Fat & Happy

Online Users: 1,302 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 15

FrancieElaine Posts : 654 Registered: 6/26/09
Fat & Happy
Posted: Aug 19, 2009 6:59 PM

Has anyone else gained weight since they got married? I have gained like 10 lbs. and I am freaking out! Is this normal? Ahhhh!!!!!!!!!

Francie Elaine, The Bride Whisperer

www.bride-whisperer.com

http://twitter.com/BrideWhispering

Brooke051609 Posts : 723 Registered: 12/31/07
Re: Fat & Happy
Posted: Aug 19, 2009 7:19 PM Go to message in response to: FrancieElaine

YES!!! I attribute most of mine to the fact that I'm still unemployed and sit around all day! I mean I still go workout, but I'm used to working out, working LONG shifts where I don't sit down for a minute, climb stairs, lift animals, walk everywhere, etc etc etc... and when I was wedding planning I was always on the move! I've gained prob 5 pounds, but I'm very short, so it shows quickly! I tried on some shorts the other day I wore for the honeymoon and they are quite snug now! :( Ugh!! I can't wait to get back to work and do something! haha

The other reason I think many of us gain weight is that we "settle" down, we tend to be not quite as active, and we eat like our spouse! For me, my DH eats HORRIBLY!!! I cook healthy, but if we go out it's BAD BAD BAD!! I totally enjoy it, but the snug clothes... not so much! I forget, but there's a statistic that says within the first year of marriage you gain x amount of pounds on average.... ugh! I plan to get back on track as soon as I can get back to work!!

Daisypath

"Come What May...."

kennysoldwife Posts : 3,859 Registered: 4/28/07
Posted: Aug 19, 2009 7:52 PM Go to message in response to: FrancieElaine

Why are you freaking out over 10 pounds? I have gained over 100 pounds and I am not freaking out.

Kenny and me perfect together, 10 years and counting

Sucks to be you, So glad I am me

Proud Member of P.O.O.P,  People Offended by Offended People

wedding websites

Celiny Posts : 285 Registered: 7/23/07
Posted: Aug 19, 2009 11:04 PM Go to message in response to: kennysoldwife

Yes, I have definitely gained weight. I gained about 15 lbs within 3 months of us getting married. Then I got pregnant, and put on 50 more pounds! Grrr! My son is now 4 months, and I'm still trying to lose the weight. I have about 40 - 50 lbs to lose at this point. I feel very insecure about my rolls, but my husband is constantly telling me how beautiful I am. Maybe that's why I haven't been more motivated. lol
I think a bit of weight gain after marriage is normal because you don't have the stress of fitting into the wedding dress, and you get really comfortable. As long as you are happy and healthy, there's nothing to worry about. If you're not happy, then in turn, your hubby won't be happy either.

Speaking of hubbies, mine just got home from work :)

preview image 

Posted: Aug 20, 2009 10:45 AM Go to message in response to: Brooke051609

I'm glad I am not the only one! My jeans won't fit and it's almost fall. I have to do something FAST!
Just because I am married.. doesn't mean that I want to give up my "hottie look". LOL!

www.bride-whisperer.com

Posted: Aug 20, 2009 10:51 AM Go to message in response to: kennysoldwife

Well... the thing is about five years ago I became very ill and had to go on a large dose of steroids for several months. I gained 70 lbs. I had never been overweight in my life and it was really hard. My weight was close to 200 lbs. and I am only 5'5". During that time, I found out my husband was having an affair and so I left... after 20 years of marriage. I was still very ill and pretty much lost everything in the divorce. I did get the weight off though.... it's amazing how divorce will do that. I guess I am just afraid the weight will creep back. I've worked really hard to be healthy again.. although I do have an autoimmune disease that I have to live with. But I have a new husband and a new life. I reckon it is just fear. Probably much more information than you wanted to know!

www.bride-whisperer.com

Posted: Aug 20, 2009 10:53 AM Go to message in response to: Celiny

You are so right about that! It is all about attitude! If you feel beautiful and healthy.. that just radiates from you! We are both lucky to have husbands who think we are beautiful. :)

Love every minute of your time as a Mommy. My son is 22 years old now and it seems like yesterday that he was a baby!

www.bride-whisperer.com

MsDenuninani Posts : 3,962 Registered: 3/16/07
Posted: Aug 20, 2009 11:36 AM Go to message in response to: FrancieElaine

Yes, I gained about 10-15 lbs in the year after our marriage. I just settled into life. I'm someone who if I'm not paying attention, I gain weight. And with hubs cooking, and us settling into watching TV instead of going out, I put on weight.

For me, I just got to the point where I was tired of wearing snug clothing, and I knew that if I didn't start doing something, 15lbs would turn into 50lbs. So I started paying attention -- I found trails near my apt to run on, and I started trying to incorporate more veggies into my diet. Now, when I cook, we eat more whole grains and veggies. He also tries to make veggies when he cooks, but he still makes fairly large portions and doesn't really pay attention to simple carbs. So I just ask him to make me smaller plates, or save half of my plate for lunch the next day.

I wish I could be one of those people who just sort of naturally doesn't have to pay attention to food and excercise, but I'm not. Watching my diet and activity level will be something that I will always have to do, at least if I want to keep my energy up and stay fit for a long-lasting life.

I have no issue with people who are fat & happy, but I do wish that they would put more value on being fit and happy.

"I'd hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, or insanity, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S. Thompson

kennysoldwife Posts : 3,859 Registered: 4/28/07
Posted: Aug 20, 2009 11:56 AM Go to message in response to: MsDenuninani

I have issues with people who are fat and don't care. I am overweight the reason for being overweight was due to illness. Once I got that taken care of I have decided to get healthy. I am not trying to be thin. I will not worry about what others think about my size. I only wish to be able to be a certain size the number on the scale won't matter.

I am comfortable with who I am. I have only recently begun a weight loss program because of certain physical issues. If my knees had not started bothering me I would have been fine with my size. I was healthy.

Kenny and me perfect together, 10 years and counting

Sucks to be you, So glad I am me

Proud Member of P.O.O.P,  People Offended by Offended People

wedding websites

MrsMcDAtLast Posts : 860 Registered: 1/1/07
Posted: Aug 20, 2009 2:58 PM Go to message in response to: kennysoldwife

Yes, I've gained weight since I got married, and so have 3 other couples I know since they got married. I think it's very normal.
Like Ms Denuninani, I have to exercise and watch what I eat a bit in order to stay in shape. And I do exercise but like Kenny's wife, I'm not trying to be a stick figure, I just want to be in shape to stay healthy. And I am still a bit overweight, but I still feel like an attractive person.

Posted: Aug 20, 2009 9:38 PM Go to message in response to: MsDenuninani

You are so right about having to watch more closely what you eat and your activity level. And of course I am 42, so everything changes and shifts. Thanks for your comments. I don't want my 15 to turn into 50!

www.bride-whisperer.com

Mushaboo Posts : 2,165 Registered: 3/22/08
Posted: Aug 25, 2009 9:49 AM Go to message in response to: kennysoldwife

Kenny- You're my hero. :-) You're posts always make me smile.

Regarding weight, my weight gain isn't attributed to being married. Mine is related to just changing BC and also starting training for a 5K. I have went up 8 lbs in the past 3 weeks. Here's the thing I can't get through my thick skull though. My body fat % has dropped 6%! DH says my legs look incredible. All I see is a number on the scale.

See, Kenny, that's why you have to be my hero. I need to get over the number!!!
Happiness is you MIL's face on a milk carton.

wedding ticker 

Posted: Aug 25, 2009 10:52 AM Go to message in response to: Mushaboo

YOU GO GIRL! That is awesome! You are right, we need to get over the number on the scale. But society is really hard on us! We are told we have to be thin to be important. It is one of those "unsaid rules" in our culture. I will say that the older I get the more comfortable I am in my own skin. I think women become most sexy in their mid 30's. Just my opinion.

www.bride-whisperer.com

ChristyBride Posts : 59 Registered: 1/7/08
Posted: Sep 1, 2009 5:03 PM Go to message in response to: FrancieElaine

me too - gained 10 lbs since the wedding (which was only in April!) Trying not to freak out but getting myself back on track with nightly dog walks, swimming, and healthy food. Annoyed with the snug clothes too. I'm going to try and get rid of those 10 lbs by December (wish me luck - it's hard for me to lose weight) so that I will feel good enough/healthy enough to hopefully start trying to start a family! This is my motivation, what is yours?

preview image

His4life Posts : 117 Registered: 4/7/09
Posted: Sep 10, 2009 10:48 AM Go to message in response to: Mushaboo

Mush just remember that muscle weighs more than fat! I bet you look really toned even though your scale says you have gained a few pounds.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine