I'm Engaged!!!! have to share the good news =)

Online Users: 1,326 guest(s), 2 user(s). Replies: 11

FoundTrueLove Posts : 54 Registered: 8/18/09
I'm Engaged!!!! have to share the good news =)
Posted: Dec 18, 2009 11:50 PM

Hello all,

Well it finally happened. Last night we were watching my hockey team play on tv and i left the room for a minute. when i came back, he was down on one knee and he asked me. the hockey is significant because the reason i met him in the first place was because (at a halloween party) he was dressed as a hockey player. we're both huge hockey fans so i went over to talk to him and that's how it all started. i just can't believe i'm actually engaged. i keep staring at the ring in awe. it makes it even more special because this ring was his grandmother's engagement ring. i'll post pictures as soon as i can. this was everything i'd hoped for. we're both very quiet people so it was nice to have him ask me when it was just the two of us. both sets of parents are thrilled with our engagement and we're announcing to extended family soon.

ok now i have a few questions. can someone give me a list of do's and dont's with an engagement ring. i want to make sure i don't damage it. i've heard that you're not supposed to shower with it because the soap with discolor the diamond. is that true? any other tips?

so as for planning, we're considering a summer 2011 wedding. that gives me plenty of time to plan (im one of those types who has to/ loves to plan). i'll probably have questions along the way as well.

1stKiss4Him Posts : 32 Registered: 8/26/09
Re: I'm Engaged!!!! have to share the good news =)
Posted: Dec 19, 2009 12:31 AM Go to message in response to: FoundTrueLove

Congrats! I'm so happy for you!

Future Mrs. K

Part of a poem I wrote called Eternity

When separation deprivation sinks in
When the route to happiness is an eternity away
I dream of you and eternity is within my reach
Not knowing where you be next
Praying that God knows best
Whispering "I love you" to the sky
Hoping you’ll hear these words and know why
I'm part a part of you, always and for all time
Search your heart like I do when I'm away from you
My breath coincides with the rhythm of yours
So breathe and let my image fade within your heart
And for eternity where ever we go
We'll never be alone

NeotericExpress... Posts : 4 Registered: 10/3/09
Posted: Dec 19, 2009 1:27 AM Go to message in response to: FoundTrueLove

Congratulations! I'm so happy for you :)

Providing beautiful amazing invitations to the best people in the world. NeotericExpressions Invitations & Gifts

princessbride2010 Posts : 58 Registered: 10/20/08
Posted: Dec 19, 2009 8:24 AM Go to message in response to: FoundTrueLove

NightfallenRain Posts : 120 Registered: 7/23/07
Posted: Dec 19, 2009 1:10 PM Go to message in response to: FoundTrueLove

congratulations!

yes, it has been said that you should not shower or sleep with your ring on as the chemicals in soap can cloud the diamond over time and sleeping with it on can loosen the prongs over time as well. (unless you stay in the same spot while sleeping).

http://engagementrings.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Caring_for_Your_Engagement_Ring

• this article gives more tips on how to clean and care for your ring.

be blessed!

"The woman came from a man's rib.  Not from his feet to be walked on, not from his head to be superior, but from the side to be equal, under the arm to be protected, and next to the heart to be loved."

dickerson2be Posts : 19 Registered: 12/8/09
Posted: Dec 19, 2009 1:13 PM Go to message in response to: FoundTrueLove

Congrats! That is so exciting! My FH gave me his grandmother's ring also, so I do have a few pointers.

First off, I would reccommend insuring the ring for anyone, and especially since yours is a family heirloom. You can add it to your renters/homeowners insurance and it is usually less than $10 a month. Just talk to your insurance agent on how to get that done. It will probably involve an appraisal.

You will also want to take the ring to a jeweler who specializes in antique rings to tell you the specifics on it (what era it was from if you don't already know, the 3C's, etc) and have them inspect it to make sure it is pronged correctly. They can give you instructions such as showering with, etc. I don't think you should have any problem showering and doing daily activities with it, because if it is a real diamond it won't become cloudy, just dirty. Just be careful while doing cleaning and stuff, you don't want harsh chemicals to damage it (I made that mistake with another ring my FH gave me for my birthday one year....it was a Tiffany's ring and he just gave it to me a week before, I decided it would be a good idea to clean the bathroom with it on, then I saw that I took the finish off! YIKES! Luckily they were able to repair it without him even knowing!)

Good luck and congrats again!

Lindsey

The future Mrs. Dickerson

Posted: Dec 19, 2009 3:19 PM Go to message in response to: dickerson2be

thank you for all of the congratulations! they're very much appreciated =)

and thank you for the pointers on the ring. i'll take a look at that website. it looks like good information.

before i got the ring, my FH went to a jewelry store and had it inspected, resized, and restored so we should be okay there. although for any cleaning or restoring that will need to be done in the future i will definitely find a jewelry store that specializes in old rings.
Edited by: FoundTrueLove on Dec 19, 2009 3:20 PM

Edited by: FoundTrueLove on Dec 19, 2009 3:22 PM

CheetahAngel Posts : 2,017 Registered: 11/29/08
Posted: Dec 22, 2009 10:13 AM Go to message in response to: FoundTrueLove

CONGRATS!! I thought you were engaged already lmao!!

I take my ring off in the shower but most people don't, it's just something I do lol. I do however take it off when I do dishes or clean the house (like dust, clean the bathroom, and clean the litter box). I don't want my ring to get dirty or have dust and dirt stuck in the little grooves.

Post pics soon, I can't wait to see your ring :)

Daisypath Wedding tickers

Visit my wedding website http://www.mywedding.com/alanandjarlyn

Sign my guestbook!!! :)

Posted: Dec 22, 2009 9:16 PM Go to message in response to: CheetahAngel

apparenly i can't attach photos on this website so i'll have to make a photobucket account or something in order to show you the ring. i'll work on it though and hopefully have pictures of it up ASAP

Posted: Dec 26, 2009 1:19 PM Go to message in response to: FoundTrueLove

alright everyone. as promised, here's a picture of the ring. it was his grandmother's engagement ring, which just makes the ring that much more special to me

http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp251/RiddlesDarkAngel5/Photo10.jpg

InLoveWDRM Posts : 52 Registered: 12/3/09
Posted: Jan 4, 2010 9:34 PM Go to message in response to: FoundTrueLove

Congrats on the engagement.!
Its ok to share the good news I did lol. I was ready to tell everyone & to be honest I already had this account set up months before I even got the ring! I knew it was coming just not sure when lol. But your ring is so pretty and the fact that he was able to give you his grandmother's is so sweet and its gorgeous! Congratssss.!

Future Mrs. McMahan as of December 24,2009 !

Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ  I SAID YES =) Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ

jackson132 Posts : 1,623 Registered: 9/13/12
Posted: Dec 5, 2012 7:43 AM Go to message in response to: FoundTrueLove

Wedding dresses from famous wedding designers are promoting now.
http://www.okaydress.com/wedding-dress-designers-c-65.html
Mori Lee Wedding Dress Style 4973 is just $469.99.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine