What do you want your ring to be like?

Online Users: 1,331 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 60

NoseInTheGrass Posts : 31 Registered: 11/1/09
What do you want your ring to be like?
Posted: Nov 5, 2009 4:32 PM

So, I'm waiting anxiously for my ring. We've talked so much about getting married and he's told me to pick a ring out, so I know it's coming soon. He told me to pick it out because I am VERY picky about what I want it to be like.

-I don't my ring to have a diamond. Even if jewelers say they have non-conflict diamonds, I still worry that it might be. I don't want to contribute tho that.

-If at all possible, I want it to made out of recycled metal. Mining causes SO many terrible things to happen to the earth and I'd rather not have new metal mined just for me! It's been very hard finding someone who uses recycled metal. I might have to settle for just a non-conflict stone. sigh

-I'm a metalsmith, so I know bad craftmanship if I see it. My ring has to be well made.

-I try to buy a lot of stuff from local sellers, or at least from handmade places. I like to stay away from big coroprations like Kay, Jared, etc.

All that said, I don't ming getting a ring that doesn't cost a lot. The ring I've found that I like the most is under $200. The maker lives in Chang Mai, Thailand, so not exactly local. She is a metalsmith though that makes everything handmade. She knows the people that cut the stones and where they come from, so I don't have to worry about that. Unfortunately, due to some of the laws there, they can't import recycled metals, so it would have to be new metal. I can get it made from sterling for the price there or from white gold for about $100 more. I'm leaving that up to my boy.

This is the ring I like, and yes, I'll probably get it made with the aquamarine that is shown.

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=30425655

• just copy and paste the link in your addtress bar. It's at etsy.com.

So, what's your ideal ring like? Have any picked out?
Sometimes I wake up with my nose in the grass.
Edited by: NoseInTheGrass on Nov 5, 2009 4:33 PM

Edited by: NoseInTheGrass on Nov 5, 2009 4:35 PM

JerseyGirlVA Posts : 311 Registered: 9/17/09
Re: What do you want your ring to be like?
Posted: Nov 5, 2009 7:02 PM Go to message in response to: NoseInTheGrass

Oh that's beautiful! Aquamarine is a gorgeous stone, it also happens to be boyfriend's birthstone. I am a kind of plain-jane kind of girl, I don't change up my jewelry everyday to match my outfit or obsessive things like that. I wear simple pearl studs & the same watch to work all week long. No change. So I picture my engagement ring being a solitaire diamond atop a setting with a thin band. Simple & clean looking.
Great thread topic by the way!

Mattel Posts : 3 Registered: 11/5/09
Posted: Nov 6, 2009 9:46 AM Go to message in response to: NoseInTheGrass

Well I have picked out my ring. Manfriend is not real great with jewelry and I am extremely picky. Actually, until I found this setting, I had a new 'the one' every couple days. I wanted something very feminine and different from what I was seeing over and over again. Below is the picture I just got from the jeweler of the setting with the band.We are purchasing the center stone locally.

Posted: Nov 7, 2009 5:49 PM Go to message in response to: JerseyGirlVA

JerserGirl> Yah, I wear reletively simple stuff too. I figure that very light blue stone in that setting can't really clash with much, but then again, I don't really care if it does. haha

mattel> That's a VERY pretty setting. If I wanted diamonds, I'd want it.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Nov 8, 2009 11:22 PM Go to message in response to: NoseInTheGrass

Another way to satisfy all of the parameters that you've set might be to choose a vintage or estate ring, whether or not it's a diamond. You would not be contributing to conflict stones or using new metal. You probably would not be buying from a large corporation. And you might find some extraordinary craftsmanship in a vintage piece.
myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

JerseyGirlVA Posts : 311 Registered: 9/17/09
Posted: Nov 9, 2009 7:14 PM Go to message in response to: myra

I'm going to agree with Myra here- antique shops, estate sales and auctions have some beautiful rings with such character! I have seen gorgeous rings at a local antique shop and have been tempted to buy them myself. There's just something about an engagement ring that hasn't been mass produced.

lesasue86 Posts : 75 Registered: 9/8/09
Posted: Nov 11, 2009 4:48 AM Go to message in response to: NoseInTheGrass

I think there is no big deal in buying new metal rings, what difference should it make. After all for such a special day, i wouldn't think about spending money on a ring. And diamonds are precious, they say it all. I prefer diamond ring for my wedding.
pearl jewelry store

Posted: Nov 19, 2009 2:16 PM Go to message in response to: lesasue86

THe reason I want recycled metal is because I want to make the least amount of impact on the Earth as possible. Just because its a special day for me, it doesn't mean I should get new metal.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Posted: Nov 19, 2009 2:17 PM Go to message in response to: lesasue86

Oh I forgot. I don't want a diamond because most diamonds are sold to help fund wars. I like the way diamonds look, but really, I'd rather know I"m not killing people just to wear something pretty and sparkly.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

NessaRae615 Posts : 675 Registered: 9/23/08
Posted: Nov 20, 2009 2:59 PM Go to message in response to: NoseInTheGrass

Nose~ That ring is beautiful and makes me want one!

Matell~ Wow is all I have to say to yours!! I have NEVER seen anything like it!!

I had a hard time deciding what I wanted. I picked out THE ring years before I met my DH and figured it was long gone. So i created my own, and my mother said I could have the diamonds from her rings. When she went to speak to our jewler about having it made, my ring was still there!! It was a consignment ring someone brought into the store probably 7 years before I got it.

So nose, if that ring doesn't work out as the other ladies here have suggested with antique rings, or estate sales, check a local small jewlery shop for consignment rings.

Posted: Nov 22, 2009 1:30 PM Go to message in response to: NessaRae615

I was actually just thinking about that last night. We have a few consignment shops around here that are great and I'm sure there are few wonderful rings in them.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

darylicel Posts : 28 Registered: 11/23/09
Posted: Nov 26, 2009 10:48 AM Go to message in response to: NoseInTheGrass

as much as possible i want my ring to be as simple but with a touch of elegant. i am not fond of gold rings so i'd rather choose silver or white gold. i like it something like one of these..

http://palladiumringshop.com/images/wedding_ring_diamond_set_bnxd755_5.jpg
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_YY4PgO13jd8/ST_QEgPb7eI/AAAAAAAACH8/89sRYRTTXuw/s400/hawaiian_wedding_ring_50066.jpg

Wedding venue in Berkshire Country House Weddings

1stKiss4Him Posts : 32 Registered: 8/26/09
Posted: Dec 1, 2009 9:17 PM Go to message in response to: darylicel

I wanted a platinum princess cut ring.. but I saw the ring he had picked out and it's much more perfect for our situation. It's a pink heart diamond with little round diamonds on each side. A heart represents love and this is definitely my true love so it's perfect!!!!

Future Mrs K.

Part of a poem I wrote called Eternity

When separation deprivation sinks in
When the route to happiness is an eternity away
I dream of you and eternity is within my reach
Not knowing where you be next
Praying that God knows best
Whispering "I love you" to the sky
Hoping you’ll hear these words and know why
I'm part a part of you, always and for all time
Search your heart like I do when I'm away from you
My breath coincides with the rhythm of yours
So breathe and let my image fade within your heart
And for eternity where ever we go
We'll never be alone

InLoveWDRM Posts : 52 Registered: 12/3/09
Posted: Dec 4, 2009 11:22 PM Go to message in response to: NoseInTheGrass

That ring is reallllyyy pretty.!
=) I am a pretty picky person myself.
BUT I feel that the engagement ring is
from the guy, he is asking you to be his
wife and it should be his job/task to find a ring
that he wants you to have. I am EXTREMELY
picky but I am fine with whatever he has chosen
which I have seen the one I think I am getting
and its beautiful, It is a diamond I like the longevity
of the ring. BUT it is good that you are educated in the
field that you want your ring from that way you know
what you are getting! Good luck I hope you get it soon.!

Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄ƷFuture Mrs. David Robert McMahan!Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ

AlwaysSublime Posts : 28 Registered: 9/17/08
Posted: Dec 7, 2009 12:21 AM Go to message in response to: NoseInTheGrass

My boyfriend and I started looking at rings last weekend, so I feel like I have a pretty good idea of what style I want. I was drawn to the ones with the "halo" around the diamond - where the diamond is surrounded by a square of smaller diamonds. For the diamond itself I'm hoping for an asscher cut!

Great idea to get recycled metal! That never crossed my mind to ask if the jeweler has that available. I am also aware of the effects of conflict diamonds. Most of the jewelers I have been to confirmed they abide by the Kimberly Process and the Clean Diamond Trade Act. Whether I can trust them or not... that may be another story.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine