I TOTALLY did not expect this, now what?

Online Users: 1,352 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 6

MrsJDtobe Posts : 159 Registered: 2/15/09
I TOTALLY did not expect this, now what?
Posted: Aug 27, 2009 10:29 AM

I had my first fitting a few weeks ago (wedding October 11). It's a corset back mermaid/trumpet style gown that's strapless. I got the corset back to be able to adjust for those last minute losses/gains that are normal in women. Well, it was a smidge tight in the thigh area. According to the dress maker it fit like a glove, but I didn't want to feel like a sausage. So she said "don't lose more than 3-5 pounds". The problem is I have this problem area I hate, my arms.

I used to be very thin (95-98 pounds) and I am about 5'3"- 5'4". I was an avid athlete and was training for the iron girl triathlon. I hurt my knee and couldn't work out and gained weight. Well it seemed that my arms took the hit the worst. So I told her I would try to just focus on toning, so my dress would fit ok. I've been going to the gym and eating really healthy, but I have lost way more than she said to...16 pounds so far. Which is fantastic and I'd never complain normally, but I am scared about my dress.

My next fitting is Sept 12th. So, do I try to lose it all by then and get to that goal so she can make the final adjustments or continue the course and maybe get a 3rd alteration? Or do I just try to maintain from here (I do not want to do this since I am not at my goal yet). I feel nuts that this would be a problem, which normally I'd be jumping for joy, but I want my dress the fit well. My only hope is that the corset back style is what saves me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On October 11, 2009, my cop will forever be cuffed to my heart ;-)

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Re: I TOTALLY did not expect this, now what?
Posted: Aug 27, 2009 10:47 AM Go to message in response to: MrsJDtobe

The corset back will be pretty forgiving, but 16 lbs is a lot of weight. Also, it'll depend on where you've lost it. I would call the seamstress and ask to come in earlier than your scheduled fitting. Tell her the situation. Your dress may need more serious alterations than you initially thought, which might take her longer.

As far as whether to maintain your weight or keep losing, I would maintain it. You might not be at your goal yet, but you need to fit into that dress soon without it hanging off you. I would maintain your weight for now and go back to actively trying to lose weight after your wedding.

The good news is that dresses are easier to take in than they are to take out. The other good news is that the corset back will be forgiving (I lost a few pounds between my fitting and the wedding and my corset-back dress fit fine...but I lost the weight in my waist) Where you lost the weight is going to be key. If it's in the waist, you might be Ok (but 16 lbs is still a lot). If it was in the boobs or hips, you'll probably have an issue, particularly with a mermaid-style dress.

Anyway, my advice is to call the seamstress right away and have her do what she can for the dress. Then try to stick to your current weight. Great job on the weight loss, but I'd hold off on losing more until after the wedding. You're already probably pushing the boundaries of how far your dress can be altered and maintain its style, so I wouldn't push it further.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

His4life Posts : 117 Registered: 4/7/09
Posted: Aug 27, 2009 10:51 AM Go to message in response to: MrsJDtobe

that is amazing that you have manage to loose 16 lbs, congrats! I am trying to loose about 10 but have gotten no where and I have been going to the gym at least 4 times per week and eating moderately healthy....I just stay the same but I am more tone....

anyways to answer your question my last alteration appointment is going to be 5 days before my wedding. I was told that if something needed to be done that they will do it before I have to leave to my DW wedding... If she is a good seamstress she will be able to make it work. Good luck an congrats on your weight loss!

Celiny Posts : 285 Registered: 7/23/07
Posted: Sep 2, 2009 10:51 AM Go to message in response to: His4life

I would say to just maintain after your next fitting. I also lost 15 lbs the last couple months leading up to my wedding. When I had the dress taken in, she made it too tight around my rib cage, and not tight enough around my lower waist and hips (mine was also a mermaid/trumpet style). It ended up looking like an A-line because it was too loose. Luckily yours is a corset style. Mine had a zipper. I know you said you have your last fitting 5 days before the wedding so you will be fine if she needs to take it in. However, she could hack the job like my seamstress did, and then you're out of time and out of luck.

preview image 

lesasue86 Posts : 75 Registered: 9/8/09
Posted: Oct 21, 2009 1:06 AM Go to message in response to: MrsJDtobe

There is no need to get upset, infact you should be happy, the corset dress looks best when you are slim. And about the fitting, you better keep a third alteration right before wedding. So if you still lose more weight after secong trail then the third alteration will save you on your wedding day.
pearl jewelry store

JenniferWillson Posts : 70 Registered: 9/12/12
Posted: Sep 12, 2012 8:09 AM Go to message in response to: MrsJDtobe

Save up to 22% off on New Trend Wedding Dress,the price is just $218.95, It's the cheapest,bug gorgeous dress.

http://www.juliebridalshop.com/ball-gown-strapless-ruffles-organza-wedding-dress-style-giselle-p-33756.html

jackson132 Posts : 1,623 Registered: 9/13/12
Posted: Dec 24, 2012 2:49 PM Go to message in response to: MrsJDtobe

Wedding dresses from famous wedding designers are promoting now.
http://www.okaydress.com/wedding-dress-designers-c-65.html
Mori Lee Wedding Dress Style 5107 is just $349.99.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine