What's Your Favorite Birth Control?

Online Users: 1,277 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 87
Posted: Jan 5, 2006 5:23 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I too am on Yasmin, and I LOVE it. My periods last for only 3 days and are super light. I have some little cramping, but nothing like before. It is great and my friends are now on it.

**Amanda**

Posted: Jan 5, 2006 6:04 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

The first pill I was ever on was microlite and it was great, like I wasn't taking anything at all. I switched to Dianett about 4 years ago to clear up my acne and unlike some people, have had no ill side affects and my skin has never been better Smile

Posted: Jan 8, 2006 12:48 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Ok....this might be a weird question - but to those of you with Paragard, or other IUDs for that matter, can you still use tampons? (I'm sorry if this is TMI!)

Posted: Jan 8, 2006 9:39 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I'm also on Yasmin. It's great. I don't get as bloated anymore each month, no cramping, light periods, and I didn't gain any weight on it. The first month I was on it, my body took a little time to adjust, but after that I was fine.

Posted: Jan 8, 2006 10:43 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Paragard website says you can still use tampons. It's inserted into your uterus, not your vagina.

For those of you who have used an IUD, what does it feel like to have it inserted? It seems like it might be a great option for me because I've had a lot of trouble with hormones in the past and I am horrible at routines and can't handle taking a pill every day, but I'm worried about the procedure. I am a virgin and have only used a tampon a couple of times and have never been to gyn. I get really queasy and light headed when inserting something into my vagina or even just thinking about it too much. I want to try an IUD but I'm worried I may not be able to handle having it inserted.

Posted: Jan 8, 2006 4:03 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Regarding the NuvaRing, I have been on it for almost 3 years now and I love it. I anly have to think of BC once a month and it really shortens my period time too. I was on the pill for 5 years before that, and I was just happy with how it made me feel. I had headaches all the time. Nuva Ring is definitely a great choice for someone new to BC.

Posted: Jan 9, 2006 12:55 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I have the copper T IUD, too. I have had it for 4 years now and I LOVE it!!! I did the pill for years but I just don't do well on hormones, and I hated the weight gain. The IUD caused some cramping and heavy bleeding which I didn't have with the pill, but over time it went away. The IUD is not for everyone, though, you have to talk to your OB/Gyn and see if it's for you. A lot of OB/Gyns don't recommend them to women who haven't had children because there is a slight risk that your uterus could get punctured when inserted, or damaged when removed. Since I already have two (from a previous marriage) I really wasn't too concerned. I have recommended the IUD to many women and they have all loved it!!! Just make sure you check that it's there after every period, they CAN move. Some women don't have the right shaped uterus, so again, consult with an OB/Gyn that has inserted plenty of IUD's. It's THE BEST method of BC, and it's hormone free!!! JMO :-)

Posted: Jan 9, 2006 1:54 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Yes, with the IUD there is a risk of a puncture on insertion. The risk is very low. Again, my OB/GYN has never had it happen in the hundreds of procedures she has done. If your doctor is experienced, then the risk is even lower. There is cramping on insertion. Nothing to cry over though. It seemed almost like mild menstrual cramps. And yes, your first few periods will be heavier than normal, but should return to normal after about three months. And really, it's not that big of a deal. Just get those super plus tampons and wear a pad. But, really, you should talk to your OB/GYN. Ask her/him how many they've done...ask about the risks...expulsion...periods...etc. Don't worry though!! If you do choose it, it's not as bad as it's sounding. And, at least you won't have those scary risks from hormones running through your blood. Good luck to you!

Posted: Jan 10, 2006 1:35 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I'm on Ortho Tri Cyclen. Been on it for 5 years. Works fine for me, cleared my skin big time, makes periods less painful. And it's kept me baby free!

Posted: Jan 10, 2006 9:49 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

My Mirena has a little bit of progesterone in it...it's a plastic IUD.

They insert it thru your cervix and into your uterus. My dr wanted to insert it while I was on my "period"...because the cervix is a little open during that time. Unfortunately...my cervix was open in the beginning...and closed at the end...so they had to manually dilate me to get it in. Just some pressure/cramping. Would definitely go through that again just to have the freedom...We love not having any worries. Since we don't think we're having any more kids. I have 3 from a previous..and he has 1 from a previous.

TraciSmile

Posted: Jan 10, 2006 6:34 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Im on the patch and I love it!

Posted: Jan 10, 2006 11:27 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I have been using Depo Provera for several years and I love it. I don't even get my period anymore- or PMS! I went on it because the first two days of my period were so incredibly painful and it completely cured that. My fiance and I still use a condom. Depo is 99% effective but I don't even want a 1% chance of having a baby before I am ready. Also, condoms make things a little "neater" if you get my drift. Smile (Sorry if that is TMI!)

Posted: Jan 10, 2006 11:41 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

eli:

Well, you relaize that you MUST (normally) go to the gyno to get a birth control anything, right? I'll be honest, I have only been once and I'm a virgin also. It's not the most comfy thing, but even if you're not sexually active, you need to get tested for cancers! I lost a friend to cervical cancer, and she wasn't sexually active either! She was only 23 when she died, and the doctors would have been able to catch it earlier if she had been tested.
I just had to say that. It's SO important to see the gyno.

Posted: Jan 11, 2006 1:44 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I also have Mirena. I got it in May. I was on the patch for several yrs before that. I liked the patch. Pretty much hassle free. I super love Mirena. It's the best thing I could have ever done. I don't have children, so my Gyn was a bit hesitent, so we tried other things, but I ran into problems. If you are a virgin and have never been to the Gyn I would recommend starting with the patch. The Nuva ring gave me a discharge that I could not deal with. My Doc said that's a common side effect. I do not trust myself to take a pill everyday, so that's out of the question. Just talk to your doctor. They'll have ideas that will be good for you. Also, you'll want to get established with a doctor that you feel comfortable with. It may NOT be the first one you go to, so I would start looking into it right away. You must feel comfortable to be honest and open with your doctor. P.S. I suffer from migraines, and I have not had one since I had the IUD inserted!!!! I also have barely had a period! Maybe a panti liner if I'm lucky!

Posted: Jan 11, 2006 4:34 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

quote:
Originally posted by TattoedBride:
I lost a friend to cervical cancer, and she wasn't sexually active either! She was only 23 when she died, and the doctors would have been able to catch it earlier if she had been tested.
I just had to say that. It's SO important to see the gyno.

Thank you for sharing. I never really believed that it was a concern at my age (to develop cervical cancer). I always felt it was an overly cautions thing for me, a (now formerly)22 year old virgin to get a pap, but you make me very glad I have. Maybe your post will encourage more girls to stop putting off their gyno visit too.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine