Evites...

Online Users: 1,247 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 10

bunnyboo Posts : 1 Registered: 12/17/10
Evites...
Posted: Dec 22, 2010 12:51 AM

Ok I have looked into this topic, but just want to get a damn vote!
My Fiance really thinks it is ok to just send out E-vites for our wedding. Yes, we want a low key ceremony and reception, no it won't be a big wedding but still E vites?! I know these are catching on and people are all the train for 'green weddings' but this seems a bit tacky no?
I think my compromise to him will be to send out E vites for the save the date THEN send out actual invites.
Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Re: Evites...
Posted: Dec 22, 2010 6:57 AM Go to message in response to: bunnyboo

I think that actual invitations are better for a wedding that arrive through snail mail. That's my personal opinion.

I think the compromise of STDs by eVite (not that you HAVE to do STDs either) and then invites by regular mail is a good one.

If being green is a concern - there are many options for that with regular invites. Do not have an RSVP card to be mailed back (cuts down on $ and paper) - Give your guests a phone number and/or email address to RSVP to (I like both because not everyone is tech savvy but also some people prefer to email).

Also, there are trifold or prefolded invites that the RSVP card is a tear off postcard - that also helps with postage and keeps the use of paper down.

Obviously there are also plenty of recycled options out there as well.

I understand being relaxed, but I still think that a wedding is more than a holiday party or a kegger - I've done eVites for showers and gotten them for bachelorette parties - that's fine in my opinion (but when I sent them I also knew that everyone getting an invite was OK with email) - I just think that a wedding has more weight than those events and as such you want to give it it's due.

Good luck!

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Dec 22, 2010 7:05 AM Go to message in response to: bunnyboo

Dear BB,

That's not a bad compromise.

I actually find save-the-dates (STDs) to be unnecessary. People on your must-invite list (Grandma) already know the date and have it circled in red on their calendar.

Anyone who does not already know the date and know they will be invited is on the maybe-invite list.

STDs utterly lock you into a fixed guest list way ahead of time. I think it better to hold off on locking down the guest list at the time the actual invitations go out. That's why I suggest that brides reconsider STDs. They are, in my opinion, more trouble than they are worth.

The problem with Evites is that inevitably you have folks on your guest list who are not computer-friendly (Grandma). You would have to come up with some kind of paper mailed invitation for them. Thus, if you have to come up with a paper mailed invitation for a few people, and invitations are sold in bundles of 100, then you'll end up with a whole bunch of unused paper invitations.

This is why I like your compromise. Send Evites to a select few must-invites who are also comfortable with the computer. Must-invites who do not have email get a personal phone call or handwritten note in the snail mail.

Then, as you finesse your guest list, adjusting the maybe-invite numbers, you can get paper invitations ready to mail.

Does it sound like I'm picking on Grandma? Many Grandmas are totally conversant with computers and email. My own 84-yo mother-in-law is not. The only way to reach her is by phone or snail mail. She only got a cell phone two months ago, and that was after her land line got fouled up with buckets of rain.

Jaymee Posts : 143 Registered: 10/6/10
Posted: Dec 22, 2010 9:41 AM Go to message in response to: bunnyboo

I would be fine with receiving either a paper invitation or an Evite as a guest. I know that many people do not save invitations but I do. I keep them in my photo albums/scrapbooks. The only reason that I'm doing a paper invitation for my wedding is just to keep it as a keepsake and a few family members will do the same.

I am not a big fan of save-the-dates but I will send out a few very simple ones just to immediate family members. Again it's just along the idea of a "keepsake."

You can skip the save-the-dates and compromise on the invitations. You could buy a very small package of invitations and just make a few to mail to your parents, your future in-laws, grandma, etc. Then send out Evites to your friends.

Daisypath Wedding tickers

WeddingInvitati... Posts : 22 Registered: 8/23/10
Posted: Dec 22, 2010 12:41 PM Go to message in response to: bunnyboo

BunnyBoo,
I actually design and create wedding invitations on the side after my 40 hour a week job. I used to work in a stationary wedding boutique so I totally see your dilemma. Paper invitations can be very costly and there are many, many options. However, part of the enjoyment of planning the wedding is picking out what your invitations look like. After all, whatever you send to inform you're guests that they're invited to your wedding will be the first thing the guest sees about your wedding - it sets the mood. It tells the guest what kind of an event to expect. The compromise of sending an ESTD is a good one. As a couple you need to decide where you want to spend your money and some pple have a hard time justifying spending the money on paper. I personally think sending an evite to the wedding is not a good idea, I think it is kind of tacky and there are so many other inexpensive ways to get something out to your guests. First off, some people aren't computer saavy, second it kind of gives the "i didn't put much thought into this" vibe, and third gives people the impression that it's a casual event where they can wear jeans. Overall it's a personal opinion but my vote is no to the evite for the invitation, yes to the STD (if you even send one).

If you are looking for inexpensive invitations, you can go to Michael's and get imprintables, they're really pretty and affordable.

twigsandlace Posts : 6 Registered: 1/21/11
Posted: Jan 21, 2011 4:21 PM Go to message in response to: bunnyboo

I think doing an E-vite is perfectly fine, if it suits you!
A friend of mine got married last August and she did everything online right from invites to RSVP`s. Her invites were very well done and totally represented them. She uploaded their engagement pics and created a small slideshow of them, then their wedding info came up. You had the option to RSVP right then or you could keep the e-mail and come back later. She used, www.myinvitationlink.com

I also agree with some of the suggestions already given on here. If you're not wanting to do it all online.
Providing a phone number, an RSVP e-mail or even a wedding website that offers the RSVP option is great.
My fiance and I are doing our RSVP`s through a wedding website. It cuts down on cost, allows you to give as much information about your wedding as you want and it calculates guests for you.

Posted: Jan 21, 2011 4:39 PM Go to message in response to: twigsandlace

Twigs - Just make sure that all your guests are online savvy. My Mom is barely online literate. LOL And I know some of my family isn't online while a lot are.

That would be my only suggestion. :-)

twigsandlace Posts : 6 Registered: 1/21/11
Posted: Jan 22, 2011 3:58 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

98% of our guests will RSVP online, for those that aren't a phone number is provided.

Posted: Jan 22, 2011 5:28 PM Go to message in response to: twigsandlace

Perfect! LOL I just know that sometimes people forget that not everyone is online savvy. :-)

overwhelmedgirl Posts : 4 Registered: 10/30/10
Posted: Jan 24, 2011 1:40 PM Go to message in response to: bunnyboo

We had the same conversation, and finally agreed (sort of) to send out an invite, but have all RSVP's, details, and etc. done online.
I think most people now have access to e-mail or internet, and those that don't probably know someone who does. i.e. Great Uncle Harry will call Sally or my mom anyway.

jackson132 Posts : 1,623 Registered: 9/13/12
Posted: Dec 24, 2012 4:08 PM Go to message in response to: bunnyboo

Wedding dresses from famous wedding designers are promoting now.
http://www.okaydress.com/wedding-dress-designers-c-65.html
Mori Lee Wedding Dress Style 6727 is just $319.99.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine