Food Stations (warning: long post)

Online Users: 1,273 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 28

BrighterThanSun... Posts : 853 Registered: 10/17/08
Re: Food Stations (warning: long post)
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 7:42 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

Ok so I did some numbers allowing for everybody to eat from every station. I didn't realize that the portions were smaller and in my head I was just like "why should I pay for 3 entrees for everybody?"

So with having these stations:

Pad Thai chef station
Hip of Alberta Beef carving station
Build a baked potato station
Salad Station

as well as having h'or douerves

it would be $45.75PP

which is significantly cheaper than the $65 plated dinner (and that was the cheapest option--a vegetarian and a chicken were $65)

Does that sound like enough food?
They recommend at least 3 stations--and this is 4 stations--but maybe with the potato and the salad seeming more like a 'compliment', it wouldn't be sufficient? The potato bar sounds pretty substantial though--pestos, salsa, cheese, sour cream, green onions and bacon as possible toppings...

I have a decent appetite--eating a couple of h'or douerves, some pad thai and some cake later would even be way moer than enough for me--I probably would want to try a baked potato w/ sundried tomato pesto though. Anyways, there are guests that eat less than me but also guests who eat more than me...
I never want my guests to feel like they are hungry and that I am not providing enough for them. I want people to be excited by the food--not upset by the menu lacking.

AmyJustin2010 Posts : 201 Registered: 1/18/10
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 10:32 PM Go to message in response to: BrighterThanSun...

To me, that sounds like more than enough.

You're offering two options for "main dishes" (beef and thai) and you're offering a hearty side (baked potato) and a salad. If you think about it, this is no less than most people offer that are having a plated dinner.

Including appetizers and wedding cake, everyone should be full by the end of this, especially since I assume the stations are all you can eat.

Personally, I LOVE the idea of stations. It's also a good way to get around most, if not all, dietary restrictions. If someone can't have/doesn't want one thing, they can have double of the other station, which isn't usually an option with a plated dinner.

So I say go for it. It sounds delicious. I reallllly want a baked potato now.

ETA: with the potato and salad bar, tell them not to put the bacon in the back. I hate it when the front veggies are tainted with chunks of meat. Yeah, I'm vegetarian and super strict about it. You don't have to, but it's just another suggestion/thought.

AmyJustin2010.Weebly.Com

Amy & Justin--Buffalo Sabres Fanatics :) 

Posted: Mar 1, 2010 11:57 AM Go to message in response to: AmyJustin2010

I'm a veggie too Amy, so no worries there! I would not be happy if there was bacon mixed in with the sundried tomato pesto at the potato bar! And neither would the other veggies.

Still a little concerned about food amounts--hoping to get some more responses!

FutureMrsBentley Posts : 14 Registered: 8/31/09
Posted: Mar 1, 2010 9:15 PM Go to message in response to: BrighterThanSun...

Hi Brighter,

That combination and number of stations seems just fine. I would count
on most people trying 3 stations each, with a few having 1,2,or 4. I would probably skip the
baked potato but have some of everything else, FH would try it all.

I agree with the coordinators assessment and would order Beef and Pasta (Pad Thai) for all but with reduced orders of potato and salad.

Enjoy!

WoostaBride Posts : 220 Registered: 6/8/09
Posted: Mar 2, 2010 2:17 AM Go to message in response to: BrighterThanSun...

We're doing a kind of combo station/lobster bake meal for our wedding. We will be having the soup and salad courses plated, and the rest guests will get up for. We're having a filet mignon slicing station with several sauces/spreads and housemade rolls, lobsters, baby back ribs, roasted potatoes, some kind of pasta station, steamers and mussels, corn on the cob and peach cobbler for dessert (cake as well). Everything is all you can eat. Our cocktail hour will feature 10 different passed appetizers, along with a mediterranean station.....We are having pizzas, burgers, fries and whatever else I come up with at the after party as well.
So I may not be the best person to get advice from about how much food is enough, but I'm a huge foodie and it was one of the more important elements to me. I wanted the food to be a sort of experience, and I think that having stations helps. Although the menu you're looking at is a tiny bit on the light side in my opinion, I think you're guests will be sufficiently fed. The only thing that I would worry about is the 3 apps at the cocktail hour. Do you mean 3 pieces per person, or 3 separate things being served. Either way it seems like a rather small amount to eat over the course of an hour. I could eat 3 apps. in 2 minutes! Also, if there are only 3 types of things being served that means your guests run the risk of looking like pigs if they keep flaggin down the same server to grab another bite.
The bottom line is, you do what you can afford to do, and even if it's not perfect close enough is good enough....

Posted: Mar 2, 2010 8:19 PM Go to message in response to: WoostaBride

I am actually refering to 3 different h'or douerves and each guest getting one each. But, the event manager actually suggested this amount.

I have a feeling that they are heartier and a bit more filling.

Some examples are:

Herb goat cheese stuffed crepe purses
Lobster stuffed crepe purses
French bread topped with smoked salmon, apple fennel and horseradish cream
Portabello mushrooms caps stuffed with spinach and cheese
Crab meat croquettes
Grilled vegetarian pizza wedges

At first I was concerned because I don't know the size of the crepe purse--or the size of the pizza wedge--but this is what the venue reccomended. And we all know that venues tend to be money grabbers, if they weren't sufficient in size I feel like they would recommend more.

By the way--those are the ones that appeal to us the most--I am a pescatarian and we have vegetarian guests.

The smoked salmon one is a guarantee and then we will probably pick 2 other vegetarian ones so that the vegetarians can eat mostly everything.

myras Posts : 396 Registered: 2/26/10
Posted: Mar 2, 2010 8:36 PM Go to message in response to: BrighterThanSun...

Are these passed tidbits, during a cocktail hour? If so, I never have heard of each guest getting one piece of each. That means (logically), that if anyone has more than one piece of anything, someone else won't get any. If these are bite sized, then the usual is four or so per person (depending on how many types you serve). If they're much larger, then how will cocktail guests (who usually are standing and schmoozing) be able to handle them without plates, forks, etc.?
myra@classysassyweddings.com

Posted: Mar 2, 2010 8:56 PM Go to message in response to: myras

Sorry, I meant there will be 3 different h'or douerves and there will be 1 of each type per person. So there will be 3 h'or douerves per person.

So each person could hypothetically have:

1 slice of French bread topped with smoked salmon with apple fennel and horseradish creme
1 herb goat cheese stuffed crepe purse
1 Portobello mushroom cap stuffed with spinach and cheese.

I'm sure some people won't like 1 of them--vegetarians won't eat the smoked salmon, the children won't necessarily love goat cheese and not everybody loves mushrooms--but then I'm sure that some will want two of another--in the end I think it would all even out.

I also not a lot of people watching their figures and their diets and would choose to pass on the passed h'or douerves and save their appetite for the meal.

Posted: Mar 3, 2010 12:16 AM Go to message in response to: BrighterThanSun...

So you're saying that each person will get 3 single appetizers during cocktail hour.....
I'm sorry, but that sounds crazy to me. So that means that if these are passed appetizers then the waitstaff has to know how many each person has had in order to make sure that everyone gets their 3? Or...you have to let people know ahead of time that they may only eat 3 things? I've just never ever heard of that. Like I said before, I may be going over the top a bit, but we are having 10 passed items and figuring in at least 1 of each of those items per guest. I just know from experience that during a cocktail hour I can easily accept at least 5-8 tidbits of food over that course of time...people are usually STARVING by this point, and will take anything that a waiter walk by with. ...especially if they are dainty little things (which most are). I'm just surprised they are suggesting this to you....

Posted: Mar 3, 2010 3:17 PM Go to message in response to: WoostaBride

They obviously mean that enough will be made for 3 h'or douerves per person. So while some people may opt for 4 or 5--I know lots of people who tend to pass on h'or douerves or only have 1 or 2.

If they run out--I will ask for something to be prepared. I will ask for them to have a 'back up plan' in case that happens.

I worked at a wedding once where the bridal party was getting photos done just about 100 meters from where the outdoor cocktail reception occured. None of the servers went up to the bridal party--in fear that they were interupting. Well all the h'or douerves got eaten and the bridal party was left with nothing. The kitchen quickly fired up some less glamorous h'or douerves--curly fries, mozarella sticks, onion rings, etc. The bridal party loved it--they just wanted food. I would ask if the kitchen would be able to prepare something in case of such a situation--where people hadn't gotten to touch food at the cocktail order.

I am assuming that these are fairly hearty h'or douerves. So while maybe I would want to eat 5 mini bite sized canapes--I wouldn't eat that many pieces of french bread topped with smoked salmon, fennel and horseradish. Especially considering a full meal is approaching--I wouldn't want to fill up on h'or douerves. Also--cocktail hour isn't an all-you-can-eat buffet. I don't want people to be hungry, but I also don't want to fill people up--I will have a full meal and dessert following!

I will make a judgement call at the tasting. I will ask to be provided with some of the h'or douerves. If they seem small and that 3 won't be sufficient--I will ask for more to be made and to add the price to my bill--but if it seems sufficient in mine and FH's eyes--we will go along with the 3 h'or douerves that they recommend.

FutureMrsBentley Posts : 14 Registered: 8/31/09
Posted: Mar 3, 2010 4:25 PM Go to message in response to: BrighterThanSun...

I believe 3 - 4 pieces is standard for many wedding packages, all the venues we looked at in Toronto either included or suggested 3 pieces per person. I personally don't often have more than three in the 30 minutes I actually might have after arriving, sheding my coat, signing the guest book, finding my seat, getting a drink and saying hi to a few people.

If you have the budget, like h'ors douerves then order a few more pieces, but since you it appears you are concerned about the total cost, 3 should be enough.

Posted: Mar 3, 2010 4:42 PM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsBentley

what is your venue?

the one I am looking at is in Toronto.

Posted: Mar 3, 2010 5:32 PM Go to message in response to: BrighterThanSun...

I'm sure that it will work out for you....
I've just never heard of that amount. Maybe the venues that I'm used to are different. I understand that it's not an all you can eat buffet, but 3 bites in an hour just seems quite small to me....

Posted: Mar 3, 2010 8:17 PM Go to message in response to: WoostaBride

I think the thing is that it's not 3 bites. I think each h'or douerve is a number of bites--that will take multiple chews, ha.

Of course if I get there and they are like little amuse bouches--I will ask to have more than 3.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine