(other than vasectomy and withdrawing) why do women have to go through this? Is there a pill for men to help them produce no sperm? Is it more than a societal complex that it's the women that are taking the pills and not the men?

I'd like to know if anyone knows..!

Posted: Jan 28, 2006 4:58 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I'm using NuvaRing as well, and I absolutely love it. It's so easy, and you only have to think about it once every three weeks. I haven't had a problem with side effects. When I first started using it, I had a bit of nausea the first day I put one in, but that went away after the first couple months. I've been using it for about 3 years now. I would definitely reccommend it.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine