Any cheap cars worth it?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 15

MissApril Posts : 276 Registered: 1/21/09
Any cheap cars worth it?
Posted: Sep 8, 2009 1:13 AM

I'm in the market for a new-to-me car and I was just wondering if anybody has had any perticularly good or bad luck with specific makes and models. Just trying to get an idea of what to look for and what to avoid.

I'll start. Cavaliers (espically the unlucky purple ones) are best avoided unless you're only going to drive them in town during light traffic times. And my fiancÚ had bad luck with an Elantra, but he's a pretty insane driver so I don't know if that counts.
CoolStick your head out the window and smile for a satellite picture!Tongue out

MrsRicecake Posts : 700 Registered: 2/2/08
Re: Any cheap cars worth it?
Posted: Sep 8, 2009 7:03 PM Go to message in response to: MissApril

Cavaliers are so sucky! LOL! My sister has a 2003 with like 30000 miles on it...so older but low miles. She has had nothing but problems!

I drive a 2000 Honda Accord..nearly 200000 miles-EWEY! And it runs like it is brand new and is amazing on gas. I know that they are a little on the pricey side, but they go and go and go....well worth it! My other sister drives a Merecedes and is going to be trading it in for a Honda (my car is her old car before the Merecedes). And if you live in an area that gets a lot of snow...it does amazingly! Last winter I had to drive from work to my home-oh about 30 miles-in about 2 feet of snow making my own path, I passed serveral SUVs and other cars stuck on the side of the road. I didnt get stuck until I got about a mile from home and stopped at a red light (shouldnt have stopped my mistake) but yelled at it and it jolted!

Formerly FMR2008 

Married Since December 27, 2008!

Posted: Sep 8, 2009 10:30 PM Go to message in response to: MrsRicecake

Thanks I'll look at what's available arround here as far as acords go. I live about an hour south of Chicago (assuming traffic is good) so we do get some pretty insane snow cover. My fiancÚ has a ford mustang now and it's been beautiful, despite being low to the ground so I've been looking at them but they're all so damn expensive. But then... quality isn't cheap.

FutureMrsDJLeo Posts : 615 Registered: 2/26/09
Posted: Sep 9, 2009 12:21 AM Go to message in response to: MrsRicecake

I agree about the accords! I have an 01 Accord and everything has been great! It's roomy (for a coupe) and drives so nice! I recently had to replace a couple of things on it because it was at 112,000 miles, so it was the right time for the replacements, and the shop couldn't believe how well my car was for being that old and that many miles, the guy told me usually there's at least 1 other part that needs to be replaced at that mileage, not required, but still needs it.

Also, they drive good in the snow too!

Stephorse Posts : 138 Registered: 1/31/08
Posted: Sep 9, 2009 6:40 PM Go to message in response to: MissApril

My husband used to drive a red 94 honda civic and they just got rid of it about a year ago. It was a very good car. 3 boys pretty much drove that thing right into the ground, and it was still not in too bad of condition when they got rid of it! My MIL also drives an accord and she loves it! She could not imagine getting any other car. It is reliable and great with gas! No problems what so ever!

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Sep 10, 2009 10:31 AM Go to message in response to: MrsRicecake

Cavaliers are so sucky! LOL! My sister has a 2003 with like 30000 miles on it...so older but low miles. She has had nothing but problems!

Really? I drove a '97 Cavalier Z24 for nearly ten years. By the time I was done with it, it had over 230,000 miles on it and I had never had a single mechanical problem with it. Other than regular maintenance, the only thing I ever had to fix was the driver's side window, which crapped out on me during a long trip. Sucked to have to open my door to pay tolls, but it was an easy fix once I got to my destination. So I had a great experience with my cavalier...but I take very good care of my cars.
Regardless of the 'cheapness' of a car, how well it will hold up over time depends on how well you take care of it. During the time I had my 'cheap' cavalier, my dad went through 3 more expensive cars. The differences? I change my oil regularly - he does not. I put top quality products and parts in my cars - he buys the cheap stuff. I drive reasonably - he speeds and waits until the last second to slam on his brakes. The moment I notice something not performing as well as it should, I fix it - my dad waits until it breaks or doesn't get around to fixing it until it has started causing other problems. Every time I drive a car that my dad owns - regardless of how new or how expensive it is - I notice mechanical issues. Yet my old Cavalier never had a squeak, rattle, or leak.

While I don't drive a 'cheap' car anymore, I think they're a good value for your money - as long as you take good care of them. Likewise, you also need to take good care of more expensive cars. The bottom line is that you're going to have to invest a lot in good maintenance to get your money's worth out of ANY car. There's no magic sticker price that means you can ignore your car's problems and never have car trouble - but high-quality, regular maintenance goes a long way, no matter how how much you pay for your car. Some cars have better stock parts - but there are certain things that I'd replace on ANY car, just because I trust brands that I know more than stock parts or I believe that certain parts needs to be replaced regularly (even if they're not broken) to keep the car running well.

My fiancé has a ford mustang now and it's been beautiful, despite being low to the ground so I've been looking at them but they're all so damn expensive. But then... quality isn't cheap.

Just noticed this. My mom drives a mustang (I think it's an 06 or 07 GT) and the only good thing about it is that it got her into a sporty-looking car for a good price. As far as quality goes, the thing's a pile of trash. And it's terrible in the snow, though it would probably do better if she got some better tires. It doesn't have much horsepower and it handles terribly at the best of times. She's also had some mechanical issues with it already, but she's not very good at taking care of cars, so they might be her own fault. Anyway, I just thought I'd let you know that I'm very unimpressed with the quality of the newer mustangs. Heck, my mom wanted a mustang and she's not impressed with its quality.
DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

Edited by: ArtBride on Sep 10, 2009 10:31 AM

Posted: Sep 10, 2009 11:31 AM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

ArtBride--
That's weird that your mom had so many problems with her 'Stang. The V8 engines are heavy so in the snow they're actually pretty good. Maybe she had performance tires instead of snow tires? FH's is an '05 GT. He got it last year in August and it did amazingly through one of the worst winters we've seen in a long time. But you do have a valid point. It is more about how you maintain it. Except for Hyundai Elantras. Found out through one of my friends who is a mechanic that his Elantra was always a mess no matter what he did.

NessaRae615 Posts : 675 Registered: 9/23/08
Posted: Sep 10, 2009 1:40 PM Go to message in response to: MissApril

Wow I am amazed at how many people love their Hondas. I am a firm beliver in buying domestic.

I agree with Art that it depends on the maitnence and how wel you take care of your vehical. I love Jeeps, mainly the original Cherokees. I have a friend who drives one and can't wait to get rid of it due to all the problems she has had. I am currently driving my Dad's Cherokee and it is probably an '87 or so. He drives that thing like a mad man in the mountains. The only problem we have had with it is it has recently developed a leak in the clutch, so we have to keep an eye on the level of fluid, other than that it runs amazingly. We also have a Ford Explorer, a '96, granted I haven't had much time to get used to it for myself, it was my Mom's for several years, and she didn't have many problems with it, other than the radiator went out (was problems with it from the previous owner) and every radiator the machanic tried ended up being defective. Now my parents gave it to DH and I with a cracked head, which was no one fault, it happens, other than that it runs great, and is great in the snow (not as good as the Jeep though). I however swear by my Pontiac Grand Am. I love that thing!! It runs amazingly. Well it did until the water pump busted (which I asked my dad to fix about 2 months previous and he said it was fine....) and took the whole engine out with it. That thing handles amazingly, has power, and is great in the snow! I forgot who said it about their Honda, but I can pass people in SUVs and Trucks in the snow with no problem whatever. I have slid a few times, but that is because I got cocky.

uno Posts : 619 Registered: 1/4/08
Posted: Sep 10, 2009 3:25 PM Go to message in response to: MissApril

I currently have an 03 Nissan Altima and love it. I love it so much that I would get another (or a Maxima) as a future car. Right now I think it has about 75,000 miles on it and runs great. It's spacious in the back seat and has a great sized trunk.

I don't think that how much you spend on a car determines it's quality... because in reality, a Lexus is a Toyota (made similarly, on a the same frame with the same kind of engines). But I agree that you need to take care and service the car to make it last a while.

My husband is a mechanic and is particular about maintenance and just in general knows which cars typically have the same problems over and over. For instance, Chrystler's are known for having transmission problems around 100,000 miles. He loves my Altima and would love for me to get another one when the time comes to get a new car. He also loves the VW Jetta (TDI gets 40mpg in town) and suggested we look into those as well.

OP - you said your friend is a mechanic: make sure you take your potential new-to-you car to him and let him look around and see what he thinks. He will know what he's talking about so listen to him! When my husband checks out cars for his clients and tells them what is going to break soon and what needs repaired, they rarely listen to him and then come back saying "i should have listened to you" when they have to put in a new transmission or something shortly after they buy it.

DoesntPlayNice Posts : 809 Registered: 12/17/08
Posted: Sep 10, 2009 3:41 PM Go to message in response to: uno

I didn't read through all the other posts but according to consumer reports Toyota and Honda are the best cars to buy.

From my experience I would NOT buy a sports car. Sports cars are made to be more compact and therefore are harder to work on. I had a Pontiac Grand Prix GTO and everytime that sucker had to be worked on the cost was insane because they had to lift the engine and that is costly.

Previously Posted as Military Bride.

CEO of E.N.E.M.A. (Enemy Negotiations & Extraction Military Agency) A special Division of P.O.O.P. (People Offended by Offended People)

When POOP can't do it alone....they call for the ENEMA.

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Sep 10, 2009 3:51 PM Go to message in response to: MissApril

I think my mom just might not know how to drive a rear-wheel drive car in the snow. She does not get snow tires, but has all-weather tires. That said, however, I've driven her car in the snow as well and I've found that it doesn't handle nearly as well as my rear-wheel drive car does. I don't have snow tires on mine, either, since I live in an area where it rarely snows - but I do know how it handles in the snow, as I drive it home to MA every winter, which is my only chance to play with it in the snow.

All I can say is that I'm very unimpressed with her Mustang. We both drive sporty, V8 real-wheel drive cars. Hers was less expensive than mine, but not by much. Mine has WAY more horsepower, handles much better, performs better in the snow, and has generally worn better over time - though some of the wear issues probably have to do with our differences in maintaining our cars. But I certainly wouldn't call my mom's mustang a good-quality vehicle. The only good thing about it is its looks.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

NJ4Life Posts : 3,358 Registered: 8/10/07
Posted: Sep 10, 2009 4:29 PM Go to message in response to: MissApril

I love hearing people's different opinions on cars. It's like whenever someone gets a lemon, they swear they will never buy that brand again! Everyone has a different reason for not buying X brand. It's funny. Like DH, he will never buy another VW again. He HATED his Jetta so much. Not that I like VWs myself but he refuses to ever have one in his driveway again. But I know many other people who swear by VW. For me its Saturn. (and really all of GM/Domestic now). My Saturn was a piece! While it got me where I needed to go, and looked cute at the same time, when it didnt start in the winter every other day, was pretty inconvenient! So I will never buy another GM again!

I think you can have good luck with an inexpensive car if you take care of it and maintain it. Even though my Saturn was kinda crappy, I put well over 100K miles on it ans drove it for 6+ yrs. But I got regular oil changes and didn't have too many other problems. I now drive a Nissan Rogue and I LOVE it. I will probably stick with Nissan or Japanese brands from now on. Very reliable, smooth running.

New Jersey: We have dumps, bays and cement boots and we know how to use 'em

MandyandVance Posts : 650 Registered: 4/10/06
Posted: Sep 10, 2009 10:01 PM Go to message in response to: NJ4Life

NJ, why does your DH hate VW? I'm just wondering because I have always loved Jettas and I really want one - and I have heard great things about them. I currently drive a 2005 cobalt and it is great but it is getting up there in mileage so I want a jetta as my next car....but they are pricey too aren't they?

And this might be a stupid question but if I do end up going with VW can I trade in my chevrolet car with them or can I only trade in my car with chevrolet? Sorry if that sounds stupid, I am clueless with this stuff :).

Posted: Sep 10, 2009 10:04 PM Go to message in response to: MissApril

Another random thought I had about the Mustang. FH is a spoiled brat and has performance parts in his, too. Like a Steeda cold air intake and underdrive pulleys so more horsepower gets to his weather-specific wheels. Yeah, you guys are right. It's all about maintenance. And I'm only gonna go car shopping when my mechanic friend has time to go with me. I live within walking distance from work so I can wait.

Kimberly212 Posts : 972 Registered: 9/12/12
Posted: Sep 24, 2012 9:59 PM Go to message in response to: MissApril

A-line Dark Purple Strapless Drape Floor-length Prom Dress With Embellished Trim
Save up to 30% off on New Trend Prom Dress,the price is just $139.95, It's the cheapest,bug gorgeous dress.

http://www.juliebridalshop.com/aline-dark-purple-strapless-drape-floorlength-prom-dress-with-embellished-trim-p-31748.html

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine