Flower girl nephew

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 35

Geekluv Posts : 11 Registered: 12/9/09
Re: Flower girl nephew
Posted: Dec 10, 2009 10:35 PM Go to message in response to: mskandi

There is an old tradition of having a young child run down the isle with a lantern to ward off evil spirits before anyone else walks the isle. Maybe you should offer one boy this position and the other boy ring bearer?

I can't remember exactly which tradition; I believe it is dutch. You can look it up though I'm sure.

Love isn't hopeless. Look, maybe I'm no expert on the subject, but there was one time I got it right. - Homer Simpson @}----

Twili Posts : 9 Registered: 12/28/09
Posted: Dec 30, 2009 2:29 PM Go to message in response to: Geekluv

I can agree to a point that having the boy in a dress against his and his parent's will is a bad idea, but if they're all down for it why not?
Surely you will not make some 'horrible tranny' out of him for that if equally embarassing pictures of him in a cheerleaders dress exist. His outcome would first be blamed on his parents for the halloween costume.
Besides, his parents were perfectly fine with him dressing like a girl anyway, surely they're not worried about his future or they're good enough parents to love him no matter what.

I'm not saying you should try and get him in a dress, but I don't see where the harm in it is if he agrees to it. Hes 6, plenty old enough to voice his opinion on what he wants to do. Pick some options and let him decide, that way the only person he has to blame when hes older is himself.

The lantern idea is awesome, but I'd be careful giving a 6 year old fire, I know when I was young I loved fire a little too much, you don't want to burn the venue down lol.

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Dec 30, 2009 2:39 PM Go to message in response to: Twili

There are those electric lights though that flicker and what not. That's a neat option!

And IMHO, a pic in a costume VS a formal pic in a wedding is VERY different. I mean, it's embarassing to see pics of ourselves naked in the bath or naked in red cowboy boots and a cowboy hat (yes that was me) but those are silly - a wedding has more meaning than a goofy pic snapped on the fly by parents.

Twili Posts : 9 Registered: 12/28/09
Posted: Dec 30, 2009 4:02 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

You're right I totally forgot about those little flicker lights! I do really like the lantern idea, I might use that myself.

I suppose it really depends on who you are and how you were raised based on how embarassed you are to see your naked baby bottom. I personally love my naked baby pictures and think my naked baby bottom was the cutest ever. I personally don't see any reason to be embarassed by anything mentioned on this thread so far especially if it happened when I was 6.
But again, I think it depends on how you were raised, my family was uber conservative so I naturally ran far far away from it. XD

mskandi Posts : 3 Registered: 10/19/09
Posted: Jan 31, 2010 2:00 PM Go to message in response to: Twili

Hello Twili,
First, thank you for your positive and understanding message. I just noticed it now because I hadn't been back on this site since my original posts. I felt most of the responses were very negative and condescending. I posted to get feedback if anyone else had seen or been part of a similar situation. I wasn't expecting to be made fun of. It was an idea based on a series of events, not to try and force my nephew into wearing a dress.
I did mention to my SIL that I posted here and she did read the posts from a couple months ago. She was pretty shocked, not by my original post, but by the responses it triggered. She was going to write some pretty harsh things back but I convinced her it wasn't worth it. We then had a great laugh about the idea.
When I talk to her later today I'll let her know about what you wrote.
As some implied in their posts, I'm not some crazed out bride that is demanding everything be my way. Quite the opposite, we want it to be a fun easy going celebration. We are paying for the wedding ourselves. It will be very close family and friends with less than 75 people total. The wedding party is small and made up of very close relatives. I'm only having a 'Matron of Honor' and one bridesmaid (SIL). We are covering the cost of all the dresses and suiting as well, BTW my wedding dress is a clearance sample and is less expensive than the flower girl dress that started all this...LOL
Thanks again and all is good!!!

Conway4 Posts : 1 Registered: 3/28/13
Posted: Mar 28, 2013 9:28 PM Go to message in response to: mskandi

I disagree with most of the other respondents, I think your idea is wonderful. Wearing a dress is a sensory experience that should not be denied to a boy who is interested or curious, or whose mother thinks he would benefit from it. A wedding is a perfect scenario to legitimize pushing a ridiculous social boundry. The day is all about love and acceptance.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine