PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Re: Scared about picking a ring..
Posted: Dec 28, 2009 12:51 AM Go to message in response to: Leli

I'm with Leli - how about www.bravobride.com . or www.getonwithourlife.com

Go

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Dec 28, 2009 2:48 PM Go to message in response to: katethejunebride

I'm with Katethejunebride on this one--sell one or two of those watches. I know you won't get retail price--but you never do in a resale. Then do some really careful shopping. Never pay retail for diamonds. The markup is tremendous. Since you're an LA boy, you know about the jewelry district (or in NY, Chicago, etc.), where you can get fine jewelry at significantly lower prices. Make sure that your diamond is certified as to quality. Getting married is a process of give and take--you're giving up a couple of watches so your beloved can have a ring.

That being said, getting engaged and getting married have nothing to do with rings. If you want to be married, you will get married. A ring can come later. Some women prefer just a lovely wedding band, rather than an expensive engagement ring. A ring is just jewelry, after all. It's not what marriage is all about.
myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

HamzicBride Posts : 178 Registered: 12/28/09
Posted: Dec 29, 2009 11:46 AM Go to message in response to: tinfoilxtouch

You know, the cost of the ring doesn't mean anything. Its what she choose and she feels absolutely happy wearing the rest of her life :)

The ring I chose, is only a few hundred and I am in absolute love with it. When I went looking, I didn't even ask for the price until I was done looking. The advice given so far is a good one. Selling the watches might be a good idea.

From my perspective(being a female), I would never, ever alter my engagement ring. The ring I get, will be the ring I keep. The only thing that will change is adding a wedding band to it thats it. It might be what she prefers. Always remember that the feelings and the emotions associated with the ring you choose is the most important thing, not the Carat value.

Cheers :)

This is the ring I want. It is priced at less than a $1,000

Edited by: HamzicBride on Dec 29, 2009 11:47 AM

DianaPlansWedding Posts : 12 Registered: 1/3/10
Posted: Jan 4, 2010 8:39 AM Go to message in response to: HamzicBride

Also something that hasn't been mentioned yet, is a lot of girls (I know about 8, off-hand, including myself) who don't like the look of a huge stone pile that sticks off your had a half inch or more. It's awkward to do common things with on, and it looks kind of funny from the side. That was my only condition on finding my ring. I run my hands through my hair a lot and don't want it catching and yanking. Or scratching my kids. That sort of practicality, lol!

George and Diana

Something I forgot to add-
If she has dainty fingers, larger stones (IMO) look ridiculous on little hands. It looks to me almost like dress up with your mother's jewelry. All of my married friends, of differing financial statuses, have rings appropriate to the size of their hands.

Edited by: DianaPlansWedding on Jan 4, 2010 8:40 AM

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Jan 4, 2010 8:48 AM Go to message in response to: DianaPlansWedding

Yeah... I know a lot of times, the sales folks will say "and just look at this profile!" like the thing is awesome! And I'm thinking "Good lord, the number of things I'd snag that on!" Mine sits higher than usual, but it works for me. But I couldn't cope with a higher one!

Misty

Posted: Jan 4, 2010 8:53 AM Go to message in response to: CatStandish

Seriously! And I mean, how fat a wedding band am I going to need to balance that, you know? Ikes!

George and Diana

Elle1036 Posts : 3 Registered: 1/3/10
Posted: Jan 4, 2010 1:52 PM Go to message in response to: tinfoilxtouch

This is my suggestion:

Overstock.com sells sample Tacori settings (and Tacori rings are beautiful!) with cubic zirconia center stones. Buy one with the promise to upgrade the center stone as soon as you can. You'll already have a high quality ring with genuine sidestones if you pick one like that.

Good luck!

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Jan 4, 2010 3:58 PM Go to message in response to: tinfoilxtouch

Reading your post, I was asking the same question a few PPs have asked: why don't you sell the two 2K watches (or at least one of them) and use that money towards the ring? Yes, you wouldn't get the whole retail value, but so what? Even if you get 50% of what you paid for it, that's still a thousand dollars to add to your ring budget. Seems like a no-brainer to me, unless the watches have some sentimental value.

Regardless of whether or not you do that, I'm sure she'll love whatever you get her. I think you're stressing too much about the price of the ring. I don't know any women in real life who cared about the price of their rings, but I know many men who, like you, stressed about the price of the ring or size of the diamond, thinking that she deserves better. I'm sure she does, but she WANTS you and this is what you can afford. Spend what you can on the most beautiful ring you can afford and don't worry about it. Chances are, you'll spend far more than she'd ever suggest you spend on an engagement ring. (My husband stressed about the ring like you are, saying that it wasn't enough for me, etc, but when I eventually found out how much he had spent on it, I thought he was totally insane. I'd never spend half that much on a piece of jewelry, engagement ring or not!)

To the PPs who were complaining about the high settings on rings getting caught on things, I totally hear you! I've never liked wearing rings for that very reason, and until I got engaged, I had never managed to keep a ring for more than two years without it getting caught on something and the stone getting lost (and that was with rarely wearing them). I just do too much stuff with my hands, I guess. Anyway, I wore my engagement ring for the year that we were engaged, absolutely petrified that I'd hit it or snag it on something and lose a very expensive stone. Nothing happened to it, except that it probably got more scratched than a lot of women's rings. I don't think I've worn it more than a handful of times since we got married, though. One of the most exciting things to me about getting married was that I wouldn't have to wear it every day anymore. My wedding ring is much more durable, so the engagement ring only makes an appearance on special occasions.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

Posted: Jan 4, 2010 9:33 PM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

I don't know what this POOP stuff is about, but I think it's HILARIOUS.

George and Diana

allisonapp Posts : 10 Registered: 1/10/10
Posted: Jan 13, 2010 10:27 AM Go to message in response to: tinfoilxtouch

I agree with Katethejunebride.

The fact that you even mentioned your watches to us makes me wonder if you're considering, yourself, giving up a watch or two. You have multiple watches, but your fiance-to-be is not going to have multiple rings. Just the one. Especially if you're in a bind, it only makes sense to sell one to put towards her ring. You won't regret it.

Good luck and I hope you make the right decision!

Edited by: allisonapp on Jan 13, 2010 10:28 AM

Cortie24 Posts : 27 Registered: 1/7/08
Posted: Jan 13, 2010 11:32 AM Go to message in response to: allisonapp

I think a lot of people also underestimate Ebay. I have been looking for our wedding bands on there and a lot of reputable jewelers will sell rings from their stores on Ebay. You can get beautiful rings for far less than you would pay in a store and most have flexible return policies in the event you receive the ring and it isn't what you expected.

Good luck! Your future fiancee is lucky to have a thoughtful partner such as yourself!

"When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible." - Billy Crystal, When Harry met Sally

xamberlymx Posts : 2 Registered: 1/19/10
Posted: Jan 25, 2010 11:54 AM Go to message in response to: tinfoilxtouch

I would:

-Sell one of those watches on craigs or Ebay. The sacrifice is what makes that move special- not the fact that you'd be able to buy a nicer ring

-Buy a nice setting with a CZ center stone, with the intention of replacing it with a real stone when life is a little better. I just went ring shopping at Robbins Bro's and all of their settings are sold with CZ center stones, so that you can purchase your diamond seperately. This works perfectly since you know she doesn't want just a solitare. Get something gold or platinum so that later on, when you add the diamond, it will still be fitting of your "situation"

Posted: Jan 25, 2010 8:04 PM Go to message in response to: tinfoilxtouch

You know what, we just put my engagement ring away in a safe(because I am not yet engaged), but when we first started looking around, I was more concerned about our feelings and emotions towards a given ring. As it turned out, the ring is insanely expensive BUT the story that goes behind that ring is something I never want to forget, and thats what's important.

Posted: Feb 3, 2010 9:21 PM Go to message in response to: HamzicBride

You know, now re-reading this thread, I can now say I am eating my own words. My ring ended up being a few thousand. Something else was found and we went to the original ring we had found...bad me.
Regardless, go with what makes her happy. Thats the most important thing, and she sounds like someone with her head on her shoulders. You two sound like a great couple. Wish you all the best :)

imghttp://www.ezticker.com/ticker/497/191/20100406/Until+our+1st+Anniversairy/ticker.png[/img]

bosoxgirl Posts : 231 Registered: 2/3/10
Posted: Feb 3, 2010 11:35 PM Go to message in response to: tinfoilxtouch

I love the ring my FH got me. But if i had to do it all over again, I would have settled with a CZ engagement ring and had him put the left over money into savings. In this economy, fancy things like engagement rings are not a necessity ... Think about it!

Edited by: bosoxgirl609 on Feb 3, 2010 11:37 PM

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine