Tables/Chairs at Reception

Online Users: 1,356 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 4

Choukag Posts : 1 Registered: 5/17/11
Tables/Chairs at Reception
Posted: May 17, 2011 11:05 PM

My daughter's fiancee has gotten it into his head that, although 120 people are being invited to the wedding, there should only be about half that amount of seating at dinner. They are having a buffet dinner plus open bar. Someone told him that this is the newest trend and so far he is not budging. They are getting married at a upscale golf club. Anyone ever been to a wedding that didn't have seating for all the guests during dinner?

FutureMrsDJLeo Posts : 615 Registered: 2/26/09
Re: Tables/Chairs at Reception
Posted: May 17, 2011 11:25 PM Go to message in response to: Choukag

There has been a lot of discussions on here about how many seats are required, and I think there should be seats for everyone. Ask him how he would like to attend a dinner and by the time he arrives, all the seats are taken.

The next time your daughter and her fh have a meeting with the golf course, tell your daughter to bring this up to their planner. I assume this is something that the GC wouldn't allow, as it is very poor ettiquette and would go back to them, and if they want to hold a good reputation, they would make certain there is enough seating for everyone. I had my reception at a GC as well, and I remember they were telling me that they used to let people bring their own chair covers until one couple did that, but didnt bring enough so there were chairs with covers and chairs with out, making the room look very poorly put together. They were upset because of how that reflected on them, so from that point on people weren't allowed to bring there own. So remember, the reception places have reps. that they need to uphold as well.

DeniseRose Posts : 40 Registered: 5/10/11
Posted: May 17, 2011 11:54 PM Go to message in response to: Choukag

At my brother's wedding there were not enough seats for the meal which caused all kinds of trouble and was the #1 topic after the wedding instead of stuff like how happy the couple looked.

If there is a meal, you need a place for everone to sit down at a table to eat at the same time.

One case where I think you can get away with fewer chairs is if you are not serving a meal such as a cake and punch reception or a cocktails only reception.

Sometimes after a meal, some of the tables are removed to make room for dancing. This may encourage people to move around the room more and do a little more mingling.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Aunt Posts : 794 Registered: 12/31/10
Posted: May 18, 2011 12:20 AM Go to message in response to: Choukag

Dear Chou,

"Someone told him that this is the newest trend and so far he is not budging. "

That person is an idiot.

What does he expect people not lucky enough to snag a seat to do? Eat in their car? Walk around with a plate in one hand, drink in the other, napkins and silverware in their pocket?

Next question: Who is paying for (ie hosting) the wedding?

If you are the hosts, then you have every right to veto this scheme which will make your guests very uncomfortable.

If they are the hosts, then express your misgivings, privately, to your daughter, then keep it zipped up to and including W-Day.

Every day of every week people throw parties that are flops. This one won't be the first. If you are not the host, it is not your problem.

wzq103 Posts : 1,190 Registered: 9/11/12
Posted: Sep 20, 2012 4:08 PM Go to message in response to: Choukag

Sweetheart Neckline Strapless Cathedral Train Taffeta Wedding Dress Style Monalisa Royale
Save up to 32% off on New Trend Wedding Dress,the price is just $258.95, It's the cheapest,bug gorgeous dress.

http://www.juliebridalshop.com/sweetheart-neckline-strapless-cathedral-train-taffeta-wedding-dress-style-monalisa-royale-p-33708.html

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine