is my dress too plain?? second guessing...

Online Users: 1,260 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 13

UKbride Posts : 29 Registered: 1/7/11
is my dress too plain?? second guessing...
Posted: Feb 16, 2011 9:15 PM

Hi girls,

Tried on Alice by Pronovias (Spring 2011), loved it, and bought it within a week. Now I'm second-guessing myself and am wondering if it's too plain.

Here's a link to the dress: http://www.pronovias.com/wedding-gown/alice2011.html

Honest opinions? Should I look for another dress? I'm having a black and white wedding in England, am 6'0 and weigh 140 lbs, and am looking for something that will look supremely elegant... Thoughts?

Edited by: UKbride on Feb 16, 2011 9:18 PM

WellWisher Posts : 175 Registered: 1/2/10
Re: is my dress too plain?? second guessing...
Posted: Feb 16, 2011 9:36 PM Go to message in response to: UKbride

Let me put it this way... MY fiance is on the phone, saw it, didn't know anything about what you were looking for, and gave me a HUGE thumbs up. The dress is absolutely gorgeous. Usually I would tell a bride that it's easy to dress up a gown with a belt, blah blah blah, but your gown's simplicity makes it so striking. Think Audrey Hepburn: She didn't need accessories. She make a statement all by herself. The gown is beautiful and I wouldn't have you change a thing. Think streamlined, formal, modern, simplicity. I'm sure it looks amazing on you.

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Feb 16, 2011 10:00 PM Go to message in response to: UKbride

Honestly, I think it's gorgeous. I'm a less is more person though - but I think it's incredibly elegant.

Aunt Posts : 794 Registered: 12/31/10
Posted: Feb 16, 2011 10:01 PM Go to message in response to: UKbride

dear UKB,

Years ago, back in the 1970s, I read a book called "Dressed for Success". The author of the book had done research on what is perceived to be the most effective business clothing by business people. He prepared hundreds of "twin" photos, which means the same person was dressed differently in two photos.

Then, he showed those "twin" photos to people and said "Which would you hire? Which is the most successful? Which would be a better sales person?" The researcher collected the results and published books for both women and men.

This is one of the reasons you see red "power neckties" on politicians. People see red as a powerful color, and tend to think of that "twin" as more successful.

What does that have to do you with your wedding dress? The researchers also analyzed (just for fun, as they said) what kind of women's lingerie was most attractive to men. The answer surprised everyone: They got their highest reactions when the male research subject observed a CHANGE in lingerie. In other words, after a sequence of models in one color of lingerie, they got a strong reaction when a model was shown in some other color.

This applies to wedding dresses, too. In my opinion, people say "Wow" when they see a dress that is a real change of pace from the previous weddings they have attended over the past few years. I had that very reaction ("Wow") when I was at a wedding for a relative of my niece's husband. The bride wore a halter-style sailor type collar, and looked absoultely smashing. I have never seen a dress like that, not before nor since. The dress had clean lines, like yours, but not as sweeping. The amazing detail was a bare back with a large square sailor-style color hanging from the back of the neck. This particular bride was a black woman, with very dark skin, so the snow-white collar over the black skin of her back was riveting.

You are wondering if your dress is too plain. I say, in contrast, it is just right. What we see now at weddings are a long line of embellished strapless ballgowns. The dress in your link is not an embellished strapless ballgown. You will, immediately, stand out in the bridal crowd.

You are tall (oh how I envy you), so a dramatic, sweeping dress will look good on you. The model is shown in a smaller photo with a dramatic veil, which would look great with this dress. You might also consider some heavy-duty jewelry, again, which would pop out against a minimal-fussy dress like yours. It has clean lines and a beautiful sweep.

I really like the dress and said "Wow" to myself when I clicked on the link.

Posted: Feb 16, 2011 10:22 PM Go to message in response to: UKbride

Ahh, the anxiety is beginning to melt away--thanks so much for the encouragement! Any ideas for how I should do my hair? Not much of a veil girl...

Also, what do you guys think about gloves? Cheesy? I don't want to be tacky, but I have been in love with gloves ever since I saw Eliza Dolittle's embassy ball getup in "My Fair Lady" at age 6. We're having a formal evening reception (chandeliers, plated dinner, live jazz band) in the restaurant of a swanky old Victorian hotel, so I'm thinking gloves wouldn't be so bad, particularly if I pick up on the "vintage glam" vibe. Thoughts?

Edited by: UKbride on Feb 16, 2011 10:58 PM

Edited by: UKbride on Feb 16, 2011 11:10 PM

Posted: Feb 17, 2011 12:21 AM Go to message in response to: UKbride

Dear UKB,

I think long elbow length gloves would look fabulous with that dress. You have the right idea with "vintage glam".

Wonderful idea. Go for it.

You might see if you can find some magazines from the 30s and check them out for ideas.

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Feb 17, 2011 8:07 AM Go to message in response to: UKbride

It's gorgeous. You're thinking it is plain just because it is not sparkly... but it's not plain. It's elegant.

You can wear a statement accessory with that... be it a big bold hair pin in an upsweep hairdo, or a dramatic necklace or bracelet.

And because there are no sparkles to compete with YOU can decide the color scheme (ie: my sparkles had a silver undertone. I could not have worn yellow gold. Would not want to but my dress took that option away)

Now... here's the big piece of advice: STOP LOOKING AT WEDDING DRESSES :) (That's how brides get into trouble and end up with two or more dresses :) )

Misty

Posted: Feb 17, 2011 10:24 AM Go to message in response to: UKbride

dear UKB,

Something else just occured to me. Back in the 1950s and 60s, when long gloves on brides were in style, there was the eternal question of what to do about the ring finger.

If the bride wore short, wrist-length gloves, she would just slip the left glove off, put on the wedding ring, then slip the glove back on.

Taking off and putting on long gloves takes longer. Thus, the standard advice was to undo the stitching on the left ring finger, so that finger could be freed and the wedding ring could be put on during the ceremony.

What some did was actually free the left ring finger ahead of time, then "hide" the bare finger in the bride's bouquet as she walked down the aisle.

If you look at vintage long white gloves, perhaps in secondhand stores, have a close look at the left glove to see if that stitching has been previously undone and maybe restitched.

When I was a little girl, in those days, it was expected that all women wear white gloves to church. I hated it, but my mother insisted because it was "proper". I would rip those stupid gloves off the second we left the church sanctuary. After all, what else would I do with that little-girl purse I was also forced to carry?

PatricksLove Posts : 26 Registered: 3/6/08
Posted: Feb 17, 2011 9:13 PM Go to message in response to: UKbride

OMG! I agree with all of the PPs, please do not second guess that amazing dress! I, too, am a less is more kinda girl and that dress is actually everything I was looking for! I think it will fit your more formal theme perfectly without feeling like the dress is taking away from your beauty.

:)

Patrick and Meagan <3 March 4, 2012

schol006 Posts : 1 Registered: 12/21/10
Posted: Mar 2, 2011 1:28 PM Go to message in response to: UKbride

It's amazingly simple and beautiful and classic. If you wanted to add more for the reception, you could always add a belt like these ones --

http://www.onewed.com/blog/savvy-scoop/category/bridal-accessories/2010/11/02/add-sparkle-your-wedding-dress-chic-bridal-belt/

I always say less is more.

I think you have a winner of a dress.

ArcheryGirl Posts : 22 Registered: 4/15/10
Posted: Mar 2, 2011 6:43 PM Go to message in response to: UKbride

I think that dress is exactly what you want which is why you bought it right away. (I did the same with mine. Bought it the day I first tried it on.)

As for gloves, yes, I think they would be very elegant and retro. Definitely go elbow-length! To match, I would put your hair in an updo (a soft twist or bun?) and secure with a flower (preferrably embellished with rhinestones and pearls). In Victorian times everyone wore something on their heads, decorated as elaborately as possible. Maybe you can find a hair clip with a flower and feathers?

Posted: Mar 3, 2011 7:26 PM Go to message in response to: ArcheryGirl

Thanks so much, girls! I feel much better now. Was surfing around on the net and found this amazing hair piece that I think will "dress up" the dress (though I'm not sure I want to look quite so flapper...):

http://store.johannajohnson.com/product/harlow

By the way, does anyone have gold chargers for sale? I'm needing about 120 of them...

Here's the reception venue:http://royalbathhotel.wordpress.com/2010/10/11/see-the-latest-photos-of-the-royal-baths-conference-facilities/conference-facilities_003/

And here's my decor concept: http://blog.ocsfinestweddings.com/?cat=109

Excited about those massive baby's breath topiaries, and my florist gave me a great deal on them! The room is quite small, so I'm thinking of using long banquet tables. Any floor plan arrangement ideas?

achilipepper Posts : 6 Registered: 3/7/11
Posted: Mar 7, 2011 3:56 AM Go to message in response to: UKbride

i think gloves are lovely just dont be classless and eat with them on. lol imagine trying to butter a roll? yeah bad image.

achilipepper Posts : 6 Registered: 3/7/11
Posted: Mar 7, 2011 3:56 AM Go to message in response to: UKbride

i think gloves are lovely just dont be classless and eat with them on. lol imagine trying to butter a roll? yeah bad image.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine