Gratuity

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 4

shilo2012 Posts : 14 Registered: 1/11/11
Gratuity
Posted: Jan 14, 2011 8:14 AM

Hi ladies!
I was wondering how much you tipped your service providers. Including the person who married you. And does service charge equal gratuity? The venue adds an 18% service charge so I was wondering if its the same thing for that.
Thanks!!

Wedding Tickers

Aunt Posts : 794 Registered: 12/31/10
Re: Gratuity
Posted: Jan 14, 2011 10:57 AM Go to message in response to: shilo2012

Dear Shilo,

15-18% is the usual accepted gratuity. A "service charge" on the bill is the gratuity. They are adding it in so you see it on the bottom line before you sign the contract, just so you won't "forget" about it at the time.

The officiant has their standard fee, so just pay that. This follows the general rule that you don't tip the owner of the business. The business owner gets the profit from the goods or services, so there's no need to tip.

An officiant is, essentially, a business owner. On the other hand, if you want to pay the person more than their stated fee just because you are so happy with their service, then do so. A classy way to do it is to say "Rev Smith, here is our fee payment. We included some extra money so you can do something nice for your lovely wife / wonderful kids / donate it to a deserving ministry at your church."

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Jan 14, 2011 11:02 AM Go to message in response to: Aunt

The venue charges the service charge/gratuity and the people working don't usually see it (I cater a lot). BUT that does not mean you have to tip the people working - they are usually paid more than minimum wage to work an event (unlike servers at a restaurant). If you only have 2 servers - that's up to you.

I just don't want you to think that the people working at getting that gratuity, because they aren't in all likelihood.

I did give a gift to our coordinator who worked for the hotel.

I did NOT tip the bartenders - they made tips during the wedding - and I didn't mind them putting out jars.

My DJ asked for a testemonial/recommendation as did my photographer.

So that's what we did.

shilo2012 Posts : 14 Registered: 1/11/11
Posted: Jan 14, 2011 6:51 PM Go to message in response to: shilo2012

Thank you ladies!! This is so confusing and I want to make sure to include things like tips in the budget so Im not shocked OR out of money on my wedding day!!!

Wedding Tickers

swichwang34 Posts : 657 Registered: 9/13/12
Posted: Sep 13, 2012 9:45 AM Go to message in response to: shilo2012

Pronovias Wedding Dress Starting form 229.95USD
Click Here: http://www.jenniferbridal.com/designer-bridal-collections-pronovias-c-420_473.html

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine