Are you shy/don't like being the centre of attention?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 9

Beeble Posts : 306 Registered: 11/19/09
Are you shy/don't like being the centre of attention?
Posted: Dec 15, 2009 4:58 PM

Any others out there who are shy or get stage fright?

I honestly turn red any time a big deal is made about me or if I have to speak in front of a large group of people. I hope that when I do get engaged we don't have to make a big stink about it and have a party and big family gathering... that's what the wedding would be for and i have NO idea how I'm going to get through that when it does happen. I get all flustered if I have to speak in public so I don't wanna have to make any big speach but I'm pretty sure that's expected from the bride/groom. GULP!

ICEStandard Posts : 34 Registered: 12/10/09
Re: Are you shy/don't like being the centre of attention?
Posted: Dec 15, 2009 7:20 PM Go to message in response to: Beeble

Yes I am vey shy when it comes to speaking in front of a group or being the center of attention. When I got married I would have anxiety attacks just thinking about it. When I walked down the isle it was a whole different story. I looked straight ahead and focused on the alter and asked God to calm me. That really did help. The good thing about it is you are not facing the crowd. I know it's hard to say you will be fine, but you will. Once it is done you will realize it wasn't that bad. Good Luck and Congratulations!

www.icestandard.org

JerseyGirlVA Posts : 311 Registered: 9/17/09
Posted: Dec 16, 2009 11:19 AM Go to message in response to: Beeble

I am the same way! I'm super nervous about being a bride because everyone is going to make such a fuss over me.
I'm not sure if I want a big ceremony or reception because my BF & I are the quiet keep-to-ourselves type. We have so many family and friends that we would love to share our special day with but the thought of everyone watching our every move makes us very uncomfortable.
He wants a small wedding, less than 35 people, and I'm on board for that. But I'm very close with my family and can't imagine getting married without them all there! Maybe cutting out the garter, bouquet toss & first dance would take away the nervousness about the big day. Just mingle, drink, eat, dance & cut the cake... that'd work for me.

NJ4Life Posts : 3,358 Registered: 8/10/07
Posted: Dec 16, 2009 12:04 PM Go to message in response to: Beeble

I hate being the center of attention. I think the thing I was most nervous about the wedding was just that. People looking at me! So I just stared straight ahead and it was hard b/c the aisle was about 4 miles long! Then when you're up there, it's ALL good. I just focused on DH and tried not to think about everyone else.

Now my main concern is DH and I are trying to have a baby so I am obsessing with the whole "telling people" thing. This probably has me the MOST nervous when I think about the whole process. I hate people fawning over me!

New Jersey: We have dumps, bays and cement boots and we know how to use 'em

Posted: Dec 16, 2009 12:27 PM Go to message in response to: NJ4Life

Oh good! I'm not the only one! That makes me feel a little better. Luckily it will probably just be close family and a couple friends as we pretty much keep to ourselves. Not too big of a croud.

Ya the whole telling people thing about trying, or about being preggo would be a bit much for me too. Just wait till you are actually pregnant and even strangers start making a big deal over you and wanting to touch your belly.

JerseyGirlVA Posts : 311 Registered: 9/17/09
Posted: Dec 16, 2009 2:10 PM Go to message in response to: Beeble

Are you planning on skipping the traditional first dance, garter & bouquet toss? I can picture my mother & grandmother giving me a hard time about not participating in activities as such but I really don't want to go through that.

Posted: Dec 16, 2009 2:46 PM Go to message in response to: JerseyGirlVA

I think the only thing I'll put a no on is the clinking of glasses for a kiss. I think i'll get them to do something like sing a love song instead. Some of my friends had people get up and hula hoop, give relationship advice etc. I like this much better.

violinbride2be Posts : 5 Registered: 12/10/09
Posted: Dec 31, 2009 3:14 AM Go to message in response to: Beeble

I am the same way. My FH is super laid back, and he doesn't care for most wedding traditions. To take care of this, we have decided to have a Cocktail reception. We don't have to do any traditional wedding things if we don't want to, and the focus won't be entirely on me! It is the best compromise outside of eloping and having no celebration.
November 19, 1999October 31, 2009August 5, 2011

MegsandJ Posts : 23 Registered: 12/14/09
Posted: Jan 3, 2010 12:57 PM Go to message in response to: violinbride2be

Im the same way, and no, Im not doing the dances or tosses or any of that stuff, its just going to be a ceremony and some mingling :) Plus the ceremony is going to be about 30-45 minutes after the boat leaves the dock so Ill be mingling before the ceremony too...I just cant imagine missing that much time on our wedding boat because of superstitions or expectations.

jackson132 Posts : 1,623 Registered: 9/13/12
Posted: Sep 16, 2012 3:44 PM Go to message in response to: Beeble

San Patrick Wedding Dress Starting form 229.95USD
Click Here: http://www.bestbridalprices.us/designer-bridal-collections-san-patrick-c-420_454.html

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine