How to not have your period while on BC pills.

Online Users: 1,249 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 10

CheetahAngel Posts : 2,017 Registered: 11/29/08
How to not have your period while on BC pills.
Posted: Oct 7, 2009 4:08 PM

I know some of you ladies know this and can help me out here. I'm on birth control pills and I want to know what I need to do in order to not have my period come for one month. I really don't want my period on my honeymoon and so the only way is to book the honeymoon 2 weeks after the wedding or to stop my period from coming. Do I take or not take the sugar pills that month? Do I start a new pack right before the sugar pills? Have any of you done this before? Thanks!

Daisypath Wedding tickers

Visit my wedding website http://www.mywedding.com/alanandjarlyn

Sign my guestbook!!! :)

DoesntPlayNice Posts : 809 Registered: 12/17/08
Re: How to not have your period while on BC pills.
Posted: Oct 7, 2009 4:59 PM Go to message in response to: CheetahAngel

The best thing to do is talk to your doctor...but the answer is you do not take the sugar pills and immediatly start a new pack. Keep in mind that this may not work for you if this is the first time you have ever done it. You may spot or cycle as normal.

Previously Posted as Military Bride.

CEO of E.N.E.M.A. (Enemy Negotiations & Extraction Military Agency) A special Division of P.O.O.P. (People Offended by Offended People)

When POOP can't do it alone....they call for the ENEMA.

karebeartg Posts : 831 Registered: 6/25/08
Posted: Oct 7, 2009 5:26 PM Go to message in response to: DoesntPlayNice

It also depends on what type of pill you take. I switched back to Yasmin from Yaz because I found I couldn't adjust my period at all (and I admit to being a serial period mover - I like when it's "convenient.")

Your doctor might also have a recommendation to make you skip it entirely for a month.

agd1017 Posts : 464 Registered: 9/14/09
Posted: Oct 7, 2009 5:29 PM Go to message in response to: CheetahAngel

Cheetah, I'd definitely talk to your doctor about it. He/she can better advise you on this. But, from what I've heard, you just don't take the sugar pills, and start a new pack. I'd guess there might be some light bleeding, especially the first time you do that. So maybe do it a couple months ahead? I don't know. But talk to your doctor. I am going to be doing the same.

Amanda and Eric
10/10/10

Amanda and Eric

jellybean91908 Posts : 216 Registered: 2/9/09
Posted: Oct 7, 2009 10:01 PM Go to message in response to: CheetahAngel

Cheetah, from what I understand most doctors generally agree that skipping your period is fine as long as you don't do it every month. I did it in high school for prom - I had a white dress and was due for my period that Saturday. I had never tried to skip my period before. I was taking ortho tricyclen lo and simply started a new pack instead of taking the sugar pills, and I did not have any problems.

Your doctor may have a specific opinion or more information based on the type of birth control you are taking. Also, keep in mind that stress can affect your period regardless of whether you are on birth control, so nature may still have its way with you.

Future Mrs. Millington

wedding planning guide

My planning blog: 

http://michaelandcaitlinforever.blogspot.com/

FutureMrsDJLeo Posts : 615 Registered: 2/26/09
Posted: Oct 7, 2009 11:28 PM Go to message in response to: CheetahAngel

I'm pretty sure you just skip the sugar pills, or you can try taking one of those pills that makes you only get your period every 3-4 months. But definitly talk to your doctor. One thing though, if you've never done any of that before, I wouldn't rely on it because everyone's different. Sometimes you'll still get the spotting, or you could still get your period. If you're period is regular for the most part and your pretty sure you won't have it 2 weeks after the wedding, I would just book the honeymoon for then, that'd probably be your safest bet.

BirdLover Posts : 2,834 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Oct 8, 2009 1:59 AM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsDJLeo

Definitely talk to your doctor, for no other reason than the fact that this type of thing doesn't work with every type of birth control pill. For example, I don't think it's as effective with triphasic pills compared to monophasic ones.

I know from experience, as it definitely DIDN'T work for me, and I never knew why until my doctor told me that my pill tends to be a problem!
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

MissApril Posts : 276 Registered: 1/21/09
Posted: Oct 8, 2009 2:31 AM Go to message in response to: BirdLover

Careful! I had a friend who tried that and landed her ass in the hospital. She had a rare blood pressure reaction to that sort of thing. Or something like that. I never got all the details but it was because she tried to push back her period. But then I, on the other hand, am on seasonale and go months without a period. I even push it back a whole month if I have to for convienence. So like all the other PPs said talk to your doctor. And definately try it out once or twice if you can before the honeymoon. Also, if you go this route, your period may be a few days late in the week because of the ammount of hormones in the pills (the 3-month cycle pills). I always stop on a Sunday but have never bled before Wednesday. So also consider if you can handle that level of paranoia that never, ever goes away, no matter how many times it happens.
CoolStick your head out the window and smile for a satellite picture!Tongue out

FutureMrsDJLeo Posts : 615 Registered: 2/26/09
Posted: Oct 8, 2009 3:42 AM Go to message in response to: MissApril

I took seasonel not too long after it came out, it was great because you rarely got your period, but your right about the paranoia! That was not fun! I had to stop it though because it gave me terrible migraines. I'm already a migraine sufferer, but I had one pretty much every day, it got to the point where even if I didn't have one, in my mind I felt like I had one because I always got them, then I was getting so sick (vomitting, I felt like I had the flu and the flu before would always put me in the hospital), I almost lost my job at the time because I always had to call in or leave early due to getting sick or a migraine. I was originally put on it for medical reasons, but it was affecting my life in such a negative way I had to stop, I haven't taken any kind of pill since then because I'm scared, even though I was on the pill before that.

CheetahAngel Posts : 2,017 Registered: 11/29/08
Posted: Oct 8, 2009 12:33 PM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsDJLeo

Thanks for all of the advice. I will call my doctor and ask before I even attempt to try. The thing is that if I do get my period it will only be for the last 2 days of the honeymoon anyway so maybe I can just suck it up and deal with it. Not sure. I hate being a woman at times lol. But thanks again ladies!

Daisypath Wedding tickers

Visit my wedding website http://www.mywedding.com/alanandjarlyn

Sign my guestbook!!! :)

BirdLover Posts : 2,834 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Oct 8, 2009 2:21 PM Go to message in response to: CheetahAngel

Cheetah - I hear you on the "hating being a woman" thing!

Funny, the year before I got pregnant, I only got my period twice. Everyone told me I was so lucky. But I was NOT lucky...I wasn't ovulating, making it extremely difficult to get pregnant! I had to take fertility medication to conceive!

Now that...there's a part of me that hopes that this year will be a re-cap of that year, lol.
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine